PDA

View Full Version : One more day to shoot

Jim
12-18-2012, 08:35 AM
The forecast for Floyd is predicting a daytime high for tomorrow of around 60. I've got some test ammo for my H&R to shoot and I want to get my new 22 dialed in. After tomorrow, I think the temps are going to drop and stay that way.

Oh, I s'pose I could dress like I do when I got huntin' and get some shootin' done in 30 and 40 degree temps, but it really gets in this arthritis and gives me a fit. Ya' do the best ya' can with whatcha' got, right?

This gettin' old is gettin' old.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I went out yesterday and the temp. was 34 deg. There was no wind but after an hour I was ready to go. I bet after a couple of weeks of no shooting, you'll have those warm clothes on. We are expecting some heavy snow Thursday night. We need the moisture in any form we can get. My local lake is down over four feet.

blademasterii
12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Projected high today is 82. Merry Christmas from Florida. :D

41 mag fan
12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
The forecast for Floyd is predicting a daytime high for tomorrow of around 60. I've got some test ammo for my H&R to shoot and I want to get my new 22 dialed in. After tomorrow, I think the temps are going to drop and stay that way.

Oh, I s'pose I could dress like I do when I got huntin' and get some shootin' done in 30 and 40 degree temps, but it really gets in this arthritis and gives me a fit. Ya' do the best ya' can with whatcha' got, right?

Thats what winders are fer right beside the fireplace. Just make sure them there cats have ear protecters on!!

farmallcrew
12-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Thats what winder fer right beside the fireplace. Just make sure them there cats have ear protecters on!!

Hahahahahaha. Its been foggy here on the mountain for 3 days, and been in the high 40s. Can't do long range stuff.

oldred
12-18-2012, 10:12 AM

That's what I thought for a while but then it occurred to me what the only alternative is! :sad:

Ickisrulz
12-18-2012, 10:15 AM

The benefit of being able to shoot in your backyard is that you don't have to do it all at once or for very long. I love being back in OK. I shoot almost everyday. Normally for less than 15 minutes. It is so nice not having to drag a bunch of stuff to the range. I just grab one gun, ammo, eye and ear protection and I'm ready.

oldred
12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Ickisrulz, Lot's of truth to that, my gun range starts just a few feet from the back door and my nearest neighbor might be able to hear my rifles if they step outside and listen but no way could it be annoying to anyone. For years I lived in a "nice" subdivision with all it's "niceties", traffic, lawn mowers, barking dogs and a nice close view of other houses in every direction. My kids, the boy was twelve and my daughter was five at the time, just about went into shock when my wife and I decided to move "back on the ridge" here in Tn into an old farm house on an over-grown hilly farm with no neighbors within sight. In less than a year there was no way I could have gotten those kids to move back to that big nice brick house, they had learned to appreciate nature and the outdoors and were learning how to care for the farm animals and were simply no longer interested in urban life. The kids learned to shoot, hunt, fish and enjoy nature instead of roaming the neighborhood and playing ball at the end of the street. Neighborhood traffic and barking dogs were traded for whippoorwills and Owls at night and deer and wild turkey during the day foraging in the feeding area we made for them.

41 mag fan
12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
The benefit of being able to shoot in your backyard is that you don't have to do it all at once or for very long. I love being back in OK. I shoot almost everyday. Normally for less than 15 minutes. It is so nice not having to drag a bunch of stuff to the range. I just grab one gun, ammo, eye and ear protection and I'm ready.

10' out my back or front door and I can pop off as many rounds I want. I can sit on my decks, at the tables and shoot away. I got hills that surround my back yard that are 12' high, my front yard the north and south side are hilled.
I cant shoot east or north out the front, and north out the back, but i can all day long west and south out the back and south all day long out the front.
Love the country and I'll never move into a town except to die.

Actually...correcting myself..I've stood in both doorways and popped off rounds before, it was sprinkling out and the wife wasn't home!

sundog
12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
yessir, I have a 50 yard range behind the barn with a 6' river loam berm. Shooting is bench is under the leanto off the back of the barn. Nothin' like country livin' !!!

Jim
12-18-2012, 12:25 PM
yessir, I have a 50 yard range behind the barn with a 6' river loam berm. Shooting is bench is under the leanto off the back of the barn. Nothin' like country livin' !!!

You got that right, brother!

Jim
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Dang wind outa' the west at 15 MPH. I'm just hopin' the pines will break some of it. One upside is I'm only shootin' a hundred feet, so I might not have as big a problem as it appears. Wind or no, I gotta' get this shootin' done. After today, it's gonna turn cold as a pirate's heart.

oldred
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Jim you and I don't live all that far apart since I am upper East Tn and your description of the weather the last couple of days is the same as here. I got out this morning with 75 rounds of 500 grain 45/90s that I loaded up last night and I have already spent most of this morning listening to the echo off the surrounding hills, I made plans for this yesterday specifically because of this discussion and knowing the forecast was calling for today's nice weather.

1Shirt
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I try to shoot year round once a week, weather permitting, and if I can get into the range without getting stuck in snow, as the range is not plowed out. Got out Tues, temp was about 40 degrees, sun was shining, little wind (a rarity in Ne.). Shot 200 rds of cast, as forcast was not great. Wed the storm hit, got about 9-10", so will be awhile before I can get into the range again, so will be doing a lot of reloading and casting.
1Shirt!