PDA

View Full Version : What other ways to you use your lead?

Revolver
12-18-2012, 02:20 PM
What do you use your lead for while it is waiting to become boolits?

I'm using a 272 lb chunk for weight on my plow truck. Drilled 2 holes and lag bolted it to the planking, I'm sure I'm not the only one!

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/mainejunker/Plow-Truck-with-Lead-Ballast_zpsbe5c2633.jpg

Love Life
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Roundballs for a slingshot. These heavy lead balls provide considerably more thump on my steel target than the steel ball bearings.

Harter66
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Decoy anchors,door stops and paper weights.

The door stops are from the early days...... about 5yr ago when my ingot mould was a decorative bean pot that yielded a 9# ingot.

runfiverun
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
revolver you need to be careful where you park that truck, i'll steal that chunk o' lead and make boolits out of it....:lol:

Revolver
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
revolver you need to be careful where you park that truck, i'll steal that chunk o' lead and make boolits out of it....:lol:

All you will need is a 9/16" wrench for the lag bolts then just heft it onto your shoulder and try to outrun me. ;-)

That sparks a memory (my memory is junk, so this is a rare event). This summer my 10 year old son and had an est. 800 lb block of lead strapped down on the flatbed of my pickup, transporting it home. We stopped and went into McDonalds, he voiced his concern that someone might steal our lead block off the truck while we were eating. :)

Charlie Two Tracks
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
I use 3-10lb weights to anchor the Directv antenna to the ground when we are at the lake in our RV. I painted them black so no one will think I'm poisoning the world or something.

David2011
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
When I build radio controlled airplanes I use ingots to hold wood flat, keep spars in place in the ribs and for other gravity assisted holding duties. I've started wrapping them in aluminum foil to reduce the handling of lead during activities where it isn't necessary for the lead to be exposed.

David

Bad Water Bill
12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I built my own LEAD SLED. They said use bags of bird shot to keep the sled in place. Have you checked the price of shot versus your own cast musket balls. You guessed it. In my spare time (I am retired) I would cast up more round projectiles till I discovered I had about 100# of them:-). Sewed a bunch in some heavy material and all is good.

The sled was made of junk laying around. total cost 1 can of spray paint and my time.
The bags were made of more stuff laying around.
The lead had been stashed for years so no cash out of pocket there. Life is good.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Revolver
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Need pictures. :)

I built my own LEAD SLED. They said use bags of bird shot to keep the sled in place. Have you checked the price of shot versus your own cast musket balls. You guessed it. In my spare time (I am retired) I would cast up more round projectiles till I discovered I had about 100# of them:-). Sewed a bunch in some heavy material and all is good.

The sled was made of junk laying around. total cost 1 can of spray paint and my time.
The bags were made of more stuff laying around.
The lead had been stashed for years so no cash out of pocket there. Life is good.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Bad Water Bill
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
I would if I could. The sled is stashed at a friends personal range 40 miles away.

The sled is almost a perfect copy of the Midway one except I had heavier square tubing to work with.

Also No camera or computer savvy to post pictures.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I've made a few fishing lures out of my meager stash

btroj
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I am getting ready to put some in the bed of the truck since we are getting snow soon.

johnny-appleweed
12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
I am cleaning some w/w and molding them in a muffin pan (480 so far) The wife took one and hung it in a gallon pickle jur to give to her father as a gift. He likes to shake the heck out of all his gifts before opening them.

Who will have to clean up that mess?

Do I get my lead back?

reloader28
12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
I've made sinkers and weights for holding stuff flat.

I had over 400lbs in 30lb cakes mounted to different places in my stockcar for making minimum weight and handling adjustments.
I had'nt started casting boolits yet, and I cant believe I let it all go when I sold out.[smilie=b:

ElDorado
12-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Oh man!

This thread just reminded me that I have about 35 lbs of pure lead weights on a couple of old diving belts somewhere. Gotta find those.

alamogunr
12-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Occasionally, I need to apply pressure to some glue-up in the shop. When it is a broad area such as plywood, I use boxes of ingots. Each box is about 100 lbs. I found that one such glue-up was about 4'X4'. Even 6-8 boxes wouldn't compress it evenly. It still worked but my OCD wasn't satisfied.

colt 357
12-19-2012, 03:39 AM
fishing sinkers

Doughty
12-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I store lots of lead in the cabinets that are underneath and part of my small drill presses, lathes, bench grinders and mills. Also on the base of a steel pedestal that I have lube/sizers mounted to. Heard the story about a fellow that had a footlocker size metal box made up with a big lock on it. Placed it beside a road, mostly filled it with lead, then backed off and took videos of people trying to steal it.