PDA

View Full Version : What's a 50-70 Rolliing Block New York?

Just Duke
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Wifey's GF has inherited a couple rifle and she asked me. I'm still waiting on pics.

wild thing
12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
State militia rifle in 50-70 cal. The hammer went to half cock notch when you rolled the block into battery. john

Just Duke
12-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks a bunch. Now that I know what I'm looking for it says it's worth $950.00

MikeS
12-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks a bunch. Now that I know what I'm looking for it says it's worth $950.00

Remember, with guns as old as these are the prices are highly variable. The condition is everything. Sometimes the condition can be confusing, as the rifle might be in 'mint' condition, or it could be a rusted out piece of junk. Also, when dealing with rifles that shot BP, and used corrosive primers, it's possible to get a rifle that looks like it just came out of the factory doors, but it was shot a few times, and never cleaned, so the barrel is rusted so bad you can't even see the rifling! Or on the other end of things, you might find a rifle that is all banged up, and red with rust, but the bore still has the original factory grease in it, and when cleaned it looks like a new barrel! And of course you could have a rifle with any combination of these things. It also depends on the intended use of the rifle. If somebody just wants a nice wall hanger, then the bore condition doesn't mean much, but external condition does, or on the other end, somebody looking for a shooter might not care about the external condition, as long as it was functionally in good shape. Add to that the normal 'How badly do you want to buy it, and how badly do you want to sell it' and you'll find that pricing can go from $20.00 to $20,000.00!! I once saw a guy take a mint condition Ford Mustang 5.0 and sell it (complete with title, he was the legal owner) for $20.00 worth of drugs!

gandydancer
12-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Wifey's GF has inherited a couple rifle and she asked me. I'm still waiting on pics.

Get George Laymans book on remington rolling block rifles. a great rifle. "Soft cover"or "Hard cover" GD

Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World, by George Layman
www.trackofthewolf.com/?p=BOOK-RRB-MRW - Cached
George Layman'sThe All New Collector's Guide to Remington ...
George Layman'sThe All New Collector's Guide to Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World [Hardcover](2010) [G., (Author) Layman] on Amazon.com. *FREE ...
www.amazon.com/LaymansThe-Collectors-Remington-Military... - Cached

kodiak1
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Duke i just picked on up here in Canada in Very Good Shape with a box of 50-70 Cartridges (time period) for $1500.00.
I thought that was a very fair price.

Ken.

Just Duke
12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys I'll tell her what it's worth. I'll post some pics if anyone has any interest in this type of rifle.

wild thing
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes , please do. It is always nice to see some of these old timers. john

boommer
12-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Duke I have a NY RB mines in good shape nice bore few small pits, still in the white and the cleaning rod is missing. I picked it up on a auction 6 mo ago for 300.00 I seen one other gone on auction around here and it went for 725.00 about the same shape as mine. Ive shot it about 100 rounds though it not the most accurate 4" at 50 yds and 100 12" group.

Ed in North Texas
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
As others have said, prices are highly variable. I have one in pretty good shape which I picked up for $450 on GB. Perfect bore, bright and shining. No pitting on the metal which is "in the white" and speckled, wood finish really good for a rifle made in 1872 and the rifle is 100% original. Picked up another for $400, bore cleaning showed it to be better than I thought it would be, no pitting and slightly dark near the muzzle (I think it hung over a fireplace), the metal exterior is dark and slightly rough, wood finish not real good and the butt stock had been replaced at some point - whoever did that never sanded it down and it was done a long time ago. Missing the cleaning rod.

I've seen others with an asking price around $1,000. US (Springfield Armory production) 1871 .50-70 rifles generally bring more than the NYS Militia model (far fewer made), and the Navy 1870 .50-70 RBs also usually bring far more money. The rifles served from 1872 to 1895 with the NY State Militia.

Ed