PDA

View Full Version : Ruger OA lube

legend 550
12-19-2012, 01:36 AM
Ruger old army. I'm casting Lee 220 for it. Trying to lube boolits with Bees wax, Crisco, veggie oil lube. I cannot get the lube to stay in the smallish grooves in the Lee slug. When I shoot round balls I use wonder seals for lube over the rb. Can I just cut my lube into 1/8 inch thick cakes, and use just like wonder seals, and forget trying to keep lube in the grooves?

runfiverun
12-19-2012, 03:24 AM
yeah.
they make a lube extruder to do this easier.
you could add less crisco and oil, this will firm up the lube.

legend 550
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I had the lube hard at first, in the pouch lube just crumbled and fell out of the grooves.Tried making it softer. I think I got it too soft it made about the same mess as using bore butter.
I think I'll just use cakes. Thanks.

Gray Fox
12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I just made up a batch of lube for my Lee 200 grain conicals for my '58 Remingtons. In one of the small foil bread pans from the grocery store (about 2x6") I melted a rough 15-85% batch of beeswax to Crisco and added two tablespoons of olive oil to make it less stiff. Once I had it melted and mixed with a chopstick, I poured it around 21 of the boolits that I had placed in a small microwavable dish (that's all it would hold). I put them about 1/4" from each other so that I could later cut them out. I let the lube cool then put the dish in the fridg for about 10 minutes to firm it up a bit more. I cut them out with a fired .45-70 case with the primer pocket drilled out. I pushed the conicals out with an Allen wrench that fit the drilled pocket and put them in a styrofoam tray from a box of .45 ACP, and then did a second batch. Then I cut a piece of tablet backing to fit the tray and then secured that over the boolits with two rubber bands to keep them from falling out. I'll get to the range in the next couple of days and see how they shoot over 30-35 grains of KIK fffg powder. I hope this helps what you're doing. GF