PDA

View Full Version : Wiin 94 with green dot range report

jh45gun
12-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Just shot at 25 yards to get it sighted in using my 170 cast bullet loads and some 115 grain (Cast more like 130 grain when gas checked and lubed) bullets some what pointed and they shot really well with a charge of unique. Anyway I know some of you guys poo poo putting a scope or dot sight on a Win lever gun (This one I posted the picture of my mount a week ago) but I like it it is fast on the target and accurate. Well accurate at 25 yards I know the farther out you go the bigger the groups get with dot sights. No targets I was at a public range and did not want to hold up the other guys shooting by retrieving my targets. Those light bullets shot in tight clusters. The 170 grain ones were about an inch at 25 yards. I hate trying to shoot for groups in cold weather so I will do some more shooting in the spring when the weather is warmer.

fecmech
12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Well accurate at 25 yards I know the farther out you go the bigger the groups get with dot sights.
IMO dots are more accurate than irons at any range, what counts is what works for you. I'm almost 70 now and have dots on all my handguns and receiver or tangs on the levers. I can still shoot well with peeps and tangs but I do have a scout type mount on my 92 and use a 2X pistol scope for load development. I used a 2-10X scope on my 94AE for load development also. MY advice would be to go with what works best for you, to heck with the purists!

jh45gun
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Yea I can still use peep sight ok yet too I am 60 but I have Glaucoma which I am treating with eye drops and the beginning of cataracts so I prefer using optics on my guns though most ofmy handguns still have open sights, except my 22 S&W 22 A has a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it.