PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield in a one piece stock

nekshot
12-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I always wondered what a lee enfield would be like in a one piece stock and a recent post on a sporterized enfield stirred the interest again. I recently walked in a pawn shop and there was a lonely santa fe 303 looking for a home. So I bought it and tore it apart. I machined the receiver as far as I could and still keep the integrity for the trigger guard. Cut the barrel at military step and reinstalled front sight. I still have some lite wt cherry wood that is not wide enough for a proper comb fit but this is a bubba job so who cares! I fit a piece of metal into what was left of the receiver to help disperse the recoil and hopefully keep the stock from splitting. I kept the wrist of the stock heavy to help with recoil. These actions don't have much in the line of a recoil lug. I counter sunk and drilled a hole up thru the trigger guard into the stock for the rear attachment. I reblued every thing ,polished the bolt and just finished glass bedding the action. I am still not sure if I will cut the mag down to have a flush look.(some day larger capacity might be nice) I still need to mount the scope mounts and then the fun of developing loads for it. It is very lite and really shoulders quick. It is everything and slick like I thought a one piece stock on one of these would be and as it was cheap it floats my boat. Some day if my coordination improves and I can checker again this stock will get checkered.

303Guy
12-21-2012, 12:42 AM
That looks very nice. It's different.

I'm trying to make out the recoil system in the stock. Is the recoil carried by that plate in the butt socket?

nekshot
12-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes, that is my idea. I don,t hot rod anymore and the weight of the gun will discourage others from hot rodding so I believe the gun will be good to go with factory ammo if so desired. I am really looking forward to working with this gun simply to try messing with different pressure points on the barrel.(this bore looks pristine) The double rifle I built with 303 surplus barrels really can give super or lousy accuracy simply by rotating the spacer (which is off center to aid in regulation) at end of barrels.

TheGrimReaper
12-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Man, that is so nicel. A real work of art!!!