PDA

View Full Version : WC or SWC or Truncated Cone and various associated questions

tenneesse
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Will WC's chamber in a Glock Mod 34 or will it be problematic? When I see pictures of WC's some have a small "cone" some are totally flat on both ends, whats what?? What is the difference between a SWC and a Truncated cone?

I have a Glock 34 on the way and will begin reloading for it and have read the thread about reloading 9's and will probably a few more times. I have some .358 dia what I called WC's (with the little "cone" that I may use after I check the bore size. I bought these some time back when I was reloading 150 gr .38 spl's about 100 or so left that I would like to try.

I have a 75lb billet of WW material that I will use when I decide on a mold. It actually came from a WW maker here in town. Im thinking about 115 gr SWC for the mold.

Ive read a lot about the leading issues in the Glock barrels and wont bring that up here. I may get another barrel maybe not.

Bored1
12-18-2012, 12:51 AM
I am no expert by any means but this should help clarify some of the bullet types.

Multiple bullet types: http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/tng_BulletType.GIF

Truncated cone: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/10000/1601133873.jpg

2wheelDuke
12-18-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't picture full wadcutters feeding in a Glock 34. I know my 30 chokes on semi wadcutters, so it gets round nose or truncated cone. I've never seen wadcutters loaded in 9mm. There's not much case volume to start with, So you couldn't seat them as deep as you would in a .38. I'm not sure if they'd chamber if you loaded them longer.

I'd suggest a truncated cone style as it'd likely feed well and still punch a nice hole in the paper. I'm fond of TC style boolits for semi autos.

tenneesse
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for that feedback guys.

bobthenailer
12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
The TC nose profile should be your choice !

gwpercle
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Tenneesse ,
If you are getting started in reloading purchase a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, a new 4 th edition has just been published but the 3rd edition is good also. In it you will see illustrations of different cast boolits and notations as to which rounds they are designed for. It will show you which designs are suitable for revolvers and which ones are designed for semi-auto's. Even if you do not cast your own the drawings will show you which boolits are likly to work in your gun . That way you can make the correct choice. There is a wealth of information in this book.

gary

km101
12-19-2012, 10:06 PM
The truncated cone bullet should feed more smoothly and reliably. I have not had much luck in getting full wadcutter bullets to feed in a semiauto at all. If you are just starting out in reloading, stick with the semi-wadcutter or the trunceated cone and save yourself a lot of grief.