PDA

View Full Version : Any Colt 1903 .32 acp tips?

blixen
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I made a low-ball offer on a mouse killer and the seller went for it (that'll teach me). So it's mine--pending a test firing.

-- What would be the best store-bought ammo to run through it for the function test?

I plan to reload CBs for it. Excuse the ignorant questions, but I've never reloaded for a semi-auto before--let alone with CBs.

--What boolitt would y'all suggest? (I'll slug that lil' barrel when I get it home.) I'd like to use the Lee TL314-90-SWC because I shoot a lot of 30-30 and I've read here that that's a great plinker. But i don't think that flat nose will feed well.

--Will I need to factory crimp the .32 acp for functioning?

-- I don't plan on using it for concealed carry, so I'd love some suggestions on fun, good functioning mouse loads. I keep Red Dot and Unique and Trail Boss (?!) on hand.

Any help appreciated. btw, I read the excellent sticky on "bunny busting" .32 acps.

smkummer
12-21-2012, 11:57 AM
You will find it a fun shooter because its size is big by modern standards for a 32 auto. The european ammo usually is hotter. Mine shoots any ammo period. Winchester silver tip 60 grain when through both sides of a 55 gal drum and made a bigger hole on exit. I load both the Lyman 77 and 84 grain bullet sized to .311. The only function issues I have ever had with mine is when I shoot mixed brass. Browning originally designed the 38 auto, 32 auto and 25 auto to have a small rim and with 32 auto different rim dimensions will cause it to hang up when feeding. I didn't need a factory crimp. Wolf gun springs makes a replacement recoil spring. If you recieved an original magazine with your gun then you scored.

1874Sharps
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Until recently I owned and loaded for just such a gun. I still have another little 32 auto and they are fun! I bought the Lyman 311252 75 grain RN mold (sized to 0.311") and have been very pleased with it. With a load of 2.3 grains of Bullseye both of my 32s have proven to be quite accurate. I have never used either a factory crimp or a taper crimp, but have simply adjusted my seating die to turn the case mouth flare back in straight with maybe just a touch more.

I think you will find your new 1903 Colt 32 ACP to be quite reliable and accurate as well with a variety of different loads. Mine shot JHPs, FMJs and CBs with equal reliability. The gun was well designed and made with Colt's usual high quality. They were made clear up into the 1940s and were even issued to generals in WWII as a side arm. Good luck with it, I know you will have alot of fun!

EMC45
12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Until recently I owned and loaded for just such a gun. I still have another little 32 auto and they are fun! I bought the Lyman 311252 75 grain RN mold (sized to 0.311") and have been very pleased with it. With a load of 2.3 grains of Bullseye both of my 32s have proven to be quite accurate. I have never used either a factory crimp or a taper crimp, but have simply adjusted my seating die to turn the case mouth flare back in straight with maybe just a touch more.

I think you will find your new 1903 Colt 32 ACP to be quite reliable and accurate as well with a variety of different loads. Mine shot JHPs, FMJs and CBs with equal reliability. The gun was well designed and made with Colt's usual high quality. They were made clear up into the 1940s and were even issued to generals in WWII as a side arm. Good luck with it, I know you will have alot of fun!

This is the advice I was going to give about load and cast bullet selection. Sound advice.

blixen
12-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks! Here are some fotos. From the serial # it's a 1923. Judging from the left side its almost pristine. But the right side is pitted. But the bore is shiny.

Freischütz
12-21-2012, 11:49 PM
When loading for old pistols I replace (if possible) the original recoil spring. Next I find the cartridge's ballistics in the pistol's time period. I try to match my loads to the original ballistics. I usually use the lightest load that will function reliably.

I don't believe in pushing old guns too hard.

Captain Wheelgun
01-11-2013, 04:13 AM
I've had good luck with the Hornady 90 gr SWC over 1.8 gr of 231. This works well in both my Colt 1903 and in my Kel-Tec P32.

218bee
01-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with not pushing gun hard. Would not try Cor-Bon or any "super" ammo.
For functioning and testing and to get brass I would go standard Win or Rem.

OuchHot!
01-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I've been using the lee 90gr rn in a 32acp Walther with good accuracy and reliability. I am using a bit under 2g of red dot....I seem to recall 1.8g but check to be safe. Those are cool colts, mine is in 380 and is surprisingly accurate.

rintinglen
01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I have had no issues with mine and any ammunition I've tried. I managed to get one of Ranch Dogs 32-75 TC molds before he closed up shop and have been getting good results with that boolit sized .311 and 2.2 grains of WW-231.