PDA

View Full Version : primer delima.

trixter
12-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Now that there are two primer sizes for 45acp, and I have a few small ones, does anyone make a tool for enlarging to large primer pockets. I don't mean a swage tool, maybe some kind of drill bit or something?

cbrick
12-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I doubt it would be worth the effort or cost of the tool. Brand new Starline 45 ACP large pimer are $0.17 (17 cents) each. A box of 500 for $85.00.

Rick

fredj338
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Not economical or even safe as he head thickness is probably diff. No, just sort, use the bastard SP cases for lost brass situations or trade them off or keep them in storage for SHTF. SP 45acp, one of the more stupid ideas yet.

darkroommike
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Not economical or even safe as he head thickness is probably diff. No, just sort, use the bastard SP cases for lost brass situations or trade them off or keep them in storage for SHTF. SP 45acp, one of the more stupid ideas yet.

Plus one on that, sort 'em and either save 'em or trade 'em. The small primer was a solution to ignition problems created by lead free primers. Just put the "bad" brass to one side.

prs
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
PRIMER DILEMMA

Back in the day when I was to begin my schooling, students had to provide their own text books which were sold in local stores. Due to short supplies that year, the stores would only sell one copy per student and an enrollment proof voucher was required. However, my teacher and Principal would not enroll students unless they DR had their primer.

On a serious note, I gotta wonder why there is a SAMMI organization if foul-ups like this are allowed.

prs

Houndog
12-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Actually the small primer in some brands of 45 brass may not be such a bad idea! If we are in an extended primer shortage you can substitute small rifle primers in these cases. They have the exact same demensions! You can not use large rifle primers in standard 45ACP cases without a lot of work because the LR primers are taller. I try to keep some Federal or Wolf small rifle primers just for this. They are the mildest SR primers I know of and have softer cups than most other brands while still working well in my 223 rifles. I hope I can avoid such a thing, but having that option makes sense to me.

44man
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I did a lot of primer work with the ACP and found the SP cases were more accurate, much more accurate in a revolver.
Head thickness is the same from sectioning brass.
I would never use a SR primer in the little cases.
Personally, if I owned my own ACP I would buy all SP brass. There is just no need for a LP primer.

2wheelDuke
12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I used to plan on making some small primer .45 someday, since my press is easy to change and guys don't bother to pick them up. Then I got a .400 Cor-Bon barrel. Now I just size any small primer .45 into .400 brass.

nemesisenforcer
12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
+1 on just sorting and tossing/trading the small pockets ones. Not worth the trouble. They're still in the distinct minority. Of the thousands of 45 cases I've scrounged, I've come across less than 100 set up for small primers.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Actually the small primer in some brands of 45 brass may not be such a bad idea! If we are in an extended primer shortage you can substitute small rifle primers in these cases. They have the exact same demensions! You can not use large rifle primers in standard 45ACP cases without a lot of work because the LR primers are taller. I try to keep some Federal or Wolf small rifle primers just for this. They are the mildest SR primers I know of and have softer cups than most other brands while still working well in my 223 rifles. I hope I can avoid such a thing, but having that option makes sense to me.

Lately, at least for me, it seems that small pistol primers are scarce while large are abundant.

JIMinPHX
12-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Trading is probably easier than modifying.

runfiverun
12-20-2012, 08:57 PM
i wouldn't even try to modify them.
i save them, i was kinda surprised when i traded some boolits for some brass and found out of 400 pieces of brass 100 of them were s/p.
the boxes all looked exactly the same and no mention of green or whatever on them.
i think federal just uses whatever primer size brass they got to make their ammo.
when/if i ever get a bunch i'll make up a load for one of the 45's.

spfd1903
12-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Most of my supply has been from a friend in LE. He has been kind enough to sweep their indoor range for the last couple years. They use WINCHESTER non toxic which are spp. So I have about 80% spp from him. The other 20% are lpp from outdoor ranges. Requires strict double checking prior to reloading to insure the case will match the primer set up in the Dillon.