PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this little lever on the top of this Winchester Bolt?

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 01:42 PM
What the heck is this little lever on the top of this Winchester Bolt? I know ones the safety. ;)
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/1%20TERRITORIAL/BOLT.jpg
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade 30.06 Fella up the way has it and wants $400.00 for it.
It would get rebored to 35 Whelan.

BeeMan
12-21-2012, 02:11 PM
The spring loaded button opposite the bolt handle? Depress it to unscrew the striker assembly from the bolt body. The safety should be in the middle position before you remove the bolt from the receiver.

MBTcustom
12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
What the heck is this little lever on the top of this Winchester Bolt? I know ones the safety. ;)
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/1%20TERRITORIAL/BOLT.jpg
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade 30.06 Fella up the way has it and wants $400.00 for it.
It would get rebored to 35 Whelan.
Have JES throw a three groove in there, Awesome.

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Have JES throw a three groove in there, Awesome.

Thanks GS.
Several fellas here said they had problems measuring for cast bullets with a three groove. What does factory Winchesters have? I'm thinking four groove.

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
The spring loaded button opposite the bolt handle? Depress it to unscrew the striker assembly from the bolt body. The safety should be in the middle position before you remove the bolt from the receiver.
Thanks BM. This platform is new to me. Prior to this it was Saco's and Remington's.

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2012, 04:33 PM
If you mean the lever in your hand, that is called the bolt operating handle. If you mean the small button like protubance on the side of the bolt cocking piece shroud, this is a spring loaded plunger that holds the 2 pieces of the bolt together - some people even refer to it as the takedown lock. The plunger is depressed and the body is unscrewed from the shroud end of the bolt after the bolt safety is in the middle position when the bolt was cocked. My advice, for what it`s worth about the $400 price tag being asked is - GRAB IT!!Robert

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
If you mean the lever in your hand, that is called the bolt operating handle. If you mean the small button like protubance on the side of the bolt cocking piece shroud, this is a spring loaded plunger that holds the 2 pieces of the bolt together - some people even refer to it as the takedown lock. The plunger is depressed and the body is unscrewed from the shroud end of the bolt after the bolt safety is in the middle position when the bolt was cocked. My advice, for what it`s worth about the $400 price tag being asked is - GRAB IT!!Robert

Thanks Robert. Our newer Winchesters don't have that bolt take down button.

gnoahhh
12-21-2012, 06:11 PM
$400 for a Super Grade M70? No matter its condition, run, don't walk, back for it!! What's wrong with leaving it an '06? Is the bore trashed?

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
$400 for a Super Grade M70? No matter its condition, run, don't walk, back for it!! What's wrong with leaving it an '06? Is the bore trashed?

No I just want a 35 Whelen. I don't need one I just want one.

MBTcustom
12-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Three groove may be harder to measure, but I think its the best for cast boolits, especially for ones that are going to be pushed hard like the Welen is want to do. It has a lot further to go before it strips the rifling. Its kind of like the exact opposite of the micro-groove barrel. With the micro-groove, wall pressure must be kept high, and the boolit has zero room for error if the boolit strips.
Observe this closeup of a recovered 35 caliber boolit that was being driven 2400fps out of a typical 6 groove 1-14 barrel:
This is the most informative picture I have ever taken.

Pepe Ray
12-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Goodsteel;
Allow me a guess;
You have a soft alloy and are seeing slippage between the boolet and the gas check.
O.K.
Your turn.
Pepe Ray

Plinkster
12-22-2012, 02:50 AM
The other bonus I've not heard mentioned about a rebore from JES is that he is able to do custom twist rates. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the operation when I had a Ruger No. 1 rebored to .35 Whimp. He built his rifling machine himself and it uses a sine bar set-up to set the twist rate, so my rifle sports a 1:13 as I like em fat for caliber. Jesse is a great guy and I would lay money he'd tell you what size boolits to run in the rifle if you had him bore it, free of charge.

MBTcustom
12-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Goodsteel;
Allow me a guess;
You have a soft alloy and are seeing slippage between the boolet and the gas check.
O.K.
Your turn.
Pepe Ray
Of course.
If the boolit strips the rifling, then it will strip inside the GC too. However, the purpose of the GC is not to provide twist to the boolit, it is to stop up the bore behind the boolit. If you push the boolit hard enough, it will strip and 35welen has the power to do that in spades. This boolit was cast from WCWW and flew out the barrel at 2400 FPS with no leading. The GC did it's job, but the boolit almost stripped.
It is my theory that wider grooves make it harder for the lead to lose the rifling. Had this been a 3 groove, that remaining bit of rifled surface would have been much bigger, ie. I could have pushed even faster. As it is, if I give er another 50fps, the accuracy goes out the window.

Just Duke
12-22-2012, 08:14 AM
3 groove it is and thanks Tim.

sthwestvictoria
12-22-2012, 11:36 PM
No I just want a 35 Whelen. I don't need one I just want one.

I am in the same camp. Being in Australia I don't know if I can access re-boring. I was interested in this barrel (there is a ebay mob that will forward midway items, I would need a Aust Police Permit) - for the price it must be a run-out or job end:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546547/adams-and-bennett-barrel-mauser-series-3-35-whelen-f34-contour-1-in-14-twist-24-chrome-moly-in-the-white

Now just to find a mauser. Is there anything to decide between finding a .270 or .30-06 for the donor rifle?

Just Duke
12-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I met the fella to pick up the rifle today and he wouldn't put his drivers license number down on the receipt for the rifle. He said he wouldn't do it and he was going to walk.
So I didn't get the rifle

Just Duke
12-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Goodsteel;
Allow me a guess;
O.K.
Your turn.
Pepe Ray

Chance maybe the gas check spun on the bullet

Blammer
12-23-2012, 10:30 AM
bummer on that Duke.

stocker
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Grade at a bargain price? Might be hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.

Uncle R.
12-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Grade at a bargain price? Might be hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.

It does sound a wee bit suspicious - or maybe he's just very careful about giving out information pertaining to his identity. Either way you may have done yourself a favor by letting that deal go away.

TNsailorman
12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I met the fella to pick up the rifle today and he wouldn't put his drivers license number down on the receipt for the rifle. He said he wouldn't do it and he was going to walk.
So I didn't get the rifle

A sound decision. I would have been really down about that turn of events but I don't believe in leaving the old laundry hanging out to dry when someone doesn't want to provide proper identification that covers my cajones if questions come up. No rifle deal is worth 10 years in the slammer. my way, anyway--james

lmcollins
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
It looks to be one of the old post 1964 pushfeed action, rather than the famous Model 70 claw extractor controled round feed actions. Check the Blue Book price.

Still, any Model 70 in good condition is a good deal. Remember, Remingtons, Sakoes, Savages, and the tang safety Ruger 77's are all push feeds. They all shoot good groupes.