PDA

View Full Version : Little Dandy rotor question

cheese1566
12-19-2012, 01:04 AM
I just came across my first RCBS Little Dandy powder measure. While cleaning it up, I noticed the opposite end of the rotor (not the end with the number stamped in it) has a small threaded hole in the center and a small plain hole about 1/8" deep a little offset from the center.

Was there an attachment at one time to thread in this hole?

I know RCBS currently offers a round knurled aluminum knob to aid in turning the rotor.

Doc Highwall
12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
I think that was to manufacture them for locating the cavities correctly.

David2011
12-21-2012, 01:27 AM
There was a larger diameter knob for the rotors available at one time.

David

HARRYMPOPE
12-21-2012, 02:06 AM
its for using them on the old "Green Machine" for attachment of the auto powder linkage.

Green Frog
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
A slight spinoff to this question... does anybody find a need to tap, rap, or otherwise jar their Little Dandy to get consistent and complete drops of some (or all) powders from it? I notice that some other rotating drum measures (notably the venerable Lyman #55) have the little knocker to jar loose those last few flakes. I'm particularly concerned with dropping very small "cat sneeze" loads of fast burning powders like Bullseye where the loss of a couple of tenths of a grain would make a big difference by percentage of charge weights, and where a subsequent dump could possibly make a significantly hotter load (even by adding just a few tenths.) BTW, has anybody tried the 0 and 00 sized rotors with Bullseye to give a report pro or con? :coffee:

Froggie

cheese1566
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I found my Little Dandy so far to be pretty consistent in dropping Win 231 with the #7 rotor. It is dropping 4.6 grains in my tests.

When using my other Hornady and RCBS measures, I have good luck in using a consistent action of a smooth rotation to drop.
Some tap, knock, and some do nothing. I think the biggest thing is to always be consistent and repetitive to get the same results.

Thanks Harry, that answers my question now. I knew about the big alum add on knob, but not the drilled and tap holes on the opposite side.

Doc Highwall
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM
RCBS makes a aluminum knob that has a set screw to go over the rotors to make it easier on your fingers to rotate for hand use,I have one.

cheese1566
12-21-2012, 09:00 PM
RCBS makes a aluminum knob that has a set screw to go over the rotors to make it easier on your fingers to rotate for hand use,I have one.

Somedays, its best just not to say anything...:roll:

375supermag
12-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I have not found a need to tap my Little Dandy powder measure to get consistent charges with any powder including Bullseye, Unique, Blue Dot, 2400 and Win296 (H110). I do find that the measure is more consistent if the powder reservoir is kept relatively full.

I have experimented with many of the rotors and find them to be surprisingly accurate when compared to the chart that RCBS furnishes.

Having said that, for mid-range loads that I shoot in large volume I don't worry too much about absolute accuracy (as regards powder charge) in each case. I still visually check each powder charge and weigh one in ten.
Any load that is being tested for accuracy in any caliber is weighed individually.

When testing full-power loads, I generally weigh each and every powder charge. Even after I am convinced that the measure is dropping accurate charges, I still weigh every tenth charge. Guns are expensive to replace...fingers and hands even more so.

willk
12-21-2012, 10:42 PM
I always lightly tap the side of the resivoir twice when after I turn the rotor up and twice when I turn the rotor down. Using this method, it drops Unique with very good accuracy.