PDA

View Full Version : Collet die for 7,62x54r

DeanWinchester
12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't see it listed under lees website, anyone know if they make a collet die for the old Russian?

Beekeeper
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Dean,
I think you can use a 303 British collet die for them.
I seem to have read that somewhere here on the forum.
Anyway I just got a 303 collet die from Titan reloading and am going to give it a try

The Lee Number from Titan is 906DD , the DD meaning it is a special order and not in the Lee catalog.Paid $19.50 plus shipping from Titan.

beekeeper

mac60
12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't think that's a regular production item. Normally, you could get them to make you one, but I don't think they're taking any orders for custom work until next year.

I'll Make Mine
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Looks like you'd have a job ahead of you to use the .303 die to size 7.62x54R -- the .303 die is longer to the base of the neck (2.22") than the full case length of the x54R (2.106"), so when the collet closes, there won't be any neck inside. I'm not sure how much the action of the collet die resembles that of the Factory Crimp die (I've got the latter, but not the former), but I doubt you could trim the .303 die and have it still function. You'd have a better chance of adding a collar on the 7.62x39 collet die -- just a 15 mm tall collar added to the bottom of the die (JB Weld or Acraglas should do the job, if you clean everything well) would let the die close correctly without having to stack washers around each case as you work.

What I plan to do, at least at first, is simple adjust my full length sizing die so the neck is sized just short of the shoulder -- that is, rather than letting the shell holder bump the die, I'll set the die higher so as to not push back the shoulder (which should also minimize or eliminate working the body behind the shoulder of this tapered case). Eventually, I'll probably get a 7.62x39 collet die and modify it as outlined above.

milprileb
12-20-2012, 08:35 AM
No, the 303 Collet Neck Size Die from Lee will not do the 762x54R caliber.
You either special order one from Lee or go to a conventional neck size die such as RCBS.
Using a full lenght resizing die backed out will work but its failing me for accuracy at 600 yds
so its not as good as having a proper neck size die on hand to do it right.

Beekeeper
12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Well Gosh I'll Make Mine,
I said I thought it might work.
There was a post about which one would here on the forum but I could not find it.

Ohh well that is what comes from trying to answer someone elses question.

Sorry Dean for wasting your time.
Not being one of the "experts" does have its drawbacks.

beekeeper

abunaitoo
12-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Checking on what Lee has in Collet dies, it looks like a 300H&H die or a .303 die may work.
What might be a problem with others is the neck on the 7.62x54r is .350 long. The others are much shorter.
300H&H is .371, so it would be long enough.
Closest would be a .303 with a neck of .332, which might be to short.
The base would need to be shortened, and maybe widened. But if you have a lathe, it can be done.
I've modified a few factory crimp dies this way.
An 8mm mandrel can be resized on the lathe.
It might be possible to modify a full length die to a neck size only. Again you'll need a lathe.
Might be easier and cheaper.
CH4D has a universal neck size die. I think it's like a bushing die. You might want to checkwith them to see if it's for you.

r1kk1
12-25-2012, 08:45 AM
CH4D bushing neck die is interchangeable with Wilson bushings too.

Take care

r1kk1

rhbrink
12-25-2012, 09:17 AM
The bushing die is the way to go. Get a 300 Win short Mag die and use it from 243 to 358 Win. Just about any military cartridge around, Russian, '06, 8mm you name it just change bushings to fit.

RB

milprileb
12-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Checking on what Lee has in Collet dies, it looks like a 300H&H die or a .303 die may work.

No, 303 Brit die won't work out of the box . If it can be reamed out to work, someone please tell me who does this kind of work as I need to get one modified

daboone
12-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Here ya go: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/colletswap/index.asp

1Shirt
12-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Daboone, good thread! It is a KISS principle that works!
1Shirt!

Beekeeper
12-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Knew I read it somewhere, got the wrong website.
And as usual the wrong equipment but "hey" I said I wasn't an expert but that's "OK" as we now have an experts data to help us.

beekeeper

I'll Make Mine
12-25-2012, 03:53 PM
It might be possible to modify a full length die to a neck size only. Again you'll need a lathe.

This is probably the simplest method of making a neck size die for a cartridge in which they're hard to come by. You'd need to make a D-bit reamer with a pilot that's a running fit in the neck (and do this job before opening up the neck, if you're doing that also, since the neck honing will take out any marks the pilot might leave), shoulder angle broader and a body slightly larger than the chamber (measure a fired case for these dimensions). You'll probably need to approach this like finish chambering a barrel: run the reamer in a little, put the die in a press and run a case in until the die neck contacts the shoulder. If the shell holder doesn't yet contact the die base, take another cut.

Obviously, a die recut this way would have to be dedicated to a single rifle (just as neck sized cases are).

abunaitoo
12-25-2012, 06:58 PM
I always try to live by:
"If man can make it, man can break it. Then man can fix it and make it better"
I'm not even close to being good on my lathe, but I find I can do so much more than I thought I could.