PDA

View Full Version : RCBS lubesizer problem

tomme boy
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I have a lubesizer I bought new in the last year or so. I am having a problem with the piston. It is spinning in the reservoir. I have to spin the handle around 2-3 times to lube just one boolit. The o-ring is on the piston. But I think it is not grabbing the sides. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

Spawn-Inc
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
fatter o-ring? when you remove the cap, has any lube pushed past the piston?

Maven
12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I have that problem with a LAM II with RCBS-supplied new O-ring as well. (The new O-ring is a loose fit on the piston.) My fix was to use some 40 yr. old metal (lead?) impregnated spooled cord (~1/16" dia.), which used to be used to form a washer* in older faucets. I cut a length of it, fitted the O-ring and forced it into the reservoir. So far it's worked, but I think there's a better way. The easiest fix would be to get the correct O-ring, but I think RCBS uses an odd size. The other way is to cut a narrow strip of duct tape to fit the piston groove and wrap the degreased piston [groove] with enough of it to ensure a snug fit on the reservoir body when the O-ring is replaced. Perhaps someone has a better solution?

*It's called "packing." Mine was made by a firm in Phila., PA

leadhead
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Try calling RCBS and get the right o rings. They should not charge you.
Denny

dg31872
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I had the same problem, only not quite that bad. Called RCBS Customer Service, told them what it was doing, and they shipped two new o-rings out to me no charge. Took care of the problem. Did I mention no charge? They are good people to work with. That's why my first choice is RCBS. Just my two cents...

tomme boy
12-20-2012, 08:47 PM
There is a very little amount that slips by the piston. Whats strange is, it does this really bad with TAC1, but not as bad using NRA 50/50. They both feel about the same for stiffness. I will give RCBS a call to see what they say.

rodsvet
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I have an old Lachmiller (1970), RCBS should have left the design alone. In 42+ years I have never had a problem with any part of it. Some times new is not better. I did inquire once about buying a piston to have as a spare because many guys complain about the newer model. The do not stock parts for the first design. Rod

Mike W1
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Just picked up a new O ring this AM. It's 13/16" ID, 1-1/16" OD and the body is 1/8"