PDA

View Full Version : Castboolit Gardeners !!! any interest in a seed exchange ?

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Dear Castboolit gardeners,
I have a few Family heirloom seeds that are prized more than gold.
Does anyone else have similar ?
That they'd care to exchange ?

Obviously my seeds are geared for the long days and short season of Minnesota and would prefer to trade with the same, but, sometimes it's fun to experiment with something special, and you never know, a seed from Alabama, just might be productive here in MN.

I've been doing my Garden planning for 2013 along with my two organic veggie farmer friends. We all save seeds and share between us (I actually do some of the seed cleaning/saving for one of the farmers).
Anyway, I am hoping to broaden my sources, maybe you want to also ?

AND HECK, it nothing else, looking through these photos is like
taking a walk through my garden, nothing better than that
this time of year.

Here are my most prized seeds.

"Sausage" Roma type Tomato
I only plant two of these plants each year since they are so productive, this table full is from one picking of the 2 plants.
just to the right of the table, you can see the plant with
a few green tomatoes still on the vine.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Sausage2011.jpg

Rutgers Tomato
I save seed from the Healthiest small size plants with smaller size friuts (6 to 8 oz). I grow quite a few of these every year for Juice as well as eating. I like that they take up a fairly small space, don't grow into each other and tip over the cage due to large size friuts or don't outgrow the cage...while the photo shows this plant is kinda out of control, it's the only good photo with fruit I could find.
They are fairly blight resistant.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/rutgerssmallplant.jpg

Black brandywine tomato
Very tasty and surprizingly earlier than the Rutgers.
Downside, they tend to crack badly.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/BlackBrandywine.jpg
Black brandywine with Rutgers
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/BlackBrandywinewithRutgers.jpg

Taxi (yellow) Tomato
very early (55 day), low acid and sweet. small size plant.
shown with others about to be juiced.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Taxi.jpg

Campfire Tomato
These may be also known as La Flamme'
This is a recent find of my veggie farmer friend.
This is the tastiest tomato I ever tasted.
sliced open it looks like a little campfire flame.
it does crack some, like most heirloom tomatoes,
but now nearly as bad as the black brandywine
It produces friut very early like the Black brandywine
shown with a cherry tomato for size comparison.

This plant and root mass grow huge, and will send out vines and take over the garden if you let it.
Root Mass photo: the plant to the left is a healthy
Rutgers plant, The Campfire to the right...I put the
12oz Popcan for size comparison, it's kind of hard to see,
but the very base of the Campfire stock is the same diameter
as the popcan.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Laflame.jpg
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Laflamesliced.jpg
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Laflameroots.jpg

Ruby King Bell Pepper
Rich full bodied sweet flavor, Productive healthy plant.
I get about 20 peppers per plant in a Minnesota season.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/RubyKing2012.jpg

Quadratto yellow bell pepper.
These are huge thick walled peppers,
but they are late season, and few per plant.
sorry, I don't have a photo before it was cooked.
shown in a 6" skillet.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Quadratoyellowbell.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM
One more...

Buttercup/goldencup winter Squash.
My Buddy grows 2 acres of these, over the years
he has saved seed from the largest, blockiest,
Thick walled, tastiest squash. While these are open
pollinated, my Buddy gets squash that looks like this,
from about 70% of the plants from this seed.
they can get up to 15 lbs each.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/buttercupgoldencupHeavyandthickwall.jpg

waksupi
12-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I have some northern heirlooms I might trade. My two best are Painted Mountain Indian corn, and an Indian cantaloupe. The corn makes excellent corn meal and flour, and matures in around 101 days. The cantaloupe are a very small variety, only the size of a baseball, and are green and veined when ripe. Very tasty single serving. Matures in about the same length of time.
I'm looking for other Indian winter squash seeds. I do have some Mandan, but it cross pollinated, and is an undetermined strain now.

By the way, when tomatoes are cracking, that is usually caused by over watering. Once the fruit has set on mine, I cut the plants WAY back, and really cut back on watering.

Hickory
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Would you be willing to sale 25 of your Ruby King Bell Pepper seeds?

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Hickory,
I sent you a PM
Jon

oneokie
12-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Dang it, now I have a craving for tomatoes. Guess I will have to settle for a jar of juice.

I have some Amish Oxheart seed I can send if you would like. They are iffy here in the heat and dry weather.

Bored1
12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Wish I had something to trade for some of that! Gonna try a garden for the first time this summer and see how it goes. Figure it should work well here in Nebraska seeing as I live in the city and still had some random sweet corn grow in my backyard this year. If it grows wild, should be able to grow it trying too. LOL>

Where do you find "indian" plant seeds?

dale2242
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I may be interested.
Depends on what people had to trade.
I have some Butternut, acorn squash , pumpkin , Indian corn and giant sun flower seeds I would trade...dale

oneokie
12-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I may be interested.
Depends on what people had to trade.
I have some Butternut, acorn squash , pumpkin , Indian corn and giant sun flower seeds I would trade...dale

What?!!!! No zukes?

reloader28
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
WOW, great looking crop. Makes me wish for summer.
Unfortunately, we're just getting started with our heirloom seed trials. We wont know till next summer.

I did pick up a handy looking book this fall called "Saving Seeds". It looks really good.

waksupi
12-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Wish I had something to trade for some of that! Gonna try a garden for the first time this summer and see how it goes. Figure it should work well here in Nebraska seeing as I live in the city and still had some random sweet corn grow in my backyard this year. If it grows wild, should be able to grow it trying too. LOL>

I could set you up with enough corn seed for you to build foundation stock. It wouldn't be many, as I ground most of mine. Each year you plant, select the best genetics for the next years seed, and each following year the strain will improve. It takes 4-5 generations (years) for the seed stock to adjust to your particular soil and climate conditions.
You can contact the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Nebraska, or Knife River Indian village, in North Dakota for native stock seed, including tobacco, I believe. The Painted Mountain corn comes from Dave Christanson (sp) down in Big Timber, Montana. I've known Dave for nearly 30 years, and he developed this strain for short season Montana growing. Search "Painted Mountain".

If you are near Sioux City, talk to some of the Poncas, you may find someone who will trade you some local heirloom seeds. They have some good strains.

Since you are in town, get the book Square Foot Gardening. You won't regret it. Since switching over to that method, my production has been incredible.

Marvin S
12-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I have garlic. Dont know what varity it is other than it is a hardneck type. It came from an old township that completly burt down abut 100 years ago in north east Kansas it grows wild there.

Marvin S
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Also have some bloody butcher corn. You can google the story about it. There is also them magic beans I got years and never planted.

OeldeWolf
12-22-2012, 12:43 AM
I do not have any to trade, I am afraid. I have always raised a few things, like tomatos, but usually bought plants. This year I planted a bunch more, all in pots. It at least gave me a good idea of what I will need to have to produce enough for us, maybe can some for winter. I just git another copy of square foot gardening and seed to seed. My boss borrowed my first set, so I gave them to him for Christmas. Unfortunately, I found out too late I was doing a few things wrong, so it is not worth saving most of my seeds.

So I am looking for seeds. To trade I have aspasragus beans <over a foot long, taste like asparagus>. I am looking for tomato, bell pepper, squash <perhaps summer crookneck, acorn, or that one Jon B has, or zukes> , melons of some variety, peas, anasazi beans, any herbs, onions, garlic, egg plant. And any advice on propagatiopn. Oh, I have snow drop bulbs, need to thin the patch under the faucet.

I am always interested in advice, as I am just starting out in this. Mom always bought seeds.

waksupi
12-22-2012, 01:05 AM
I do not have any to trade, I am afraid. I have always raised a few things, like tomatos, but usually bought plants. This year I planted a bunch more, all in pots. It at least gave me a good idea of what I will need to have to produce enough for us, maybe can some for winter. I just git another copy of square foot gardening and seed to seed. My boss borrowed my first set, so I gave them to him for Christmas. Unfortunately, I found out too late I was doing a few things wrong, so it is not worth saving most of my seeds.

So I am looking for seeds. To trade I have aspasragus beans <over a foot long, taste like asparagus>. I am looking for tomato, bell pepper, squash <perhaps summer crookneck, acorn, or that one Jon B has, or zukes> , melons of some variety, peas, anasazi beans, any herbs, onions, garlic, egg plant. And any advice on propagatiopn. Oh, I have snow drop bulbs, need to thin the patch under the faucet.

I am always interested in advice, as I am just starting out in this. Mom always bought seeds.

I would really like to try the asparagus beans. I have some heirloom Beefsteak tomato seeds. I have some old strain beans I think are Anasazi, I think. PM an address if you want to trade.

Bored1
12-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I could set you up with enough corn seed for you to build foundation stock. It wouldn't be many, as I ground most of mine. Each year you plant, select the best genetics for the next years seed, and each following year the strain will improve. It takes 4-5 generations (years) for the seed stock to adjust to your particular soil and climate conditions.
You can contact the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron Nebraska, or Knife River Indian village, in North Dakota for native stock seed, including tobacco, I believe. The Painted Mountain corn comes from Dave Christanson (sp) down in Big Timber, Montana. I've known Dave for nearly 30 years, and he developed this strain for short season Montana growing. Search "Painted Mountain".

If you are near Sioux City, talk to some of the Poncas, you may find someone who will trade you some local heirloom seeds. They have some good strains.

Since you are in town, get the book Square Foot Gardening. You won't regret it. Since switching over to that method, my production has been incredible.

Thanks for the pointers!!! Going to start working on that as soon as the holidays are over. I will keep you posted if I end up with something worth trading!!!

10 ga
12-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Last 2 years I've purchased heirloom seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange mostly but several others. Just kinda starting and don't know how many of you guys would be in the coastal VA, "mid atlantic coast" type climate. My Cherokee Purple tomatoes and Turkey Craw beans have done very well here. I'm interested but a rookie at it. Best, 10 ga

X Z

Just Duke
12-24-2012, 12:05 AM
I'd trade 45-70 bullets for Bell Pepper Seeds.

Bored1
12-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys!!!!

Grabbed a copy of New square foot gardening and it turns out a few local Lakota members don't mind sharing some seeds!!! May have to take you up on the offer waksupi maybe once I get the seeds there will be something you wanna try!

fatboy
12-24-2012, 12:29 AM
here is one of the sites i got my mandan red corn from, Victory seeds also has alot of heirlom seed. had to reorder seed this year mine crossed with my yukon chief i think.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/default.aspx

fatboy
12-24-2012, 12:34 AM
I have some yukon chief corn which is a 55 day dwarf single cross, grows good in mandan ND, i also have french breakfast radishs that love the north country. and winter onions, once you plant em you cant get rid of em. the onions i would have to get to you in the spring when they start growing though.

waksupi
12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I'd trade 45-70 bullets for Bell Pepper Seeds.

Duke, just PM your address, I can send you some Anaheim seeds. I'm pretty sure I have some here. No need to send the boolits.

375RUGER
12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I have these seeds:

white cotton
congo watermelon
clemson spineless okra
popcorn
after I do some germination testing I might have some chile pepper seeds

I want:
green or brown cotton
black diamond watermelon
sugar baby watermelon
white corn

OeldeWolf
12-27-2012, 01:40 AM
I have been reading in Seed to Seed. How do you folks prevent cross pollination? I understand planting 1 each of 3 colors of bell peppers, and a thai dragon ppper all in a line, was not the best thing to have done. :)

oneokie
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I have been reading in Seed to Seed. How do you folks prevent cross pollination? I understand planting 1 each of 3 colors of bell peppers, and a thai dragon ppper all in a line, was not the best thing to have done. :)

Corn has to be separated by over a mile, or cover the silks and hand pollinate.
Tomatoes for the most part are self pollinating, there are a few that will cross, Brandywine is one.
Peppers and the few tomato blossoms can be bagged with cheese cloth to prevent crossing.
Cucurbits done similar.
Beans are not a problem for cross pollinating.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Hickory, Waksupi, oneokie, Duke Nukem, Oelde Wolf,
seeds sent out.
Jon

oneokie
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Jon, yours are in the mail today.

waksupi
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Mailed yesterday, Jon.

drinks
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Baker's seeds, Totally Tomatoes, Johnny's Selected Seeds, Shumway and several other commercial sources have at least some open pollinated seeds.
For hot climates try Porter's , a pink or red plum that is the only tomato that can keep on producing at 100' here.

Smijen48
01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
JonB Those pics are beautiful. I live in Louisiana I have quite a few seeds but don't know how well they would do there

Just Duke
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the seeds. :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
We are gettin' closer !!!

these will probably get transplanted in about 2 weeks, depending on the weather outlook at that time. But it's 70º and sunny today, YAHOO !!!

Thanks again oneokie and waksupi

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/2flats_zps66cdc713.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/2flats_zps66cdc713.jpg.html)

mainiac
05-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Man i wish i knew this thread was here,a few months ago. I have some heirloom beans that i save.Id love to try some of them 55 day yellow tomatoes that you spoke of. Im up here in the to short north as well, and i have to wait until 4th week in july, to get a ripe mater.

BTW,, my favorite mater is the "prudens purple". You can buy the seed from johnnys selected seeds(right here in maine),,they are similar to the brandywine,but taste better,IMO....

firefly1957
05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I got the bug too 30 tomato plants 36 pepper plants will plant some lettuce also i gave up on radishes & carrots they just do not grow well here. Potatoes do well but i have none in. Sunflowers are coming up i hope i do not have a whistle pig around again they destroy them as they start. Been in the 80's here but a cool down is forecast .

mainiac
05-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I dont generally plant my tomaters until memorial day weekend,,but once again,i started my plants to early,and they are now about 16 inches tall.I might plant them early,before they get stunted.

firefly1957
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Well i am glad i did not jump the gun and plant tomatoes or peppers yet as there is Snow in Sunday's forecast!

oneokie
05-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Bought plants;
Cherokee Purple
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/oneokie/IMG_0021.jpg
Marglobe
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/oneokie/IMG_0019.jpg
California Wonder
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/oneokie/IMG_0026.jpg

Jon, repotted the sausage roma plants from your seed today. The Ruby King plants need some more size before they get repotted.

Greg
07-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Fall grown Peas

This Spring I had a terrible time with my spring Peas. after I had planted we had some hard rains that crusted the ground and the seedling couldn’t push through. it stayed too wet to cultivate them

With the moderate summer heat here in the Midwest, I want try for a fall crop.

any experiences and tips would be appreciated

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Myself, being in zone 4, I find that most any fall crop needs to be planted by July 1st...except for radishes, spinach, chard, and Lettuce.
I planted some fall Beets about 2 weeks ago, being in the ground, they'll be fine if hit by early frost. our typical first frost date is Sept. 21...What Zone are you in ? You should be able to look up your typical first frost date for you city/county.

ACrowe25
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
Beautiful tomato OP! Can't wait to get an area of my own for some gardening...

Greg
08-01-2013, 11:43 AM
JonB

I’m in zone 6, our average first Frost is around October 20th

I currently have beets in the two beds that I want to plant the fall peas in. Almanac shows moon favorable August 13 & 14 which will work out nice.

So I should have 9 or 10 weeks before frost, and I can cover the beds if I need to

badge176
11-23-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a bunch of Mammoth sunflower seeds- mine made it to almost 13 feet tall with 12-20 inch diameter heads!), and an Heirloom early (89 day?) sweet corn that I saved seed from...

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Myself, being in zone 4, I find that most any fall crop needs to be planted by July 1st...except for radishes, spinach, chard, and Lettuce.
I planted some fall Beets about 2 weeks ago, (about 7-15-2013) being in the ground, they'll be fine if hit by early frost. our typical first frost date is Sept. 21...What Zone are you in ? You should be able to look up your typical first frost date for you city/county.

I dug a handfull of my FALL beets today (it's 19ºF right now). The largest ones are the size of golfballs, that's about as small as I like them. There is maybe an one gallon bucket of them that'll get dug up sometime today or this week? The handfull was cleaned and halved and is in a 350º oven right now, planned for lunch.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/DSCF1005_zpse78df7d9.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/DSCF1005_zpse78df7d9.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/DSCF1006_zps55c6431c.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/DSCF1006_zps55c6431c.jpg.html)

OeldeWolf
01-20-2014, 12:21 AM
It is getting that time. Time to think on the coming gardens. And seeds for them.

I have asparagus bean seeds to trade, and chive seeds. And the red Thai dragon peppers. These were a leggier variety than what I bought from the growers, and not quite as heavy a bearer. But I also started them late. I have a few long, Japanese egg plant seeds also, but off of a limited number of plants.

Looking for garlic, a determinate tomato variety for canning, and anything interesting, lol.

waksupi
01-20-2014, 03:13 AM
It is getting that time. Time to think on the coming gardens. And seeds for them.

I have asparagus bean seeds to trade, and chive seeds. And the red Thai dragon peppers. These were a leggier variety than what I bought from the growers, and not quite as heavy a bearer. But I also started them late. I have a few long, Japanese egg plant seeds also, but off of a limited number of plants.

Looking for garlic, a determinate tomato variety for canning, and anything interesting, lol.

Try out local garlic, if you can find it. The more years you plant it in the same soil, the better it gets. I'm on fourth generation this coming season, this year was good. I would also like to find some real knock your socks off strong garlic to start.
You're kind of late for planting garlic, I plant mine in September. As soon as you can knock a hole in the ground, I would set it out.

Baja_Traveler
01-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I have seed from my last crop of Boldog Paprika. Here is a picture from a 5 hour run through my smoker using mesquite. It was then run through a spice mill and ground to a powder. I use smoked paprika in all my rubs, and it makes a great addition to chili...

dale2242
01-22-2014, 08:57 AM
I have giant sun flower seeds I can share.
They get 12-13 ' tall with seed heads 12-18" wide...dale

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
I am waking up this thread, while it's a little late to start Pepper plants, (I started mine 2 weeks ago). I will start Tomatoes in about a week. So now is the time if someone wants a few seeds I listed in the OP.

Outer Rondacker
03-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Its a nice thread. I feel gardening and shooting/hunting go along with living off the land and are interest of the same bread of person.

davidheart
04-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Golly I'm coming into this late. I wish there was a growers forum with a seed exchange sticky!

Your tomatoes look great. I'm generally horrible at tomatoes and I'd need something really hardy. Do you have any of your "Sausage Roma" and "Campfire Tomato"? I'd also be interested in your Ruby King Bell Pepper.

I have Seminole Pumpkin, North GA Candy Roaster, Cushaw Squash, Rouge et Noir Cowpeas, White Half Runner, Burmese Okra and (very little) White Cucumber seed.

Baja, your Boldog Paprika look great! Would you like to exchange any seed?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Your tomatoes look great. I'm generally horrible at tomatoes and I'd need something really hardy. Do you have any of your "Sausage Roma" and "Campfire Tomato"? I'd also be interested in your Ruby King Bell Pepper.

I have Seminole Pumpkin, North GA Candy Roaster, Cushaw Squash, Rouge et Noir Cowpeas, White Half Runner, Burmese Okra and (very little) White Cucumber seed.

Yes I do have the seed you ask about.
I am interested in the seeds I highlighted.

PM Sent

Reg
04-09-2014, 10:43 AM
If someone would like to try something a bit different, a couple years ago a fellow found a sealed oha ( I think thats how they say water jug ) that had a bunch of corn from the Anasazi down in the four corners. He gave a couple ears to my cousin and she raised it in town. We have too much corn around us out here to prevent cross pollination. Anyway I wound up with a couple ears that I have kept in a sealed jar. Would be glad to send out a few seeds if anyone wants to give it a try but do only have a very limited amount. Give me a PM.
The base seed these seeds came from could easily have been from 1200 to 1300 years ago.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Rouge et Noir Cowpeas, White Half Runner, Burmese Okra and (very little) White Cucumber seed.
davidheart, Thanks again for these seeds. My veggie farmer friend is growing all the Cuc's and Okra, ...and some of the beans, as I am limited with space in town.

The Beans and most of the Cowpeas are up (photos from yesterday).
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Peppersandbeans_zps8dffa63a.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Peppersandbeans_zps8dffa63a.jpg.html)

AND yesterday, I also transplanted everything...The Garden is all in :)
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/morepepper_zpsa814bc12.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/morepepper_zpsa814bc12.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/peppers_zps024b48a8.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/peppers_zps024b48a8.jpg.html)

The Garlic is looking great this year, so far... (I had failures the last two years).
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Garlic_zps92691e45.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Garlic_zps92691e45.jpg.html)

The Hops are a couple feet tall...6 more weeks and they'll top out at about 25'.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Hops_zps7cd8894c.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Hops_zps7cd8894c.jpg.html)

New this year to my Razberries...is my 'tree O lights'
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/treeOlights_zps485fc515.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/treeOlights_zps485fc515.jpg.html)

davidheart
05-22-2014, 01:17 PM
WOW That's awesome I'm so glad to see a picture of my kids coming up. I'm glad to have been able to contribute. We started a lot of your tomato seeds in case germination was less than hoped. Germination turned out to be 100% and we have more tomato plants than we know what to do with. We planted most of them in the raised beds and they're coming up but we're working on finding homes for all the extras!

Please keep us informed and thank you for the update!

MaryB
05-22-2014, 10:33 PM
No such thing as to many tomato plants! But I like tomato juice for breakfast so I could raise a LOT of them. In my small garden and half a 55 gallon drum pots I will have 5 roma tomatoes, 1 beefsteak, 12x12 foot patch of sweet corn, trying brussels sprouts this year, cucumbers, lettuce mix, spinach, radishes, green beans to make garlic bean pickles plus whatever the neighbor wants in the other pots and raised beds. We share a garden and the labor of weeding.

brasshog
05-24-2014, 06:28 PM
I mostly plant peppers in my garden. This year it's peter peppers, mammoth jalapeno, tabasco, hot golden cayenne (new to me), bhut joloka aka ghost pepper (also new), Serrano, Anaheim, orange habanero, purple hull peas, and lastly some maters of some sort. I think the maters are the beef masters that my wife likes a lot. I also have oranges, Satsuma, meyer lemon, Fuji apple, Gala apple, banana, seedless grapes, Georgia peach, and pink lemon trees/vines growing. I tend to make a lot of hot and non-hot sauces from peppers. The wife takes the mammoth jalapenos and stuffs them with montery jack/Colby cheese, wraps them in bacon (keeps the cheese in), and we grill or smoke them. I can't grow maters worth a darn nor broccoli but my neighbor can make them grow like trees. We trade a lot lol. Especially for my eggs. If anyone wants any seeds from florida then let me know what you want and I'll look when I'm out again or your welcome to some of mine.

BrassMagnet
06-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I garden with Mrs Brass every year. I provide the brawn and she provides the brains.
My Grandmother used to save seeds and replant every year from saved seed. I really wish I had paid attention. I have Seed to Seed, but I haven't managed to save any yet. I have bought heirloom seeds from multiple sources, but I haven't used them yet. We used to have a local business which sold feed and seed, but they are gone now.
I planted a bunch of stuff from the nursery this year.

rmatchell
06-02-2014, 07:30 PM
My wife and I are still learning our way around the garden. Does anybody know a good book on gardening and how to save seeds?

Our family project now is growing our own fruit and vegetables, we also raise chickens. Slowly we will learn how to fend for ourselfs better and not have to worry so much about my job.

oneokie
06-03-2014, 07:58 PM
www.homsteadingtoday.com is a good web site for gardening information. Scroll down the main index page to "Gardening and Plant Proprogation"

Pigboat
06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I wish I'd found this thread earlier. Heirloom tomatoes are the only ones I grow because I save the seeds from year to year. I've had good luck with seeds up to five years old.

This is a great place to get seeds. A little pricy but once you have them, they just keep growing.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

Pigboat
06-06-2014, 08:33 PM
My wife and I are still learning our way around the garden. Does anybody know a good book on gardening and how to save seeds?

Our family project now is growing our own fruit and vegetables, we also raise chickens. Slowly we will learn how to fend for ourselfs better and not have to worry so much about my job.

This book covers about everything when it comes to saving/using seeds.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Seed-Starters-Handbook/dp/0878577521

CHeatermk3
06-25-2017, 08:13 PM
There's a lot of good info in the Garden Way "The joy of Gardening" book written for the TroyBilt tillers company...

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiG88DZnNrUAhVDXH4KHcOEBn0YABAHGgJwYw&sig=AOD64_0gILdAUxBEnXZ-eb8JDarn-9ul_A&adurl=&ctype=5&q=&nb=9&res_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2F&nm=8&nx=53&ny=69&is=428x408&clkt=255&bg=!CgmlCRFE_hDehEQc5iYCAAAAXVIAAAAfCgA5R3w5ZDqmqk yrvfE28I_MDVUeUfpUehbJaevESqRPgl2KVJjz9ZmgpxXIjT4C GmH95XHIqFnje9YGmQDwudVIrK7OG7rznAEms8gPWyx32w9FKj HAWRJhON4NnLX3gPhzGIM6AgZq8aGY8WHQjnxhM_MKfVjlkHdC dOu7sehec-b3S7iJ0bYjJxw90bzOsLX_q2aeElim1f2rv_Q8K6tmkNjyES59 A92n69MudYQ3ByMoKLD_eoLz0TU5Df4VbeDuZ1idtv76Eikn1V ueqaTz5dciJQC-1SmG_NdTbapt5eUQTLI9wmZ32HhXXwdAIRwpxvrpI6ZSnf_Hjo WRGdHcfrJgp0yWaWgtwLoJ0mMZYCkaGZniILP6sbdufxsk0KAN 1Nsdu_b1c-ruWzYc

You surely can find it on Amazon too.