PDA

View Full Version : shooting the little 4 5/8s super convertable project gun

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
took it out today and with the 4440 cyl shot 5 6 shot groups that averaged just over an inch. It was loaded with hp38 and a 215 lyman swcgc. Then switched to the 44 mag cyl and shot a load of wc820 and a 421429. I only had 12 of them with me and shot them into one group that would have been under an inch if it wasnt for one flyer (probably me) that opened the group up to 1 1/4 if you can call it a flyer. Little gun is sure a shooter. I dont think ive shot a group yet with it over 1 3/4

dubber123
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey Lloyd, that must still be with the stock Ruger trigger right? If you tell me your shooting 1 inchers with an as delivered trigger, I'll fall out of my chair! Did you do anything with the sights?

DanWalker
06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
NICE!!!
I like the balance of the 4 5/8th's rugers. I've only shot a couple of them, but recoil was pretty sharp with the top end loads.
I've toyed with the idea of getting a vaquero with a birds head grip and a 3 1/2" bbl in 45LC to use as a CCW.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
nope its got a 2 lb trigger and ive bead blasted it fitted it with an aluminum grip frame and ejector rod house. Belt mountain pin bowen rear clements front sight and had the neigbor scallop the recoile sheild and loading gate and the 4440 cyl has been opened to 4305. Probably the most stock ruger i have though.
Hey Lloyd, that must still be with the stock Ruger trigger right? If you tell me your shooting 1 inchers with an as delivered trigger, I'll fall out of my chair! Did you do anything with the sights?

singleshotbuff
06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt, 2 pound trigger too. One of my favorite guns. Think I may have some slimming done on the frame and cylinder flutes to give it more of a SAA look, already did a wolffe spring kit and a belt mtn base pin. I also like the look of the "bullseye" ejector rod head, maybe this summer.

It shoots as well as any of my other peestols, only draw back is the short barrel gives an "impressive" muzzle flash with a healthy dose of W296 or H110. recoil is a bit brisk too with 360gr boolits at 1040f.p.s. LOL

SSB

dubber123
06-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Well Lloyd, I was pretty much just pullin' your leg. I figured you had done a little tinkering. Sights and trigger are about the two most important things to me. If it's shooting 1" groups, they must have screwed it together pretty straight at the factory. Glad you got a good one.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Tell you what ive boughten ALOT of ruger 44s and 45s threw the years and ive yet to find a 44 ruger that didnt shoot well. I cant say that about there 45s. They allways been pot luck for me.

Dale53
06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Lloyd,
I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5.5" in .45 Colt that shoots quite well. Previously had a straight Vaquero 4 5/8" that shot good also. However, I seem to be able to shoot the longer barrel with more consistent results. In other words, it is easier to shoot a good score. Ruger sure did their homework when they did the fixed sights. I get a good sight picture and the Bisley shoots at point of aim at 25 yards. The straight Vaquero needed its front sight lowered just a bit to shoot to point of aim at 25 yards.

Both revolvers worked well with both black powder and smokeless. I have heard of a number of Ruger .45 Colts that had undersize cylinder throats and of course, that is a prescription for poor performance. Maybe that has been corrected in the later issues?

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Dale ive had probably a dozen 45 rugers and havent found one right yet.

wonderwolf
07-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Lloyd,

Both revolvers worked well with both black powder and smokeless. I have heard of a number of Ruger .45 Colts that had undersize cylinder throats and of course, that is a prescription for poor performance. Maybe that has been corrected in the later issues?

Dale53

How undersized? What should they be? I havnt worked with my 45LC much as I'm getting brass in for it soon I hope. My barrel slugs out to .450 But I have not gotten around to the throats yet

Dale53
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
If the throats are undersized, then the revolver will never shoot to its potential. Ideally, the throats should be .001" larger than the bore diameter. However, a couple of thousands bigger will not hurt so long as the cast bullets are throat sized (Elmer Keith, many years ago suggested that the best size for cast bullets were just barely small enough to push through the throats with finger pressure - that still holds). My Ruger Bisley Vaquero seems to be just slightly larger than the bore diameter (less than .001") and shoots match quality groups with properly sized bullets.

Dale53.

targetshootr
07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
If I could only have one gun, this old model 45 (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM004408.jpg) would be it. It shoots better than I ever will.

44man
07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Good shooting Lloyd!
Wonderwolf, I question your bore size, never seen a Ruger that tight. Are you sure you didn't run the slug through a tight spot in the barrel where it screws into the frame? Luckily, Rugers can be fixed, the tight spot power lapped out and throats opened. Then they WILL shoot.
Here are 5 shots at 50 yd's with my Vaquero .45 and the Lyman boolit. It weighs 347 gr's with my alloy.

44man
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Picture came out funny but if you click on it, it clears up.

9.3X62AL
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I've had the notion to get a BisHawk x 7.5" in 44 Magnum and have a 44-40 cylinder made up. I discovered during my move that I have BEAUCOUP ammo in 44 Magnum laying around, and that I haven't fired the Redhawk I now have for over a year. Gotta fix that situation.

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree with 44 man if your barrel is slugging that tight theres a restiction somewhere and it should be your first priority if you want it to shoot. I would never say that 45s dont shoot ive got 5 of them and they all are tack drives but then again theyve all had work done to them. At least a trigger job and the cylinders throated. Dale i have to argue with you just a little bit. Oversized thoats. Even a few thousands oversized are as bad as undersized throats and even worse because they cant be fixed. Its an inexpensive fix to throat a gun. Lynn Creaker does it i think for like 30 bucks. Its gotten to the point with me and 45 rugers that i dont even measure them anymore. I just pack up the cylinder and send it to lynn. Funny thing is that ive seen rugers all out of spec that can shoot well if you luck into a load it likes but to get good consistant accuracy out of revolver it has to be right. The throat and barrel dimentions the alignment at lock up. You need a good throat and crown and a good trigger. Most guys will look at the bill for all of this which would run about 300 bucks and think HELL I CAN BUY ANOHTER GUN FOR THAT but me personaly Id rather have one thats right the 4 that are not.