PDA

View Full Version : UPS price on shipping rifle, OUCH!

DLCTEX
12-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I took a rifle to Pampa for my son to ship to a buyer in New Jersey and was told it would be $124. I will take it to the local Post Office tomorrow and suffer through the unknown to see if we can beat that price. I will take the PO regs we printed out to help ease the deal. UPS would only accept the rifle at the terminal 50 miles away, and only between 3:30 and 5:30 PM. When I got there I knew much more about shipping it than they did. It took a half hour to get the price. Next day air is expensive!

waksupi
12-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I ship a couple guns a month by USPS. Around $18 priority, or $12 parcel post. Insurance extra, but doesn't cost much.

cutter_spc
12-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I use FedEx to ship rifles, rarely goes over $20 for me and that includes tracking and insurence. I thought only FFLs could ship firearms USPS?

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-21-2012, 12:11 AM
If you have an FFL to send to, USPS will ship Priority Mail for about $35, insured for $1000. I shipped a rifle last week to Texas from Idaho. In a hard case.
The form is a 1508 iirc.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I shipped a rifle 2 weeks ago to Ilion NY to be fixed. From Mt, it was 24.30 with insurance- regular shipping

Blacksmith
12-21-2012, 04:47 AM
The CMP has a corporate deal with FedEx and they ship M1 Garands overnight for $24.95 in a case in a cardboard box includes tracking and adult signature required.

Tazman1602
12-21-2012, 05:01 AM
What Waksupi said. Only handguns shipped by individuals have to go overnight UPS or Fedex. Rifles will ship ground no problem and dealers can mail handguns via USPS priority and the right form to another dealer.

Art

I ship a couple guns a month by USPS. Around $18 priority, or $12 parcel post. Insurance extra, but doesn't cost much.

shotman4
12-21-2012, 05:03 AM
usps is not allowed to ship a hand gun . "If they know what it is" . That is not their rule that is ATF's rule
Best I can find there dont seem to said penalty , but is was in a 2011 news letter I got from ATF.
long guns are ok as long as contents are NOT on the box

Tazman1602
12-21-2012, 06:48 AM
You are misinformed. As an FFL I do it all the time. Form required is 1408 I believe. USPS ABSOLUTELY WILL SHIP HANDGUNS FFL TO FFL.

Art

waksupi
12-21-2012, 12:57 PM
And being the owner of the handgun, you can legally ship it to a FFL for work to be done on it, and it can be mailed back to you.

Bulldogger
12-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Glad for these clarifications. Thanks gentlemen.

I will add to the complaint about driving to a "hub" facility. That is correct, UPS and FedEx only accept firearms at a hub. I am lucky that there are two hubs near me, but it is bittersweet because there a no outdoor ranges near me and the indor ranges are tiny. (Be glad you have to drive to get to a hub my friend.)

The rules for FedEx and UPS are the same for ammo, must be marked ORM-D and left at a hub. That said, the local FedEx Kinko's never cared if I brought ammo in, they never bother to read ORM-D or don't care, and I've done my part in marking it, I feel. If they accept it, that's their decision.

If I could find a dealer who would ship handguns cheaply, I'd have sold severl on Gunbroker or here already. But given that O-bummer is making ground on bannign somethign or other, sales are going through the roof. I may be glad. My $200 cheapo pistol might be worth $400 in a few months, simply becuase it's available and for sale...

Bulldogger

TRX
12-25-2012, 05:32 AM

I did this for the first time a few days ago. The clerk went to get his supervisor, who made a call to check upstream, then he told me postage and insurance would be $16. I got the impression the local office doesn't ship many rifles, but they sorted things out quickly and I was in and out in ten minutes.