PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a long gun in deep snow?

Bert2368
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm in east central Minnesota. My terrain is a mix of farm field, swamp and 3rd growth woodland.

I have been in the habit of walking the perimeter of a 75 acre property any evening the weather isn't too awful while carrying a rifle... Keeps me in shape, sometimes provides a tasty critter for lunch the next day. It helped me get to know the local deer and see their feeding and movements, pretty much makes opening day a lead pipe cinch.

Last winter was so warm/low snow in this part of MN I did this without much difficulty in a good pair of boots with my rifle slung muzzle down on the weak side. But it might be a little more snowy this year.

I've cross country skiied in the past but never did biathlon. Haven't done snow shoes.

If you carry a rifle in the snow, what's your favored rig- and why?

runfiverun
12-18-2012, 01:11 AM
carry the same as you are used to.
i carry strong side barell down.
the bbl is covered with either a water baloon or with electrical tape in an x pattern over the muzzle.
if it's raining i will flip the rifle right side up.
i keep flip up see through scope covers on my wet weather rifle also.

quilbilly
12-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I have been meaning to find a biathlon sling but haven't gotten around to it. When varmint hunting on skis, I usually just sling the rifle across the back so I can use both ski poles. It is a little slow to get at the rifle but haven't found a better way yet. I use the same method on the mountain bike on logging roads around here. This problem goes away when I am out with the T/C pistol in the shoulder holster.

waksupi
12-18-2012, 01:44 AM
On foot, I do it like Lamar. Best way to carry a rifle. On skis when I was doing predator control on the reservation, I did like Quillbilly.

Oops, had to edit, I carry muzzle down on WEAK side. That way, when you swing up the rifle, you are automatically locked up with the sling.

Bert2368
12-18-2012, 02:06 AM
This is what I like to carry-
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/Bert2368/P6180002.jpg

.22 Hornet CZ 527 with 2.5-8x scope.

I don't think I'm up to using a hand gun for varmints and small game here, I can often see to 300 yards or more and stalking to much closer than 100 isn't likely.

The issues of stable carrying on skis or snowshoes and smoothly deploying the rifle is what I'm really interested in learning about- I have a lot of practice on going quickly from my usual walking carry position to a hasty sling position kneeling or standing. As Waksupi says, from weak side muzzle down that works really well- Anything much slower could lead to missing shots, especially in winter without much cover and crunchy snow.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't have any sling suggestions, but let me tell you I am jealous as can be about your daily woods walk/hunt. I often walk our property in the evenings with the exception of winter (dark when I get home) but our property is only 6 acres and there is little in the way of game. I had my boys help me build a few brush piles earlier in the fall in hopes of some day getting a few rabbits to shoot at.

Bert2368
12-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I often walk our property in the evenings with the exceptionbut our property is only 6 acres and there is little in the way of game. I had my boys help me build a few brush piles earlier in the fall in hopes of some day getting a few rabbits to shoot at.

Add food plots to the habitat construction and you'll have a better chance of success-

When we got this place, there was a run down hay field and a 5 years fallow crop field. When we rented the crop field out, the presence of deer and pheasants feeding on the residual beans and corn increased. When I started planting a wildlife food plot, it REALLY picked up as the critters from the surrounding areas traveled to the food sources. A small bag of seed in an unused area is a good investment- I went a little overboard, did some roundup of the existing weeds, tilled and added lime to the plot as well. If you want deer, I can recommend planting a pumpkin patch for them. They LOVE pumpkins.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Add food plots to the habitat construction and you'll have a better chance of success-

When we got this place, there was a run down hay field and a 5 years fallow crop field. When we rented the crop field out, the presence of deer and pheasants feeding on the residual beans and corn increased. When I started planting a wildlife food plot, it REALLY picked up as the critters from the surrounding areas traveled to the food sources. A small bag of seed in an unused area is a good investment- I went a little overboard, did some roundup of the existing weeds, tilled and added lime to the plot as well. If you want deer, I can recommend planting a pumpkin patch for them. They LOVE pumpkins.

Yeah, I've thought about it, but we don't have much in the way of unused land! The pasture fence goes right up to the property line. I was thinking about shrinking my pasture a little to plant a little feed plot, maybe someday. The neighbors do plant a few acres of sweet corn, but I never see any deer working it over. I think I have only seen deer 3 times in the 5 years we have lived here, and no turkeys. The DNR must know about it too, because our county has one of the most conservative deer seasons in NC. If I keep enlarging my garden I'm sure they wil show up sooner or later! I do get to pick off a squirrel every now and again, right now I am trying to get one with a slingshot, before long I am going to have to start casting for it!

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Carrying a long gun in deep snow?

This is how I used to do it. ;) And how I will do it again here soon. ;)
I just need one Ash tree to call my own.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DOG%20SLEDS/5Allagash20with20laced20basket20004.jpg

Blammer
12-21-2012, 11:20 AM
for keeping in shape I carry my Garand, and a few enbloc's. :)

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I took a training with a fela that is a biathlon coach a few years ago , this is how he explained it

rifles are carried muzzle up with a snow guard

when dismounting the rifle from the slung position it comes over the shoulder in a hand over hand fashion flicking the muzzle snow guard off first then then pulling it over the shoulder

thegatman
12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
The deer love sugar beets here. They eat them all winter. Easy to grow for a food plot.

quilbilly
12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
The deer love sugar beets here. They eat them all winter. Easy to grow for a food plot.
Best eating deer of any species I have ever had was a mule deer doe that lived next to a beet field

nanuk
12-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I have been meaning to find a biathlon sling but haven't gotten around to it. When varmint hunting on skis, I usually just sling the rifle across the back so I can use both ski poles. It is a little slow to get at the rifle but haven't found a better way yet. I use the same method on the mountain bike on logging roads around here. This problem goes away when I am out with the T/C pistol in the shoulder holster.

I'd like to see/try a biathlon sling

Whiterabbit
12-21-2012, 03:02 PM
if the snow is low, strong side, muzzle down, butler creek caps on the scope, and a finger cot over the muzzle. My gun has a hooded front sight, the cot stretches right over. I never find the cot after firing.

If the snow is more than a foot-18" deep, strong side muzzle up. same config.

Bert2368
12-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Do those deer dig the beets out themselves, or do they need help? I've seen them paw up the top parts of carrot roots in my garden but they've ignored the beet roots, eating only the leaves. Regular garden beets though.

I've looked at Biathlon slings, they're Y shaped, carry kind of like a backpack.

The muzzle guard protocol sounds like I better drill on it before I get excited and need a new one.

jhalcott
12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
The deer do NOT need any help! As far as getting out in the snow, I DON"T! When I used to go out in the snow, I carried muzzle down on weak side. Muzzle and lens' were protected. I carried a pocket full of small balloons to replace the ones that were blown off by the shot. I had a .35 Whelen with tape on the muzzle one year in Maine. SOME HOW the tape came off during the walk. Luckily I spotted the snow in the muzzle before I got a shot. Returned to the truck and patched out the barrel. Looking for the tape I found some balloons from my kids birthday party a weeek or two back. Tried one and used them ever since.

MT Gianni
12-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I judged summer biathlon for a few seasons. THe slings requiire some practice and are not the quickest to get out of. They are very secure for holding a rifle. I have an oddball brand of sling that is a carry strap with the gun loose over my front chest. it hangs over the shoulder and down @ a 30 drgree angle. I can grap it with two hands and have it up to shoot in a fraction of a second.

Bert2368
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I have an oddball brand of sling that is a carry strap with the gun loose over my front chest. it hangs over the shoulder and down @ a 30 drgree angle. I can grap it with two hands and have it up to shoot in a fraction of a second.

That sounds interesting! Do you have a picture, or a link to an on line seller?

Just Duke
12-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I judged summer biathlon for a few seasons. THe slings requiire some practice and are not the quickest to get out of. They are very secure for holding a rifle. I have an oddball brand of sling that is a carry strap with the gun loose over my front chest. it hangs over the shoulder and down @ a 30 drgree angle. I can grap it with two hands and have it up to shoot in a fraction of a second.

Ah yes. My Anschütz and I spent many an hour on skies in CO. I did hear stories of days gone past when this event used centerfire rifles.

NSP64
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I found a pack of 2 -12'long 1"sinch straps in a package at wallyworld for $6. I threaded the spring loaded sinch at 4 O'clock position, then tied a half knot loop in it at 12 O'clock. I slip the loop/knot over the barrel then put another loop/half knot at 6 O'clock around the stock. it gived me an adjustable strap that I can sling over my neck and carry in front, over neck and one sholuder for strong side carry, split both straps and carry on back.
Plus If I get stranded or injured I have a 12' strap to use as a emergency shelter with my poncho, or as tourniquet, or to splint an extremity.

10 ga
12-28-2012, 11:50 AM
If we get anything like snow during the season here in coastal VA it's duck and goose time! Sittin in the blind(it's heated) with the guys, shotguns on the hooks, watchin and waiting. Heck with walkin around in snow. LOL, bro lives west of Denver in the mts. and has enough snow for everybody. For exercise it's putin out and taking in the dekes and retreiving the ducks and geese. I am certainly not into snow and cold. Heck, since we're both retired I'm trying to talk the wife into moving south to coastal SC or GA, it can get cold here. Best to all and Merry Christmas! 10 ga

MT Gianni
12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry, time got away from me. Here are some pics of the sling. No tags or name anywhere.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/IMG_0021-1_zps7d47fe3a.jpg Front of sling
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/IMG_0022-1_zps47cd9a43.jpg Rear of sling
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/IMG_0023-1_zpsad2f1748.jpg Carrying
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/IMG_0024-1_zpsce5b3a3a.jpg Shooting position
Yes my off eye is closed, I know but could not focus inside.

longrifle
01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
There is an old tymer back home that would snow shoe around and shoot squirls and rabbits in the fall, he would walk by my tree stand as I bow hunt, and sometimes would stop and shoot the bull with me he had a rubber strap that worked for him really well, I've always wanted one just never got around to getting one. At one of the outdoor shows lator on someone was selling them so I got a card and went home and book marked it.
http://www.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/
Rabbit hunting in the christmas tree fields I would use those big army white snow shoes, and if I was hunting along the Manistee river by Buckley MI. the old MSR snoeshoe's were the ticket. my rifle is a marlin 880sq with a standard sling, or my trusty .62 canoe flint. snow up there could get a couple feet deep in january so snow shoes were a must. any ways hope this sling helps out.