PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Alternative Weapons Season Whitetail

Viper225
12-21-2012, 12:58 AM
The new Missouri Alternative Weapon's Season opened the 15th. This was previously Muzzle Loader Season. New for 2012 Handguns were allowed in this season.
I decided that Tuesday evening would be a good time to hit the ladder stand, as rain was predicted for the next two days turning to snow. I figured I would get in atleast one day before the weather went South.
I got my gear together, checked the 480 Ruger Super RedHawk, and headed to my stand.
My hunting location is a small 2 acre bowel in a valley. On the North is a fairly steep wooded hill side. To the South, East, and West are three Points meeting in my bowel. An old house place is up the point to the East a hundred yards or so. My 2 acre bowel was either a small bottom field, or a garden spot around 1880 to some point before 1950. It has a couple rock piles where it has been cleaned off. The dry creek bed has water in it for about 150 yards going by my stand location. Two springs feed it on the East side of my bowel. My 17 foot Double Wide Ladder Stand is positioned about 20 yards up the South Point. I leave the stand up year round with Burlap camo around it. I check it out before season and replace any straps or burlap needing attention.
Back to the story.
I am all set up by 3:30. Impact Sport electronic hearing protection turned up most of the way so I can hear on my head. My 480 Ruger loaded with 355 grain Wide Flat Point Gas Check bullets is setting on a towel on my 12 inch wide section of plywood I have C Clamped to the hand rail. My 30mm UltraDot sight is set on 2. I am ready to hunt.
By 4:45 I have not even seen a Squirel. I debate heading to the house. Better judgement tells me to stay put till it is dark in the valley.
At around 4:50 or so I hear a deer on the hillside infront of me. I am looking the hillside over hard, and finally spot him in a clearing about 100 yards out. I see horns. He is moving at a diaginal from Right to Left. About this time a single engine light plane comes over trashing my ability to hear him moving around. The plane finally gets far enough away that I can hear again. The buck is still infront of me to the Left. Finally I spot him heading my way to the Left of my stand. I had previously turned the UltraDot down to 1. I put the dot on him at around 55 yards in a dark location. I am not happy with my sight picture. It is dark enough in the deep wooded valley that I am getting Bloom at a setting of 1. I keep watching. At 40 yards he stops broadside in a more open location. I settle the Super RedHawk on a couple airweight sand bags, and get solid. I put the Dot on the back side of his shoulder and squeeze the trigger. WOW What a Fire Ball. The buck bolts straight ahead running up the trail on the South Point. I get up and turn around, and see the buck come to a stop about 40 yards up the hill. I start to put the Red Dot on him for another shot when I see him stumble to the West out of my sight. I hear all kinds of noise and crashing, then everything is quiet. About this time a doe shows up where the buck was standing when I made the shot. She is on Red Allert. I stay put and wait for her to leave, which took forever.
I pack up and head to the house for some help, and flash lights. When I get to about where I thought the buck was last, I turned the Polaris Ranger in the direction the buck had went with the headlights on for some illumination. I was apparently too far up the hill. It took about 10 minutes to find the blood trail. We then found him straight down hill piled up in the valley floor.
Nothing spectacular, a long lankey 8 point 2 year old.
The 355 grain bullet hit him high on the back of the Left shoulded, and exited low behind the shoulder on the Right side. I was shooting down hill on him from my elevated position on the point, plus 17 feet up in the ladder stand. A perfect shot would have been 2 Inches lower. He never noticed.
He is soaking in the rubbermade "deer soaking" stock tank at the moment. I will get him processed and in the freezer in a day or two.

Now I need to start casting bullets for next year. I have a brand new Custom Mountain Mold to break in. It casts a 375 grain Gas Check bullet with a single grease groove, and has a 70% meplate.

I hope you enjoyed the hunting story.

Bob

obssd1958
12-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Nice story, Bob. Congratulations!

I have a brother northwest of you, in Climax Springs. And my Dad lives in Camdenton. The story makes me wish even more that I was able to be there!!

Don

missionary5155
12-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Good morning
Good story to read this windy night here in ILL.
I had no idea MO was just getting to handguns for corn crunchers. You got to start out in good style.
Mike in ILL

rbertalotto
12-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Nice story! I hunt the Stover area and next year I'm hunting Alternate Season.

What is with the stock tank water thing?

Hickory
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
It's always good to hear the detailed adventures of a persons successful hunt.

x101airborne
12-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Real nice visualization. Good eating buck. If it were legal, I probably would have dropped the doe with him. The knives would be already dirty!

Hamish
12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
You don't post much, but you make 'em good! Thanks Viper.

35remington
12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Given that modern muzzleloaders really have more in common with a 30-30 than a traditional muzzleloader, it's rather refreshing to see Missouri call their late season "alternative weapons season" rather than "muzzleloader season." We've rather perverted the term as we now apply it.

Yeah, they load from the muzzle.....but that's about it. Before everyone jumps on me, I own and shoot one too. It's just that it is about convenience, not tradition. Why not allow modern pistols? Why not allow iron sighted or scope sighted 30-30s? Range is similar to the modern muzzleloaders. If they are equivalent in range and capability, which they are, they should be allowed in any late season too.

We've succeeded in blurring the line between types of hunting arms so much that we might as well take it to its logical conclusion like Missouri does. Contender single shot pistols, traditional leverguns, pistol caliber lever action carbines.....heck, allow 'em all during the late season and stop kidding ourselves about this phony "muzzleloader" business.

The vast majority never wanted to shoot a muzzleloader anyway. They just want another chance to shoot a deer in a longer season. Might as well sweep away the limitations that are limitations in name only anymore.

If this happens, and the suggestions I made are implemented in more than a few states, watch how quickly everyone drops the "modern" muzzleloaders like a hot potato for something that shoots a cartridge. We've created "niche" weapons in our modern muzzleloaders, and back to the unused corner of the gun safe they will go if practical and realistic suggestions for late deer seasons are followed.

This is probably as it should be. Modern muzzleloaders are really an answer in search of a question. Accurate, yes, fun, yes, useful and practical for hunting deer, yes. But less practical and less useful than a 30-30. Since they have equivalent range, and the 30-30 has less chance of a wounded animal getting away due to the capability for a quick second shot, why should not modern muzzleloaders be phased out in favor of something more effective yet ranges no further?

A reasonable question indeed.

white eagle
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I couldn't agree more on your analogy of a trad m/l and seasons so named

Viper225
12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Roy
I never hang my deer to cool out/age.
I have a Rubbermaid brand livestock watering tank that is only used to soak my deer in. The Rubbermaid tank does not have seams like a metal tank, so it is easy to cleanup.
We cut the Front Shoulders and the Hams off, cut out the Tinderloins, then put all the meat to be processed in the stock tank full of cold water to cool and soak. Cutting the deer into manageable pieces it is handier to work with when we start cutting it up.
The deer went in the water Tuesday evening.
We removed the 1/2" ice cap off the top and cut him up Friday Afternoon.
We separate our meat into 4 pans when processing it. Tinderloin, Thin Steaks, Frying Cubes/Stew Meat, and Hamburger.

We do not mix the burger with any other meat or fat. Just plain deer burger. The wife uses it in Spaghetti Sauce, Sloppy Joe, Taco's, Meat Loaf, etc. About any thing we would use hamburger in except Hamburgers.

The bite size cubes are great breaded and fryed.

About the Doe I let go. I did and still do have an Antlerless Only Deer Tag. I could have taken her with no problem. I let doe's go almost every day during regular firearms season. We lost lots of deer this Fall to Blue Tongue. I decided not to harvest any does due to the number of deer lost to disease this year. Leting her go will put another deer or two in the woods next season.

By the way I do have a Real Muzzle Loader. I have a Custom 54 Hawken Rifle. Mine is an exact copy of a Cap Lock rifle that was in the Original Hawken Shop Collection in St Louis. It has never had anything in it but FF Black Powder and .535 Round Balls patched with .015 Patches. I load from a Horn and carry everything else in a Leather Possibles Bag. The wife and I have been going to Mountain Man Rendezvous for over 20 years. We have owned an 18 foot, 20 foot, and Two 22 foot Tipi's. We have gotten older, and out of the Tipi business and now have a 12 X 18 Canvas Wall Tent to camp in. Much easier to set up, and tear down. Home away from home.

I was just in the mood to handgun hunt this late season.

Bob

smoked turkey
12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Bob great story. I read it and reread it because it was so interesting. I continued to use a muzzleloader here in SW MO even though I thought some about using a handgun. I must confess I was a little ill prepared for the opportunity I got at the largest buck I have seen here at 150 yards. I was no match for him with my muzzleloader. I learned a very hard and valuable lesson this year with this deal. That is to try your rifle at the longest possible range you might see a deer you want to take. I didn't do that and missed the opportunity that may never come again. I did shoot at that range but I am sorry I did. I only had about 20 seconds or so to get ready and make the shot. I never touched the deer even though the shot looked good at the trigger pull. That is why they call it hunting I guess. I am glad you were much better prepared than I was and it paid off for you.

Just Duke
12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/PICS.gif

ammohead
12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Ouch Duke! A little insensitive don't you think. Not every hunter carries a camera, but his story is far from worthless. Why don't you post a picture of all the animals you shot this year?

Just Duke
12-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Why don't you post a picture of all the animals you shot this year?

Oh ha ha
It's just a smilie used on most forums so nothing personal. Cellphones have cameras I here.
The story was really good. Pics would be cool.

waksupi
12-31-2012, 02:40 AM
What's a cell phone?

ammohead
12-31-2012, 03:54 AM
That's the one you use for your one phone call.

Actually Ric it's a telephone without wires. Some can even take pictures. It's magic, like the airplane and the TV.

rhbrink
12-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Is that what they call a "SMART PHONE"?

RB

Wolfer
12-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Is that what they call a "SMART PHONE"?

RB

They're all smarter than me.

mkf350
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing.

pls1911
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a couple of challenges...
1. I've never heard of anyone soaking meat in lieu of hanging for at least 48-72 hours.
To cut before rigor mortis passes alllows tissue contraction and increases toughness.
To soak meat which is not sealed form the water removes most delicate flavors.... maybe there is a technique here I'm unfamiliar with......please advise.
2. I too get busy and don't take enough pictures.