PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Slugs

badboyparamedic
12-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Has anyone tried casting slugs using Zinc? Would like to find a use for all the Zinc WW I have left after seperating the Lead WW. I use a 1oz Lee Mould.

plmitch
12-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I haven't tried making slugs with it but use mine for fishing weights.

shotman4
12-21-2012, 05:15 AM
That would make a hard slug. be careful not to shoot in a choked barrel

Rottweiler
12-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Why bother. A member here named Grady will swap you wheelweight lead for your zinc. Rumor has it he makes cannon balls out of it

badboyparamedic
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Guess will just use it for swapping or sinkers, just thinking that it getting harder to find lead WW and someday may have to find a substitute for lead.

shadygrady
12-21-2012, 12:19 PM
thats right save up 40 lbs or more put in a flat rate box an send to me i will send you lead

badboyparamedic
12-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Will PM you when I get a box together.

TonyfromItaly
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
I have cast zinc bullets. What happens is this: the weight of the bullet is reduced by about 30%. For example the lee 1 oz slug (28 grams) comes out 20 grams. I have made an adjustable mold that allows to make the bullet longer to achieve the desired weight.

littlejack
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Hey Tony:
Can you give us some of the particulars of casting zinc? How does it flow? Do you use a iron or aluminum mould. Is there any major shrinkage from the dropped slug? Could a person readyly us a Coleman stove burner and cast pot to melt the zinc ww's?
I have been thinking of casting round balls, to load in wads for shotgun loads.
Oh yea, how hard is it to cut the sprue when cooled?
Jack

TonyfromItaly
01-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Ciao Jack:

zinc melts at a higher temp then lead. A gas stove is not hot enough to melt it.(i use a coleman gas stove for lead as well)
I used a torch with propane and oxygen (like the one they use to cut steel H beams) That melts it fast, and it flows into the mold real well.
If you do that, you have to be very fast to beat the sprue plate, zinc cools fast and you will not be able to trim the excess zinc. The mold must be very hot, otherwise you get many wrinkles in the bullet. I cast it in an alluminum mold, but and iron mold would be better i think.

However, zinc bullets are very hard. I have tried shooting them into wood planks, and they do not deform, they go through them like a FMJ.

littlejack
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Tony, thank you very much for your expierienced information, and your reply.
Jack

dsbock
01-06-2013, 02:20 AM
thats right save up 40 lbs or more put in a flat rate box an send to me i will send you lead

I've got a big bucket of mixed wheel weights. I'll let you know when I have enough zinc for an exchange.

David