PDA

View Full Version : nuther pan lube question

Rebel Dave
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi All
This is another one of those dumb questions. After you pan lube your bullets,and size them, what do you all do, with the lube that sticks to the base of the bullet,??. I don't think it should be left on the base, cause it would contaminate the powder in the shell. It takes me forever to wipe it off on 200-300 bullets. So how do you guys all remove it, if at all,??.

runfiverun
12-17-2012, 11:34 PM
i push them through my sizer.
this squeezes the lube off the bottom,it gets all over the nose of the next one.
but thats easier to get off.

Any Cal.
12-18-2012, 04:16 AM
I don't do anything with the leftover lube. I try not to touch it when i load the boolit in the case, so my fingers don't get sticky. No issues so far, but I don't shoot in the heat, so don't know how that affects things.

mdi
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Most of my pan lubed bullets only have a film/thin layer of lube on the base so when I'm loading I pick up the bullet and on the way to the press (mebbe 8") I wipe the base on a rag or paper towl on the bench (a twisting motion works best for me). I haven't had any problems with lube contaminating the powder...

9-toes
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm with mdi - I keep a rag clamped to a board for this purpose. One swipe and the excess lube is gone.

Boolseye
12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
I pan lube a little differently–I don't remove the cake from the pan. My pistol lube doesn't want to come out, so I remove the boolits with a pair of pliers. It works great for me, and the boolits don't have any lube on their bases. No damage to the boolits with the small, grippy pliers I'm using (slightest mark on each nose).

fishnbob
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM
When I pan lube, I use a cake cutter around each boolit. I don't remove the whole block either. There is a thin layer on the base and I also wipe it on a rag lying handily beside the operation.