PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Press-Mounted Case Trimmer

Danderdude
12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I just bought a Lee Classic Cast-Iron turret press and included was the Lee 2013 Catalog.

It was the standard fare, except for this little baby. For the older gentlefolk, I'll transcribe it for you. Picture quality isn't the best.

NEW - AVAILABLE EARLY 2013

LEE DELUXE QUICK TRIM CASE TRIMMER --- $20
The Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer quickly and precisely trims your brass to the correct length at the same time it chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth. No calipers, measurement or adjustment required. Simply install the appropriate quick trim die on your press and start trimming. A click adjustable stop allows trim length adjustment in .001 of an inch increments. Allows the used to shorten case to a uniform shorter length than standard, reducing trimming frequency. Includes snap on chip catcher. Prod# 90437 $20

LEE VALUE TRIM - Prod#90386 --- $13
Same quick trimming and click adjustability as the deluxe version, but doesn't include the inside/outside chamfer blades and we skipped the fancy chrome plating.

Deluxe Cutter Assembly - Prod# 90355 --- $10
Update your Value Trim adding automatic case chamfering or use to replace a dulled cutter.

Quick Trim Die Bodies for Rifle Cases --- $11
Quick Trim Die Bodies for Handgun Cases --- $15

r1kk1
12-21-2012, 02:48 PM
I wonder when their custom services will offer bodies that are not currently available. I really hope this tool will work out for Lee. Time will tell.

Take care

r1kk1

trying2learn
12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I got the same catalogue in the mail yesterday and thought it was a rather neat idea but man will it add up in piece price quick. Who knows how it will do. Hopefully rather well but I will wait for some reviews.

Highway41
12-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Hope someone here will give it a review. The chamfer feature sounds really interesting.

Tried to look it up on Lee's Site and it's not listed yet.

r1kk1
12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/2013LeeCatalog_web.pdf

r1kk1

xd4584
12-21-2012, 09:16 PM
That sucks... Just the other day when I was brainstorming... Well day dreaming would prolly be more appropriate... I was thinking how I could make something like this. Of course mine would be motorized.
I am hoping to get started loading 300 blackout this year. Even though I don't have an ar yet...

I wanted to set up my pro 1000 with a turret with a sizing die and a die similar to this just motorized. I could cut the brass off size and then trim chamfer and deburr. Would be awesome

MT Chambers
12-21-2012, 09:45 PM
I like the Lee Zip-trim, I use it as a retractible leash that I use to walk my dog.

altheating
12-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Just finished depriming, swaging, full length sizing and trimming 2/3's of a five gallon pail of 223's this afternoon. Finally got the Dillon 1050 set up to do it. A five pound coffee can every twenty minutes. I'm thinking I might be a bit tired trying to do it with the new Lee tool. It looks like it might be one of Lee's better tools!

Pavogrande
12-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Us "older folk" already know about it as the Pacific trimmer :-)
Actually, the Lee is a bit more elaborate --

rasto
12-22-2012, 03:55 AM
It seems to me like good semi-product for us DIY guys. We will see but motor together with vacuum cleaner will promote it to Dillon rapid trim for sure :-)

r1kk1
12-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Us "older folk" already know about it as the Pacific trimmer :-)
Actually, the Lee is a bit more elaborate --

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-discontinued/metalic-reloading/tools/Pacific-Cutter-Type-Trimmer.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=pacific+trimmer&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Ua7VUOmeM6mf2QXYo4GoDQ&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=q67VUOfPOq322AWvjYC4Bg#biv=i|21;d|OTMTsJNMbU3V gM:

Do a google image search and you can see complete pacific trimmer images.

Wow! Nothing new just recycled old school stuff.

r1kk1

milprileb
12-22-2012, 09:28 AM
If you look at the 50s era, there are a lot of great tools that have vanished off the reloading market
and this type Mill approach for trimming cases is one of them. Cost was a factor then and became a
huge factor that drove the great idea into the dust bin of history. That said, Lee has dusted it off and
hopefully improved the design.

Ben
12-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I just checked MidWay.
They don't have it right now ? ?

Ben

Pavogrande
12-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I still have a pacific 22 varmiter trimmer body, the cutter/crank seems to have been lost at some decade in the past.

UNIQUEDOT
12-22-2012, 08:12 PM
It took long enough! John Lee told me this wouldn't make the 2011 catalog, but would be in the 2012. I just figured they ran into problems with it and decided not to produce it. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

boltons75
12-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Fs reloading says it's due in the spring of 2013.

gray wolf
12-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I think it's kinda neat Err Um COOL

runfiverun
12-23-2012, 01:16 AM
if you want the motorized version that's been out forever go to the dillon websight and look at it.
it sizes and trims all at once.
it's fast too.
well as fast as sizing a case can be.
trims them accuratly too.
and it's fast.
it's great for making 8 mauser from 30-06 or 223's from 204 rugers. just lube the case and yooounk and you have a sized and trimmed case.

41 mag fan
12-23-2012, 10:34 AM
That sucks... Just the other day when I was brainstorming... Well day dreaming would prolly be more appropriate... I was thinking how I could make something like this. Of course mine would be motorized.
I am hoping to get started loading 300 blackout this year. Even though I don't have an ar yet...

I wanted to set up my pro 1000 with a turret with a sizing die and a die similar to this just motorized. I could cut the brass off size and then trim chamfer and deburr. Would be awesome

go buy the Harbor Freight 2" cut off saw, then buy the jig from vonzep on here. I did 2k of brass in less than 4 hrs, now i got the WFT in from Little Crow Gunworks, I got one for my 223 and can do nearly 500 pcs an hour in trimming, it'll be the same for the 300 blk out after I run it thru the sizer on my LNL.
would be nice though to have a setup like Dillons where it's on the press

Mike Kerr
12-25-2012, 02:29 AM
I look forward to seeing it when its actualy available.

regards,

:-D:-D

dromia
12-25-2012, 03:50 AM
I'd wait a while after its released before considering buying, give the You Tube videos on how to get it to work as advertised a chance to be uploaded.

As always Lee have great ideas but often drop short in their execution, look at their new hand primer.

Interesting how Richard Lee's son is overturning all the old Lee thinking. Cast iron presses, ergo prime, new trimmer no recent record holding claims for their dies either, revamped mould designs.

I hope it works well but I'll wait and see first.

milprileb
12-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Comments on Dillon: pushing aside its high cost and solid quality, it is noisy and its not set up for all calibers.
556 or 762 Nato, you are good to go. 7.5 French or 7.5 Swiss, or 303 British: you are out of luck. If there is
a motorized unit like the Dillon that sets up on a press , allows caliber changes / adjustable to cut all calibers,
I am unaware of it. Be nice if there was one.

dragonrider
12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
I'll get one of these and then motorize it with a rechargable screwdriver, shouldn't be difficult and relatively inexpensive for a trimmer.

r1kk1
12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Comments on Dillon: pushing aside its high cost and solid quality, it is noisy and its not set up for all calibers.
556 or 762 Nato, you are good to go. 7.5 French or 7.5 Swiss, or 303 British: you are out of luck. If there is
a motorized unit like the Dillon that sets up on a press , allows caliber changes / adjustable to cut all calibers,
I am unaware of it. Be nice if there was one.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/dies/trimming/dt

jeffdt
03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Okay, I have it in hand along witk a Lee ,223 quick trim die. Midway had the deluxe trimmer, FS had the .223 trim die. $14.99 for the trimmer, $8.99 for the die. I haven't tried it yet, maybe tomorrow. I too am gonna try to figure out how to motorize it, was thinking about welding some round stock to it and chucking it up in my bench top drill press over a Lee challenger I have laying around and use the challenger as a dedicated trimming press for multiple claibers. Many of the other trim dies are still not in stock tho.

A pause for the COZ
03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Yup I have one for 308 in my wish list. As soon as they have them I will have one.

http://www.titanreloading.com/quick-trim

wlc
03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I didn't see 300BLK listed as an option for the trim dies. I'd like to have that and 223 as those are the two rifles I load the most for. Good concept, I'm gonna wait for a few reviews before jumping in though.

eggsmith
03-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Looking at 2013 & 2012 catalog's an it looks like lee's standard case length gauge and shell holder will work with the new trimmer
(same part #s), that alone saves $6 each. I load 10 cases so I would save $60, make's the new trimmer worth looking at...

tom357mag
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
I like the Lee Zip-trim, I use it as a retractible leash that I use to walk my dog.

Play nice :killingpc

FLHTC
03-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Lee should take it one step further and incorporate a cast bullet hollow pointer into that trimmer.

trixter
03-27-2013, 05:46 PM
now i got the WFT in from Little Crow Gunworks, I got one for my 223 and can do nearly 500 pcs an hour in trimming,

I realize your post was in December of 2012, but I am just wondering how the WFT is holding up, and how accurate it is.

Thanks

Rick

joec
03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I have the trimmer and waiting for the die for 45-70 cases. As near as I can tell is the pressure holds the case in place while it cuts. They also give you a plastic piece that fits over the shell holder to catch any thing that drops. It also has a couple of places to set the length you want within SAMMI specs. Oh and I got the deluxe cutter for $16 from FS Reloading just not the die yet.

wlc
03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Lee should take it one step further and incorporate a cast bullet hollow pointer into that trimmer.

I bet some of the talented machinists we have here could do that. Buckshot or Pat Marlin maybe??? Interesting idea for sure.

opos
03-27-2013, 11:12 PM
loading almost all straight wall handgun cartridges this wouldn't "excite me" much but I have that pesky 30 carbine Blackhawk and the cases tend to stretch a bit...it's one that needs watching and I have been using the little hand held gizmo from Lee and it's a pain...this trim device for the press looks like a nice thing to just take a bit of the hassle out of the 30 carbine. Hope it shows up soon.

FergusonTO35
04-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm wondering when Lee is going to come out with a press mounted lube and size machine. They came out with the Quick Trim so why not.

jeffdt
04-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I have the trimmer and waiting for the die for 45-70 cases. As near as I can tell is the pressure holds the case in place while it cuts. They also give you a plastic piece that fits over the shell holder to catch any thing that drops. It also has a couple of places to set the length you want within SAMMI specs. Oh and I got the deluxe cutter for $16 from FS Reloading just not the die yet.

There is an O ring in the die that keeps the case from spinning as the trimmer rotates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjZWn8KMLU

r1kk1
04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
There is an O ring in the die that keeps the case from spinning as the trimmer rotates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjZWn8KMLU

Hopefully, it will work well, but I have a feeling there may be reports of one or more calibers reporting it just spins in the shellholder. I can see the universal lock jaws adapted the the shellholder ram slot to combat this. Just speculation on my part but time will tell.

Take care

r1kk1

Bzcraig
04-08-2013, 01:02 AM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yzNTuQuebvs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyzNTuQuebvs

Here is a YouTube of this as well as a slick bullet puller from Lee. One thing I really like about Lee Equipment is even if it doesn't work well, it was cheap enough that I don't sweat it.