PDA

View Full Version : o3a3 sights

luober
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
while shooting the lyman 31141 out of my o3a3 at a 10 inch steel plate at 100 yards, to put the shots in the middle of the plate i only have four clicks of elevation left on the rear peep sight. im loading 27gr. of imr 4895 and i think the velocity should be about 1700 fps. i want to shoot at a 15 inch steel plate at 200 yards but i think that i am going to run out of elevation clicks to accomplish this. my question is: is there a lyman globe type front sight that will fit (without major gunsmithing help) to the o3a3 barrel and give me a little help with the elevation that i need? is the lyman peep sight that is available from brownells hard to install or does it require gunsmith work?

Patrick L
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
National Match Armory sells a globe sight that fits without any major gunsmithing.

I assume you refer to the Lyman 57 receiver sight? Its a rear sight? That will require drilling and tapping, and O3A3 receivers are hard too. I did it myself, but it wasn't easy. But then again I think Bubba is a distant relative of mine. I like to tinker.

Or do you mean the Lyman 17 Globe front sights? They are not really for that rifle. Again, I jerry rigged one on mine, but its not a simple job.

Scrounger
03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
while shooting the lyman 31141 out of my o3a3 at a 10 inch steel plate at 100 yards, to put the shots in the middle of the plate i only have four clicks of elevation left on the rear peep sight. im loading 27gr. of imr 4895 and i think the velocity should be about 1700 fps. i want to shoot at a 15 inch steel plate at 200 yards but i think that i am going to run out of elevation clicks to accomplish this. my question is: is there a lyman globe type front sight that will fit (without major gunsmithing help) to the o3a3 barrel and give me a little help with the elevation that i need? is the lyman peep sight that is available from brownells hard to install or does it require gunsmith work?

There used to be for sure but I don't know if they still make it. I doubt it but yoy may find one on Ebay in time. It was just like their standard Model 17A except it was mounted on a barrel band that replaced the one holding on the issue sight.

Char-Gar
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Your problem is a common one with those who shoot cast bullets in the 03A3 and the fix is very easy.

The 03A3 front sight is a simple pinned in blade and they are common and not very expensive to buy. They can also be made from common materials.

Take a file to your front sight and take material off the top. By lowering the front sight you will gain elevation in the rear sight.

Bob S
03-02-2007, 01:42 AM
"is there a lyman globe type front sight that will fit (without major gunsmithing help) to the 03A3 barrel and give me a little help with the elevation that i need?"

The short answer is "no". The Lyman 17A XNB is a replacement for the 03A3 front sight assembly (base and blade), but it is mega-high, which will exacerbate your problem, not solve it. The Lyman 17A XNA replaces the moveable base of the M1903 front sight ... it has a male dovetail (7/16") that fits into the female dovetail of the '03 fixed base. The '03 fixed base can be adapted to the 03A3 simple by filing a notch in the proper place in the front sight base key. The resulting assembly is lower than the 17A XNB, but still too high for what you need.

You will need to do as Chargar suggested; or, use a rear sight with a bunch more elevation or both. Here is one of my set-ups. Note the very short front sight blade, and the No. 2 x 56 truss head screw used to lock the rear sight aperture, giving continuous elevation adjustment, instead of ~2MOA per "click" on the little end, and 4 MOA per "click" on the big end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/03A3_refined_sights.jpg

One option for a "no drill/tap" "match" rear sight, with sufficient elevation for cast at 300 yds:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/03A3%20rear%20sights/Mountedback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/03A3%20rear%20sights/Mounted2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Springfield%2003s/03A3%20rear%20sights/Mountedtopback.jpg

Have fun with your 03A3. They are great shooters if you feed them with care, and hold hard!

Resp'y,
Bob S.

brimic
03-03-2007, 06:51 AM
You can easily fabricate a new shorter front sight from an item at your local builder supply store called a 'joist hanger'. The front sight on the 03a3 is exactly 0.050" wide, and a joist hanger is the same thickness. Just take your calipers to the store ith you to. I've done this with mine to make a taller front sight for jacketed bullets.