PDA

View Full Version : Getting the lead out!

greenrivers
12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a T/C Hawkins in .54 that has shot nothing but Maxi's. (yet) Seems the tight spot mid barrel is lead fowling. Any suggestions other than a brush with a chore boy strand?

docone31
12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Not really, just make it a tight fit.
Then, I had one of those, I used Valve lapping compound for lube on five of my R.E.A.L.s I fired them.
Problem solved.

bubba.50
12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
you might check & see if the tight spot is right where the barrel underlug is. the pressure from the fit of the lug may be causing the tight spot. for what it's worth. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

fouronesix
12-19-2012, 12:15 PM
MLs shooting bare conicals can lead. I sure would try to get it out of there. There's a possibility that under that lead it has started to corrode. First you need to get the lead out then drop a bore light in to see if that zone is showing frosty appearance. Then try to lap it. If it is a rough spot then forever that zone will tend to collect lead and fouling and will be prone to corrosion even after thorough cleaning. Of course patched RBs won't lead, but that area will still be prone to corrosion if it has roughened.

Like docone31 said you can fire lap it out. It works. The only thing about fire lapping is that it laps the entire length of the bore- not just the area of concern. Or you can take a good cleaning rod with a free rotating handle and use an undersized wire brush wrapped tightly with steel wool for a tight bore fit. Use a good amount of Kroil or other penetrating solvent. As you push the tight "mop" in you should be able to feel the zone of the leading. Mark the rod with a felt tip. Then use lots of elbow grease to work back and forth within that zone.

If after getting the lead out and if no roughness is there it could be a tight spot in the bore. Then go back and try some fire lapping with conicals and a lapping compound or patched RBs with the patches smeared with compound. Either way, good luck.

DIRT Farmer
12-20-2012, 12:19 AM
I use patched round balls to clean the lead out of my smooth bore trade gun. After shooting a few hundred loads of shot, 5 to ten PRBs will clean the ring out where the shot load sets.

Wooly
12-21-2012, 12:02 AM
There used to be a product out called The Lewis Lead Remover. Back when I had a T/C,they were a must for keeping the shallow rifling clear. See if you can locate them. I think it was a machine shop called Lewis Machine Co. When you want to help the accuracy of that gun, get a Green Mountain drop in bbl, or find a Montana Barrel Co., or even a Douglas for it. Wooly.

Underclocked
12-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Didn't I read long ago that a Cream of Wheat buffer would clean lead out of a barrel?? Have never tried it myself but can't see any harm in trying. You could always eat the rest of the package. :)

greenrivers
12-22-2012, 12:06 AM
I too was wondering about a load of Cream of Wheat under a prb and light charge of powder.

doulos
12-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I have a T/C Hawkins in .54 that has shot nothing but Maxi's. (yet) Seems the tight spot mid barrel is lead fowling. Any suggestions other than a brush with a chore boy strand?

there probably isnt a better lead remover than a brush wapped with chore boy