PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong or are all Sigs like this?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a Sig 220 (45Auto) I believe it is an older model because it has the internal extractor. The gun has been very reliable for me, but I have noticed something a little odd (at least to me). When I drop the magazine and eject a live round from the chamber 9 out of 10 times the round falls down the magazine well, all other automatics I have kick the round out the side. Also if I drop the magazine and fire the round in the chamber the gun somehow will flip the brass around and ram it rim first into the chamber. I only tried shooting the gun without the magazine twice and it jammed the case in backwards both times (yes I know to only ever feed the chamber from the magazine never by dropping a round directly in). This is the only Sig I have ever owned and I am just wondering if they all require a magazine to properly eject or if my particular Sig has an extractor or ejector problem.

Groo
12-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Groo here
You may have an extractor problem.
Loose, warn, or weak spring..

2ndAmendmentNut
12-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Groo here
You may have an extractor problem.
Loose, warn, or weak spring..

How do I test to find out?

Doc_Stihl
12-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Sounds like a bad ejector.
Have you looked for a pic of what the ejector looks like (Google images is great for this) and compare it to what yours looks like?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I'll get pictures of both the ejector and extractor on my gun up ASAP.

BCRider
12-21-2012, 06:46 PM
If the extractor is bad then it wouldn't pull the casings out reliably. To me it sounds more like a broken or even missing ejector. The hint being that with the magazine in place as the heel of the face of the slide moves back far enough with the empty casing that the round being pushed up into place to be stripped off into the chamber is kicking the empty out of the gun. But if this is the case I'll bet that if you could compare your ejector to some other that you'd find it to be damaged by some amount or that it's missing altogether.

sagamore-one
12-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Had similar troubles... new extractor fixed it.
Impossible to tell difference between old extractor and new extractor by any visual examination... I tried.
But it did fix the problem.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Pictures...

danski26
12-21-2012, 10:52 PM
The Sig factory manual says;

"Inconsistent ejection to include trapping brass in the ejection port......cause
1. Low quality ammunition
2. Shooter error
3. Extractor damage
4. Ejector damage
5. Dirty gun, insufficient recoil to cycle the action"

You might want to start with a good cleaning and lubing. Sigs are great pistols but all machines need maintenance. Your slide appears to be a design that I have not seen. I guess when I think about it all the 220's i work on are less than ten years old. Not sure how the extractor and ejector come out on yours. I even checked my manual and it does not mention any "older" design. That doesn't mean that it's bad....I just can't help you with that. Maybe a Sig rep could upgrade your slide to the current design.

Doc65
12-21-2012, 11:49 PM
My P226(OLD) has always done the same thing unless I cycle it HARD, the rate that the casing hits the ejector while the slide comes back under recoil is what causes the impact to eject the casing. if you are just pulling the slide with out forcefully racking it the ejector just bumps it free of the extractor, under those conditions the angle the gun is held at will also affect the outcome(where the case/cartrige goes)

2ndAmendmentNut
12-22-2012, 10:04 AM
My P226(OLD) has always done the same thing unless I cycle it HARD, the rate that the casing hits the ejector while the slide comes back under recoil is what causes the impact to eject the casing. if you are just pulling the slide with out forcefully racking it the ejector just bumps it free of the extractor, under those conditions the angle the gun is held at will also affect the outcome(where the case/cartrige goes)

Good point. When I eject the gun by hand with some oomph the round comes out fine, and I have never had a failur to eject while shooting the gun save for the two times previously mentioned. Perhaps I should clean the gun and just leave well enough alone until I see a real problem. I think I will order an extractor and an ejector and just have them on standby.

danski26
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a smart plan to me.

sagamore-one
12-22-2012, 12:39 PM
The ejector is actually part of the slide stop and is not known to be problematic.

To get the extractor out of the older "folded slide" variants you simply drive out the double roll pin assembly and the entire breechblock comes out. The extractor is a self locating, friction/pressure fit which is easily removable with a small screwdriver.

gray wolf
12-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Week extractor tension, yes it will pull the round from the barrel, but the lack of proper tension will let it drop. a week extractor will sometimes crush the last round being ejected cause there is no other round in the mag to hold it up. So with no mag at all it just drops through the frame.
Take the slide off the pistol and place a dummy round (with a bullet not an empty case )
Slip it under the extractor hook and shake the slide up and down a little, the round should stay in place, if not the extractor needs a little tweak. Remove the extractor and place it back half way into the extractor tunnel, have the extractor hook in ht e same position as would be normal replacement. With the extractor half way in the tunnel, pistol held in left hand muzzle forward
bend the extractor ever so slightly to your body ( warning--a little goes a long way ) to much and it will bind the case against the breach face. As for the ejector it's broke or it's not.
My bet=extractor tension.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you all for the support and input. I gave my P220 a good cleaning, including tapping out the role pin and removing the breach block. I also removed the extractor and cleaned quite a bit of crud off of it and the groove it goes into. There seems to be a lot more extractor tension now.

Thanks again.

On another note where is a good place to buy an extractor and ejector?

gray wolf
12-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Tell the tale please, did any of the problems go away ?
Dirty extractor is what I forgot to mention. I think extractors give more problems than ejectors.
EXTRACTOR--broken hook--chipped--loss of tension

2ndAmendmentNut
12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Ejecting rounds by hand seems better. I'll have to wait until I get to the range to test further.

sagamore-one
12-24-2012, 10:48 PM
If you need parts ... Top Gun Supply is a very , very good source. Good supply, decent pricing, and excellent customer service.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2012, 06:49 AM
probably nothing wrong at all. Id guess its just that your being a little to gentle when wracking this slide. It will happen with most semi auto handguns unless you really work that slide.

Artful
12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Something to think about/research, as I remember from my gunsmith friend your supposed to use new roll pins when you disassemble the slide from the breech block.

Beau Cassidy
12-27-2012, 12:39 PM
My guess is dirt behind the extractor. It is certainly the cheapest and fastest place to start. Old oil and crud loves to build up in those places. If it is enough it will decrease the extractor strength.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Just an update...

I went ahead and replaced the extractor and roll pins. The new extractor had more of a bend in it then the old one, so perhaps the old one could be modified. Anyways I was able to make it out to the range and the gun preformed flawlessly and ejected by hand properly both with and without a magazine.

Artful
01-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Excellent! I do love those 225, 226, and 220's

9.3X62AL
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
What Artful said. I haven't had a chance to speak about this with my SIG-Sauer armorer buddy, but I'm pretty sure that the recoil spring--extractor--ejector--and bolt retainer roll pins all get R&R'ed at the 5K round count refit. From the photos you posted, I couldn't see any difference in appearance between your pistol's componentry and my own, which is on the road with me. I'm glad to read that performance has improved since installing the parts.