PDA

View Full Version : Is my alloy too soft

j_dude77
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I am casting with 50/50 50:1 and magnum shot. I can shoot standard velocity 45 colt 8gr Unique loads all day and have not any discernible leading. When I load up 19gr+ 2400 loads I start getting leading on the muzzle end of the barrel. I am shooting a Ruger bisley. The throats have been reamed to .4525 and the forcing cone has been recut to 11 degrees.

runfiverun
12-18-2012, 10:44 PM
i doubt you are "too soft" you could use a little more tin though, that would help immensley.
another 1% would help a lot.

if you are getting a little grey smoke and a lead star you are exceeding the alloys capability.
it might be just a titch, does it do it with 18grs or 17grs.

j_dude77
12-18-2012, 11:02 PM
17-18gr I have minor leading at the muzzle end. I have shot loads that had 20gr of 2400, and I had to mine the lead out of the barrel. I definitely gets worse the harder I push it. I was thinking of using a different lube, but if the pressure is exceeding the strength of the alloy, then I am sure that will not solve the problem.

cbrick
12-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Try 17 or 18 gr as R5R suggested. A bit more tin as he suggested could also help.

Could also be running out of lube if all of the leading is at the muzzle. What lube and what boolit, how much lube does the boolit carry? IF it is too soft an alloy for the pressure and IF it's a good lube the lube could be getting squeezed out early.

Not really enough info to do much more than guess. As an example, you didn't say anything about leading at the beginning of the rifling so it's not skidding so it's probably not too soft. See what I mean, we could guess all night.

Rick

j_dude77
12-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I am using ben's red with a RCBS 270 SAA sized .454. I have no leading at the forcing cone or the beginning of the rifling. It just seems to lead the last inch of the barrel. The barrel length is 5.5 inches.

RobS
12-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Ben's Red is a decent lube if made right......I would change one thing at a time and go from there. It sounds like to me that you are having a lube issue or your barrel near the muzzle could be rough however I would think you would see a barrel issue by looking down it with a good light. What other calibers are you using your lube for?

runfiverun
12-19-2012, 03:42 AM
bens red is a good lube.

j_dude77
12-19-2012, 05:34 AM
I am only using it for 45 colt atm. As stated earlier I have no problems with leading when using standard pressure loads. I have shot 200+ rounds of standard pressure loads in my blackhawk without cleaning and did not see any buildup. I was thinking of trying some white label lube, maybe bac or carnuba red. I plan on getting a Rossi 92, so I am trying to work up a load using a slower powder to take advantage of the increased barrel length. I am just guessing, but if the pistol is leading at the muzzle I am sure a rifle would do it also.

**oneshot**
12-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I would try a different powder and see if its still there.

RobS
12-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I shoot a 310 grain LFN style boolit with 2400 and load it to 18 - 19 grains. You should be ok with 19 to 20 grains of 2400 underneath your 280 grainer. Before you start in on a new lube try a bit harder of a boolit, it won't cost you anything other than a bit of time. I water quench my WW boolits for my heavy 45 Colt and 454 Casull loads.

If you haven't it's a good read:
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Larry Gibson
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I am casting with 50/50 50:1 and magnum shot. I can shoot standard velocity 45 colt 8gr Unique loads all day and have not any discernible leading. When I load up 19gr+ 2400 loads I start getting leading on the muzzle end of the barrel. I am shooting a Ruger bisley. The throats have been reamed to .4525 and the forcing cone has been recut to 11 degrees.

As mentioned, you've a lube problem with that load not an alloy problem.

I'd suggest mixing 2% tin with the COWWs before adding the 50% lead for a better alloy, especially for the heavier load with 2400 load.

Larry Gibson

j_dude77
12-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Oneshot, I tried some Unique loads today and the leading started around 10 gr. RobS, I guess I could add some more magnum shot to the mix and see if it helps. Will also try water quenching. If not I have a bunch of commercial cast bullets that I could melt down and see if they work better. I am sure the are hardball alloy. The article you linked is what I was using as a basis for load development. Larry I am not using COWW, the supply around here is dried up. I have 50:1 lead/tin and magnum shot. I could get some more tin the mix. According to the alloy calculator floating around here it would only take 1/4 pound per 20 pounds of alloy to get it above 2%. I think I will melt down some of the commercial cast bullets I have and see how that works. Worst case I can use this alloy on standard 45 colt loads and for my 45 acp.