PDA

View Full Version : Ill fitting Hormady Gas Checks

malonjw
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
It seems I always have problems no one else has ever faced. With that said and out of the way... I cannot get gas checks (22 cal from Hornady) to fit on a 55 gr linotype bullet. I cast them with linotype metal and the base measures 0.216". I used an RCBS double cavity mold. The gentleman at RCBS told me the mold size for the base is suppose to be 0.216 and that is the case. Since the Hornady gas check has an I.D. of 0.214, it is hard to get something small to fit on something larger even if there is only 0.002" difference. Does anyone have any ideas?

gandydancer
12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
It seems I always have problems no one else has ever faced. With that said and out of the way... I cannot get gas checks (22 cal from Hornady) to fit on a 55 gr linotype bullet. I cast them with linotype metal and the base measures 0.216". I used an RCBS double cavity mold. The gentleman at RCBS told me the mold size for the base is suppose to be 0.216 and that is the case. Since the Hornady gas check has an I.D. of 0.214, it is hard to get something small to fit on something larger even if there is only 0.002" difference. Does anyone have any ideas?

go to NOE web site and order a bullet base chamfer tool. GD

ShooterAZ
12-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Or, you can get a small round head sheet metal screw (just a tad larger diameter than the check), screw it into the end of a short wooden dowel. Then press on the check with it to expand and flare the check just enough to where it will slip onto the boolit shank. It is kind of a PITA, but it does work.

454PB
12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
You can place a small ball bearing inside the check, and give it a tap with a hammer. That opens the check enough to start on the boolit, then press in completely home in your lubrisizer by placing a penny on the die opening and pressing down with the nose punch.

cbrick
12-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Not just you. Many years ago when I got sick of checks that simply wouldn't even go on much less fit correctly (SAECO's were the worst offenders) I made up three different types of gas check sizers, one for each caliber that I have molds for. I size the checks to both open up the angle of the sides and make the bottom of the check flat. Sizing checks is the biggest PITA that I do in my loading room right up until the time I install them. I don't have a mold that the checks don't slip right onto flat, square, against the base of the bullet and crimp on perfectly.

This is one type made from a Lyman M die, the plug was ground flat with a chamfered edge at the correct diameter for the caliber in question. The one in the picture is for 30 cal. For the anvil I used an RCBS extended shell holder (no hole in the center) ground flat & square on top. This works well but is the slowest of the three types .

56453 56454 56455

I can't find the pics of the other two right now but one of the others is simply a center punch which has a taper to it with the end ground off & shortened (slight chamfer on the edge) until it was the correct diameter for the caliber. This is the fastest of the three to use. The other one is a handy device made for me by a machinist friend, I only have one and it's in 35 cal.

Also there is a forum member that sells a check sizer & I can't right now remember who. A search should turn it up though.

Rick

MT Gianni
12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Ten years ago I sent a Saeco mold back with checks from 3 different packages as it would not fit with any of them. Thet recut the base or replaced it. The point is to try checks from another lot as well.

milprileb
12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Almost had whip lash, you guys are swaging gas checks ? That has got to be a slow torture but I understand the issue... just thankfully don't have the problem to deal with.

But if you make your own checks like I do, you can get a tool that will punch out checks the size you need. There are two makers : Pat Marlin and Charlie. Info is on the gas check forum. Call both, one answers the phone and you can order what die you need and be done with the problem. There, I politically averted saying which guy is slow, and problematic to deal with and unresponsive at times.

At 10 checks for a penny, sized right: what about a $100 investment in check making tool is hard to fathom ???

w30wcf
12-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Annealing the gas checks will definitely help as well.

w30wcf

malonjw
12-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks so much for all the work you did. What you done is very impressive.

milrifle
12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I've seen others post about annealing gas checks. Not sure I understand. Annealing makes the metal softer, but does it make them open up to a larger size? Or does it just make them easier to bend open as you force them on? Something else? Does it work on aluminum as well as copper? What exactly is the process?

Blammer
12-25-2012, 09:47 AM
I used to have problems, now I just use Gator checks. :)