PDA

View Full Version : How do you use....

Blammer
04-26-2007, 11:14 AM
OK, I have a Lyman 450 Lube/resizer.

I have this funny looking piece that I suspect is for putting on gas checks.

My big question is.

How do you put on a gas check with the Lyman 450?

Pics help, cause I'm not too keen on all the parts of the sizer yet. As I'm somewhat new to bullet lubing/sizing deal.

I have some 7mm bullets I'm gonna want to size, lube and check, but not in that order I guess....

I do have the sizer that is the correct size that I want for my gun, and I do have the lube I'm gonna try, and the checks too.

Putting em together may be tricky....

454PB
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't have a gas check seater for my 450's. If I need more force than my fingers to seat them, I lay the flat wrench that is intended for die changing across the top of the nut that holds the die in place. I then put the GC on the boolit base and use the sizer nose punch to push it on. I then size the boolit normally, which crimps the check onto the boolit.

mooman76
04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I haven't done it on the Lyman yet but you put the gc on the bullet and size and lube at the same time and that will crimp the check on. You will have to adjust the lube /sizer for depth so you lube what you want to lube and not lube past the lube grooves as to not waist lube and make more mess. It's not that hard and you will have to play with it abit but once you start you will see.

Blammer
04-26-2007, 12:13 PM
ahhhh, thanks!

so I will have to post a pic of this piece of equipment so you guys can tell me what it's for.... :D

scrapcan
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Balmmer,

If your indicated tools looks like a u-shaped collar that will fit around a rod, that is exactly what it does.

You put the little gas check seater around the ejector rod below the sizer die and the press down on the handle. This action seats the check and prevents the bullet form enter die, sort of makes it bottom out. You then remove the gas check seater and run the bullet and check combo into the die.

All the little tool does is make sure the gas check is fully seated. It does the same thing as 454PB mentioned above.

is that picture clear as mud?

Blammer
04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Here it is. wonder how you use it, but it appears to be unnecessary.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Stuff%202/DSCN5567.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Stuff%202/DSCN5566.jpg

sturf
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
install the gas check seater on the machine below where the h die is. put gas check on boolit and size. when you bottom out; this seats the check on squarely. Yoy have to then lube in a separate opperation.

sturf
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
one more thing; put the small end to the top.

scrapcan
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
looks like several of us were posting at the same time

Blammer
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
h die?

scrapcan
04-26-2007, 03:56 PM
the H die is the sizer die.

Shepherd2
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Blammer - You're right. The gas check seater is unnecessary. I've been using a Lyman 450 for almost 40 years and never saw a GC seater until last week. I have seated 1000s of GC without one. Last week I got a new 4500 lubrisizer and it came with a GC seater. Looks to me like it a device to slow down the process of attaching GCs. I put it back in the tube and threw it in a drawer.

Blammer
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM
thanks! that helps a lot!

Dale53
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually, it can be rather useful (the gas check seater). Some gas check moulds, with certain alloys, are a bit too large in the gas check area (mould makers are in a quandary as to just what is the correct size as different alloys will measure differently - so, they go with a "one size fits all" which does not always work perfectly. If the gas check is really tight, you can size a bullet with the check on a bit crooked. If you have a tight mould, get a bunch of bullets unsized and run them all at once using the tool to firmly and properly seating the gas checks. If your particular situation does not need it, then don't use the seater. Simple as can be. After all of the checks are seated, then you can lube them.

Dale53

waksupi
04-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I remember asking about these, clear back in the old Shooters.com days. Someone knew what they were, but I don't recall anyone actually ever admitting to using one!

RugerFan
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
You don't really "need" to use the gas check seater unless you want to shoot your bullets "as cast" (no sizing desired) and are pan or tumble lubing.

Dale53
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
RugerFan;
sometimes, when you seat the gas check on tight shanks by just sizing, there is really nothing to push the gas check firmly against the base of the bullet BEFORE sizing (the bullet punch just moves away from the gas check until you hit bottom - if the gas check is not properly alighned (because of being tight) until you hit bottom it is already too late to do the job properly).

The advantage of the cas check seater, is the base punch is firmly in place and you firmly seat the gas check against the bullet base BEFORE you size. If the gas check shank allows the gas check to seat easily by hand then you do NOT need the seater.

Dale53

wills
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
May work like the new one
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/Instruction%20Guide%2014.pdf

floodgate
04-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Blammer"

" H die?"

This goes back to the original introduction of the Ideal No. 1 lube-sizer (the direct ancestor of your 450, via the No. 45), in Ideal Handbook No. 13 (1901). The engraved illustration of the new tool had all the parts called out by identification letters, and the die set consisted of the top punch "g", the die body "h" and the ejection plunger "i".

Aren't you glad you asked?

floodgate

grumpy one
04-27-2007, 03:16 AM
To amplify Dale53's point, if the gas check moves down through the sizing die before it seats on the bullet, it will be swaged down before seating begins and the only way it can then be seated is by mashing the bullet - which guarantees it will end up loose after spring-back. The other problem with letting the check move down ahead of the bullet without seating is that lube can get between the bullet base and the gas check, causing a hydraulic lock that makes proper seating impossible.

Blammer
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
wow!

I'm glad i asked!

things to look out for!

thanks a bunch!