PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 and the Non CRF Extractor Questioner

Just Duke
12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had any failures with the 1970's and 1980's type extractors?

Griz44mag
12-21-2012, 12:43 AM
I have a couple of 700s from that era, and have never had any issues with either one of them.
I have owned both of them since they were new, the 30-06 has thousands of rounds through it.

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks Griz

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Nope and know two guys that go to aftrica every other year that both take 700s in 416 rem mag with them and swear by them. I have to take back my NOPE answer though. I did break one once but it was in a gun that i bought used that the chamber had been damaged and after shooting it the case stuck tight in the chamber and i had to beat the cases out. After 3 times the extractor did break. God only knows though how many times the guy that had it before had it happen before he traded it in to get rid of it.

nekshot
12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Duke in the 70,s I was a jerk with my 700 remingtons. I prided myself in the ability to have my 30-06 and 6.5-06 shoot as flat as the mags of that day. I shudder how I pushed them simply by judging the flatness of the primers. Bolt lift was always snug. I never had a failure or any one I knew of for failing to eject as expected. I guess the good Lord was looking out for our stupidity.

Larry Gibson
12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I have "fixed" several of them. "Fix" was simply cleaning the debri that work under the extractor. Rifles were shooting a large amount of russian ammo which is very dirty, or at least what they were shooting left a lot of residue in the actions.

Larry Gibson

fishnbob
12-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I created a 'HEADSPACE' once about 28 or 30 yrs ago with my 80's model 700 Varmintmaster in 22-250. I was using fired brass from a sporter model and forgot to full length resize the cases and locked her up! IIRC, I neck sized and pushed the shoulder back a hair, as well. After I beat out the case, I noticed that I had broken the extractor. I replaced it and learned a valuable lesson and haven't had any problems since. Now I keep fired brass separate by firearm and if I have to mix, I full length 'em.

Just Duke
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Well that was messed. I drove clear over there and he said he wouldn't put his license number on the receipt. I told him he had to and he said I'll just walk away. Very suspicious.
So no rifle.

HangFireW8
12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Shredded 2 in a 1980's 700 30'06, original owner said he always handloaded light for that gun. It had other problems like a tight spot in the barrel 5" from the muzzle so I traded it off.

Shredded one in a 788 in 308, rifle had other issues like occasional failure to dent primer and/or cock. Sold it off towards a Kimber 84M Montana.

All handloads were listed non-max in trimmed cases. In each case the case came out with the lightest bump of the cleaning rod.

Maybe my perception is unfair because both were used... like new but used, but anyway, I'm not a fan.

HF

W.R.Buchanan
12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Since I have never owner a 700 I consider myself to be an unbaised expert.

I have read that the CRF concept was originally concieved to make a bolt action rifle feed rounds reliably when the gun was essentially upside down. Like it would be if you were laying on your back or up against a trench wall. The CRF extractor prevents this from happening by the cartridge rim being shoved under the extractor as the round is fed from the magazine. Military Mausers will not chamber a round unless it is fed from the magazine. The extractor will not snap over the rim as it is too stiff. The round must go under that extractor.

A push feed gun will drop the round if it is held upside down and the bolt operated slowly.

Obviously this situation doesn't come up often any more.

M700's are used by the military mainly for Precision Rifle tasks, and from what I have read it is due to the ease of accurizing the actions, which are relatively simple in comparison to other established bolt action designs.

They obviously work well as they have been in service since Vietnam.

Anomalies like broken extractors are not that common or there would be many aftermarket replacements.

My .02

Randy

HangFireW8
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Anomalies like broken extractors are not that common or there would be many aftermarket replacements.

Not many, but there are some:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/sako-style-extractor-kit-prod8753.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/remington-700-sako-extractor-kit-prod1557.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/sako-style-extractor-kit-prod12721.aspx

HF