PDA

View Full Version : scale questions weighing on my mind!

ranger1962
12-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I was looking on e-xxx at a smartreloader sr750 does anyone have any experience with this digital scale
or can you suggest where to get a good digital scale ? Thanks Bill

jcwit
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Being as almost all electronic scales are made in china there's not much to say against smartreloader other than the company is owned by an Italian org, with products copied from U.S. manufactures and made in china. So why would I support them? Simple, I don't!

r1kk1
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I have the old Dillon 1500 scale. When it finally dies I will look for another scale with the same capacity. The new Dillon Terminator does not have the capacity as the old unit.

Take care

r1kk1

41 mag fan
12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I've got a Frankfort Arsenal electronic sclae...I believe thats what it is, but it works, and I cross check my weight i use to make sure it weighed the same on my Lyman DPS3. It did, so I now know what the scale reads with pan on and with weight on.

1hole
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
"..can you suggest where to get a good digital scale ? Thanks Bill"

How do you define 'good'? If you mean accurate, most any of them are plenty accurate for reloading purposes. The question then becomes, "How long will a 'good digital scale' last?" and that's not an honestly answerable thing. Chinese or not, electronices are flakey. What any of us gets is simpy the luck of the draw if it's a high or low cost scale, TV, cell phone, camera, computer, etc. Those who are lucky enough to get a good one of anything will properly praise it, those who aren't so lucky will cuss it. Those who get a digital scale to fail in the warrantee period can send it in but it will be tossed and a new one sent to replace it, they are just to cheap for the sellers to spend the money for a repair shop to fix 'em. If a failure occurs passed the warrantee period - usually one or two years - the maker may say tuff luck OR offer to replace it cheap, actually at the sellers purchase price plus a few bucks for shipping.

I spent most of my working life in precision electronic intrument repair and calibration in the defence and space industry; there is no electronic powder scale on my bench and there never will be.

r1kk1
12-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Electronics are great for brass and bullet sorting. I have a 10-10 for powder duties also.

Take care

r1kk1

jrkoop
01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I just got a Horizon Pro-50A electronic scale for $45.99 shipped. It's accurate down to .02 grains and I'm actually quite impressed with how good it works. Of course, always back up everything you do with a good beam scale, but for convenience and good accuracy this scale is hard to beat. I'm actually surprised not more folks in the reloading community know about this little scale. For the money I've not found any other digital scale that comes even close; and I've scoured many reloading forums and read hundreds of posts and articles to research which scale to get. As far as I'm concerned this is a supreme deal for the money. Got it today, calibrated it, tared it. Everything appears to work flawlessly.

doulos
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
heres a digital guaranteed for life
but it aint cheap
http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

r1kk1
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
heres a digital guaranteed for life
but it aint cheap
http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html

That may be the one I'm looking for when my original Dillon burns up. It has a capacity beyond 2-1/4 oz loads too.

Thanks for posting this.

r1kk1