PDA

View Full Version : Penn Bullets

craig61a
12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
A few months back I picked up a few 1873 trapdoors. I fired Ultramax 45-70 in them just to see how well they would shoot, and found that they both shoot really well. Pulled one of boolits and found it to be .459". The Ultramax is pretty spendy, so I ordered a set of Lee Dies in 45-70, and started looking at mould designs. While surfing the web, I came across Penn Bullets, who listed a 405 grain 30:1 bullet that I thought I'd give a try. I placed the order on the website. After a couple of days I got a call from somebody at Penn asking how many I wanted, as the amount selected on the website was incorrect. Told them I want 100. They said they were in stock and would ship immediately. After about 4 days I received the package only to find that they sent the wrong product. So I emailed them asking about this and they told me to send the bullets back and they would add a few extra to cover postage to the correct shipment. I sent them back and they received them a few days later. After several emails to which I never received a response to, I emailed and told them I was cancelling the order. Again no response...

I did select and order a mould which I ordered after I purchased these bullets - I received that a couple of days ago, and it's dropping beautiful bullets. A testament to the fine work that Accurate Molds does.

Can't say the same for Penn Bullets - and it would appear that I'm out to the tune of $55.10. I haven't been burned very often in this hobby - live and learn I guess. Needless to say I won't be ordering anything from Penn bullets in this lifetime...

Wayne Smith
12-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Given the season I think I'd wait until after maybe mid January before I'd confirm that you are out of the money. I sincerely hope not. I've not done any business with Penn nor do I intend to. If I need boolits for which I don't have a mold I talk to Dan and company at The BullShop.

jmort
12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I like Penn Bullets, but who can argue with your experience. I expect they will make it right.

imashooter2
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I wasn't remarkably impressed with the craftsmanship in the Penn Bullets that I have sampled, but I never had a problem with the honesty and integrity of the company. It is my hope that they are simply swamped with orders and you get your refund eventually.

youngda9
12-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Please work out your issues with the company and don't trash them on the internet until you have exhausted all efforts. Email, Phone call works the best, and even write a letter if necessary.

shooter93
12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
They could easily be swamped....they set up at gun shows here all the time and there is a buying frenzy going on. That's still no excuse for their not contacting you though. I didn't care for their bullets myself. Two other suppliers you may want to try...Mount Baldy and Badman Bullets. Mount Baldy is moving shop and may not be shipping again yet but they do very good work.

codeNshoot
12-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Before I decided to cast my own, I bought from him. Had an issue with a load and Mr. Palermo got on the horn with me and helped me work it out.
I haven't bought anything from them lately, but I sure wouldn't think twice about placing another order.

Don't ever overlook what can be lost in written communication, especially email. Try and get someone on the phone after the holidays, and I'm sure they'd be happy to make it right.

canthit
12-21-2012, 11:12 PM
I have bought from Penn Bullets for over 3 years and never had a problem. They have even resized bullets for me to try and gave me the bullets to try at no cost. I live close to them and pick up my order in person, always trated me great. That said a buddy ordered from them and had problems, cost him almost $40 for 100 - 45 pistol bullets. Sorry to here your problem but think if you call and talk to the owner he would take care of it.

canthit

jaysouth
12-22-2012, 01:16 AM
The owner of Penn, Bob Palermo, is a straight up guy. Give him a note or call so he can work it out. Good bullets too. He will also size any bullet to your specs withing reason.

175lt2
12-22-2012, 01:52 AM
I live near penn bullets and have purchased thousands from them when i was too lazy to cast my own it's been about 8 years since i purchased any from them. The only problem I've had was with their lube, it's really hard so it stays on in the box but it stays on after fired too and does nothing as lube(bad leading in a 9mm).
I have heard many complaints from my silhouette shooting friends in the last couple years. one guy said they told him they are doing a lot of large commercial orders and don't want to be bothered by small orders and they were hesitant to sell him a 1000 40 cals

craig61a
12-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Please work out your issues with the company and don't trash them on the internet until you have exhausted all efforts. Email, Phone call works the best, and even write a letter if necessary.

I don't see how relating my experience of poor customer service is trashing them...