PDA

View Full Version : Martini Cadet 310; should I, shouldn't I??

Norbrat
12-19-2012, 03:05 AM
I need another project like another hole in the head, but I've been offered a Martini Cadet by a club member, who has decided HE doesn't need another project!

He's asking $200, plus another $100 for dies, brass and boolits.

I haven't seen the rifle, but it has not been bastardised by re-chambering to 32/20 and he reckons it's got a 9/10 bore, with wood and metal needing some TLC.

I've got a couple of weeks to think about it as won't see him again for a while, and he's not advertising the rifle anywhere.

Decisions, decisions! :???:

It would be a no-brainer if I was retired!

JeffinNZ
12-19-2012, 03:14 AM
I was given one and really like it. I shoot it loaded with black powder at the weekend in a competition and cleaned up big time. Jim's moulds from CBE are the BEST. I have two. Shame his is retiring but if you nag him quickly......

Stephen Cohen
12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
At that price with dies you cant go wrong

Norbrat
12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Well, I must have decided I would take it as I have ordered a mould from Jim Allison at Cast bullet Engineering. :-P

358wcf
12-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Norbrat- good on you, Mate! Great decision to keep another Cadet rifle shooting- here in the states the price you mention is a steal! I've 4 of those beaties and would love to try a CBE mould- but we do have the RCBS heeled mould that works so well- keep the old girl shooting and you will be happy- the small game beasties around you will prove how effective a hunter she still is! Enjoy!
358wcf Chuck

swamp
12-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Good on you ! I have two and they are alot of fun. Good small game guns or just to carry on walkabout. I use a Walt made NEI mould in mine.

swamp

Norbrat
12-23-2012, 06:20 PM
It should be a bit of fun.

I will probably use it mostly to shoot pistol calibre Cowboy Silhouette as I don't get a lot of opportunities to go hunting.

I'll see if I can catch up with the owner after Christmas and actually get a look at the rifle. I suppose it's a bit of a pig in a poke as I've ordered and paid for the mould but have yet to see the rifle. Still, if you can't trust a fellow shooter and club member, who can you trust?

nhrifle
12-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Nice historical piece at a great price. Post some pics when you get your new toy.

Norbrat
01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
So after the usual rigmarole of having to apply to SA Police purchase the rifle, and the waiting time for them to approve it, I've finally got it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8412631016_0af3051d1a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11260137@N07/8412631016/)

The spare stock is because the one fitted has been over-sanded a bit where it fits to the action, so the previous owner found another one at a gun show.

He also found a barrel band, but the nose cap is missing. Some of the wood around the forend pin has been broken out when an attempt was made to remove it, but I have the pieces of wood to repair it. The forend pins look like they've been peaned over with previous removal efforts, so I will see if I can get replacements, or make some.

I see that Numrich has a bunch of parts, so I will go through it and make a list of what I need.

I've shot the rifle, and it shoots well, although extraction is a bit stiff. I know that these don't have very positive extraction, but I reckon it should be a bit easier than it is. The previous owner did say he hadn't sized the cases before reloading, so doing that may help.

The target is a 50m group he shot, so it certainly is accurate enough, if a little high; the aiming point was the middle of the lower target. The front sight is pretty basic, so making a slightly taller one shouldn't be an issue.

It came with 900 boolits, about 50 rounds of loaded ammo and the die set, so for $350, I reckon it was a bargain. :mrgreen:

I had already ordered this mould from Jim Allison, CBE.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8412631232_051df52c30_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11260137@N07/8412631232/)

The boolits which came with the rifle are almost the same as this mould will cast, but with 900 of them to use up, it will be a while before I need to gets this one hot!

Now to find time to tidy it up and play with it! 8-)

45 2.1
01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Your going to really like it. The only problem is assembling enough of the heeled boolit loads to shoot.... as you'll want to shoot more than you have. I've found that they extract easily and forcefully provided they are sized correctly. If you duplicate the original loading and velocity, they will track those original sights very well all the way out. These rifles were meant to train boys in long range shooting. Cases are available, but I made mine out of 32-20 cases by thinning the rim from the front to fit your specific headspace (not all are the same) and trimming the case so the boolit of choice just barely engraves the rifling throat when chambered.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-25-2013, 06:01 AM
martinis are like Tim Tams; you can't stop at just one!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/MartiniAll_A_zpsa40c2b1c.jpg

George Tucker
02-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I have one in 218 Bee that i built, fun little rifle, George.

Norbrat
02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Wallace, I couldn't possibly get that many; I'd have to get another safe or two! This one is already crowding the safe I bought recently to cope with the growing collection.

I took the Martini to the range yesterday and shot a pistol calibre cowboy silhouette match with it. Naturally I left the sight settings at home, so was pleased to get 23/40, about average for me.

I had to push a few fired cases out with a cleaning rod, rather than force extraction and possibly breaking something. This should stop being an issue when I full length size the cases.

Overall, it's a nice little rifle. Easy to see how it was excellent for training young cadets in marksmanship, but sobering to think these were issued to the home guard to try to defend against either German or Japanese invasion during WW2!

LtFrankDrebbin
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Mate, very nice rifle! And you got a bargin.
I had a Martini cadet years ago but with the non available ammo, moulds and componants at the time I chose to sportsterise and rebarrel to 32-20.

Lucky for you maybe? I just dug through my bits box and still have the forend barrel band nose cap you are missing.
I would be happy to post it to you if you want it.

Norbrat
02-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Lucky for you maybe? I just dug through my bits box and still have the forend barrel band nose cap you are missing.
I would be happy to post it to you if you want it.

Hi Frank

Thank you for your kind offer, but I don't need it; the nose cap is actually on the rifle. I need to look at things a lot more closely! :???:

Do you still have your 32/20? Did you change the barrel to get the correct bore size?

stubshaft
02-04-2013, 01:45 AM
I had one that was shot out and rechambered to 218 Mashburn Bee. It is a sweetheart to shoot.

LtFrankDrebbin
02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi Frank

Thank you for your kind offer, but I don't need it; the nose cap is actually on the rifle. I need to look at things a lot more closely! :???:

Do you still have your 32/20? Did you change the barrel to get the correct bore size?

No probs.

With great regret I had to part with that rifle, 1st marrage break up and the gun buy back at the same time.
Wound up homeless and the gun had to go. Handed it in for destruction.

It was a working project in progress. I had a Sprinter barrel 18" heavy straight profile (bull barrel).
Made for a good all rounder gun, more that enough power for all game types in our area when loaded with 100grain J words and a case full of AR2205.
Never did get it finnished, but had many a good day/night out with it.

Before getting it rebarreled I've got to laugh and cringe now at what I tryed in loading 310's. Young and dumb I spose.
Before the internet, and the staff at the local gun shop happy to sell with no idea them selves, I fired every 312
and 311 jacketed bullet type I could get my hands on. Probably even tryed 308's. Hornady XTP 85gn up to 125gn FMJ for the 7.63x39.
Talk about key holes!
I did have good luck with 314 HBWC's but the shop owner was happy to charge the same price as J bullets.
And I reckon I would have been a little hot with the W231 under them.
Would love to get another Cadet with what we know now, but you understand our laws.

Cool I do have an old photo of "the donkey stopper"

Norbrat
02-04-2013, 07:17 PM
What a shame you had to hand it in! Another one destroyed for no good reason.

As for laws; yeah, WA is quite draconian from what I've heard, although I can't imagine a single shot chambered in 310 Cadet could be considered "high power" by anyone with half a brain. Oh, that's right, pollies and their advisors who make these laws don't have half a brain between the lot of them! :roll:

country gent
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a Martini cadet rifle that was rebuilt completely. New walnut stock with high cheekpiece and pistol grip, and forearm, shilen barrel 12 twist sporter wieght 20" chambered to .218 bee, weaver 2-7 scope, trigger worked to 4 lbs pull wieght. When shouldered it feels like it grew there. Everytime I take it to the range I get offers to buy it and requests to be "remembered" if I decide to sell it. Many of the members sons have shot it when we were there and it always brings a smile ear to ear to thier faces. ( Always encourage the youngsters). This is such a sweet handling mild mannered rifle. The cadets are just a sweet little gun that retiring them isnt an option yet