PDA

View Full Version : Lyman boolit sizer die problem

762sultan
12-19-2012, 01:56 AM
I just bought a 311 sizer die for my 450 sizer. I began to gas check and size boolits and where the sizer contacted the boolit it had scratches on the bands instead of being smooth and shiney. Any idea how to polish the die without making it a 312?

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
It sounds like you make have a tiny burr on the edge of on the lube holes on the side of the die, I would try clearing it (if it is in fact the cause) through the lube hole itself before doing anything to the inside of the sizing die. I hope that made as much sense as I intended it to.

762sultan
12-21-2012, 09:37 AM
The first thing this morning I used small wood dowel rod with a large patch and rubbing compound. After gently working it back and forth for several minutes I cleaned it up and installed it in the sizer to see if it helped. It did help some but it still leaves small scratches on the bullet. I guess they are only cosmetic and will try shooting some of these to see if it really makes a difference that they don't look as perfect as I think they should. To me quality control ranks second only to "safety first". Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. I will check out the lube holes to see if thats the real problem.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Did you remove the die from the sizer, and completely clear out the lube port holes ? Sometimes there can be some debris that can stick on the edge of a port and not get pumped out, which will then scratch the boolits.
Jon

41 mag fan
12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
try what JonB posted first, then after getting the lube cleaned out, take some cotton balls and push thru it with the insert out of it, if theres a burr, it should catch some of the cotton ball strands and under a magnifying glass you should be able to see the strands and remove the burr if thats the case