PDA

View Full Version : H&r bc

tbierley
12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I have one little thing to ask. My Buffalo Classic that is in 45/70 with 1in20 twist what weight bullet would stabalize best with this rifle. I have been shooting 500gr and 405 and it shoots very good.

johnson1942
12-18-2012, 10:34 PM
tbierley: you have a very good question. first of all dont go by weight, go by bullet length. if you are going to shoot 1000 yards try a bullet 1.3 to 1.32 long. if you are going to shoot mid range try a bullet 1.35 long. if you are going to shoot tight groups at 200 yards try abullet 1.4 to 1.45 long. a bullet pushing the edge of the greenhill formula in length like the 1.4 to 1.45 in a 1/20 twist usually shoots very very tight groups at 200 yards, but wont go much past 300 yards well. the 1.3 probably wont be as good at 200 yards but will do very well way out their. length is more important than weight. dont over charge, really good accuracy isnt always achieved with heavy powder loads. your barrel is rather light weight, try cryo treating it, it gives a shooter an edge on lighter weight barrels. cryo treating will help keep the vibrations down or calm them down. i have a buffalo classic and would never sell it. ive made mine really shoot. check out the paper patch bullet section of this site, you might want to try them in your gun, they work very well in mine. have fun.

tbierley
12-19-2012, 09:37 PM
What type bullet are you paper patching. Yes I was thinking about paper patching.

johnson1942
12-20-2012, 12:36 AM
tbierley: you can go to, buffalo arms ,on the internet and they have them as cheap as what it cost localy to cast from my mould. for your catridge 45/70 go .451 or .450 diam and a 500 grain bullet. get the paper at the paper store on the internet. dont worry if it is 100 percent wood fiber it will still work very good. wrap so that it wraps opposite your twist on your barrel. that ways it will come off faster. lube with graphite powder, no oils or grease. no grease cookie. if you use black powder wipe one damp patch between rounds, or use black horn 209 powder and put in in with a drop tube like you do black. or use 35 grains of reloader 7, it is bulky and will fill a case enough, is clean accurate and low pressure. you wont have to clean between shots with the last two. use a .60 thousands poly wad or .60 thousands fiber wad in between powder and base of bullet. the paper size is number nine onion skin and again all wood fiber is fine. now if you want you can send me you barrel and i will put a 1/4 inch throat in the breach end of the barrel for free. i have several throating reamers and i have one to fit you gun. i did that to mine. what that does is allow you to put more powder in you case and place the front of the bullet up a little into the bore. i think it helps accuracy. it will only take 5 minutes and i will send your barrel back. that is up to you on this. you can contact me through pineridgeblackpowder.com on the internet. if not,good luck, your gun is a very good reliable fun gun.