PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Scrap Yard Find!

jimkim
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I went by the scrapyard the other day, and the fella told me he had some condom bullets. Seems a fella brought in 13 pounds of them and sold them for the scrap lead price of $0.10/lb. He asked me if I wanted them. I looked at them and measured a few. Most of them appeared to be .277-78" with a few 0.308" bullets thrown in. I bought them for a little less than $6.00. I guess I'm gonna go back and look through the scrap iron and see if they have an RCBS RC or some other older press. OMG! I never enjoyed shopping for anything unless it was at a salvage yard. I guess I'm a redneck after all. lol WHOOT!

Figuring an avg weight of 150gr that works out to roughly 607 bullets! The 30 cal bullets seemed to all be either Hornady 110gr V-Max's or Sierra 165gr SBT's. I did see a bunch of Barnes .270 X-bullets too.

EMC45
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Good job Jim. Was this Eastman?

jimkim
12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Yep. Less than a mile from the house. When I walk, I go right past the place. They also had some Weider free weights there. I thought about getting them, but I figure after both back and hernia surgery, by doctor would shoot me. lol I'm guessing I wont be sleeping any tonight. I haven't been this excited around Christmas since I got my first real gun in 1979.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Good Score, I love the scrap yard, all the guys that work there know that I shoot/cast/reload and they save me all kinds of stuff without me even asking, some days I show up just to poke around and someone will pull something amazing out of the shop.

Cherokee
12-23-2012, 12:02 AM
When my local yard got started years ago they would save stuff for me or call me. Now they have grown and treat me like ****. I will not go back there again, I'll drive 20 miles to another yard.

o6Patient
01-09-2013, 05:14 PM
A deal is a deal no matter where you find it. -Hope you bought a lottery ticket that day also.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2013, 07:12 AM
About the same thing here. they used to call when they got something interstesting in and gave me a good deal on it. Now that the scrap prices have went up and his business has grown 4 fold he drives a new vette and acts like he doesnt even know me when i call. Says he doesnt have time to look out back but when you go in there hes sitting at his desk with his legs up reading the paper and dressed in clothes that nobodys chasing around looking for scrap would wear. I have to be pretty desperate to deal with him anymore.
When my local yard got started years ago they would save stuff for me or call me. Now they have grown and treat me like ****. I will not go back there again, I'll drive 20 miles to another yard.

jimkim
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
There were 133 Nosler .277" 130gr Balistic tips and assorted solid copper bullets. Some are Barnes XLC's and I think the others are Berger and possibly Cutting Edge, but I'm not completely sure. The only reason I recognized the XLC's is because they are sky blue. I'm keeping the 30 caliber and .243 stuff and selling the rest.

EMC45
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Let me know about the .277 stuff Jim. Could meet up with you. Thanks, Evan