PDA

View Full Version : ingut mould

bakrzdzn
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I found a nice cast iron muffin pan I plan to use as an ingut mold. It has 11 cups so I should be able to get the cows I got ready in a hurry, instead of the one @ a time I have now. It looks like it was painted so I will need to fix that before I get tofar ahead of myself. Paid 10.00 but I don't see them every day.

cbrick
12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Picture?

Rick

bakrzdzn
12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I got pics with my phone, now just need to get then here.

Sasquatch-1
12-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Here again the dollar store muffin pans work great for ingots when smelting. 12 ingots per pan and for $10.00 you could have bought 3 or 4 pans. I have some cast iron corn cob molds that I use when I drain my pot some times, but I find the condiment cups work better for this.

Before you use the cast iron for lead you may want to post some info so one of the cast iron collectors can tell you whether or not it is worth saving.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
the muffin tins from our dollar store are made in 2 peices.
I tired one, poured it full of lead, flipped it over and all 12 of the cups came off the "pan"
and stuck to the lead

Make sure they are one piece units

Sasquatch-1
12-25-2012, 08:11 AM
I tired one, poured it full of lead, flipped it over and all 12 of the cups came off the "pan"
and stuck to the lead

If you look at places like "Big Lots and Ollies" or similar stores you may be able to find some stamped out pans. They are between 3 and 5 dollars two or three should be more then enough. The standard size muffin yields between 1 and 2 pounds per ingot.

The stainless steel condiment cups which can be found at Sam's and Walmart are extremely reasoable also. One member here mounted them on a piece of steel strap, or something like that, to make handling easier.

Dave C.
12-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I use soda cans. Just remove the top by trimming off the crimped ring.
They hold a bit over 8 pounds. They fit in a twenty pound Lyman pot.
The can will peal off the cool ingot easily. The only draw back is that
they are single use and if you run out of soda you may have to drink beer.

Dave C.

afish4570
12-25-2012, 04:07 PM
and stuck to the lead

I have several at $1.00 ea. sitting out behind the shed in the rain and snow so they are getting a rusted surface. I burned the dickens out of them with my brush burned 1st to speed the aging process. The rust will make a no stick surface. Will let you know when I try them. afish4570

snuffy
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
It's spelled ingOt.:kidding:

I have 2 muffin pans, one is steel, the other aluminum. The AL is Teflon coated, I was told I should be dead from filling it with molten lead. No problemo, unless a ghost is writing this!:wink: The steel one is not rusted, the lead muffins drop free with little urging. Some of the steel one are tin coated. Perfect for the lead to solder to, you have to either destroy the pan to get the lead muffin out, or heat it until the lead melts. Salty water, then allow them to rust will help. If anybody has fallen for the guff about the Midway mold release spray, it works superb for muffin tins.

I got a bunch of Lyman ingOt molds, way back 'bout 10 years ago. I had one of the old SAECO four hole molds, with no handles. I also got 2 of the lee AL. molds, but I don't like the ½ pound ingOts.

DLCTEX
12-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I make ingot moulds from angle iron. 1 1/2" X 8" works great for a 10 lb. pot. WW and angle the ends about 10*. I use angle for the ends also and use the lip for a handle. Dip from a Dutch Oven Pot with a soup ladle.

Sasquatch-1
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
It's spelled ingOt.:kidding:

Now how do you know he isn't using his "GUT" to cast these. It may very well be an IN GUT ingot.[smilie=1:

I was wondering how long it would take someone to comment on that.

DRNurse1
01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Dave C: great idea and the size and weight is about perfect. The aluminum is recyclable, too, at about 19 cans to a pound.

The drawback for some is the deposits required in some states (NJ and NY near us). Good reason to invite those folks over here for a picnic 'cause they will want to clean up for us.

There are some other cans that do not have deposits on them for those states, just be careful of the coatings some mfg's use on their cans. The 7 and 8 ounce cans are about 5 pounds of alloy for those with smaller furnaces.