PDA

View Full Version : mold acting up

MosinRob
12-18-2012, 12:05 AM
I have a lee .530 RB mold. I had it resting on the lid of the pot to warm up. Next thing I know My knee hits the table and the mold goes in. The lead was not up to temp. yet. When I pulled it out a big chuck of lead molded to it. Mold has not closed tight or right since. How can I fix this? Can i heat the lead up to like 800 degree's+ and leave in and try to melt everything off? Thanks guys.

asp
12-18-2012, 12:29 AM
I have blasted lead out of things that I didn't want it in with a quick touch of oxy-ace. It doesn't take much exposure, and it sprays out everywhere so be careful of direction. I don't know if this is the right way. It probably isn't the safest or best way, but it worked for me (on handles, not the mold). MAPP gas might work similarly and be a little safer at the same time.

SciFiJim
12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
If the big clump is melted off, then check the mold face for specks of lead that may be holding it from closing completely. Also check in the alignment holes for lead. If you can find no lead then set each mold face down on a flat surface to check if the mold block is warped.