PDA

View Full Version : Question: Dillon funnel B for 30 carbine rifle, funnel C for 30 carbine & related

357shooter
12-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Guys,

I've started loading 308 winchester and getting up to speed on the different dies. Since I load cast I'm trying to figure out how to load on my 550, without having to do off-press sizing or other operations. I can find dies like RCBS that size, deprime and even expand the neck. I'd like to find a way to flare the case mouths too. I'm assuming that even though I'm using gas checks that I still need to flare them some.

Dillon sells these two funnels that I believe flare the case, the difference between them isn't clear.

I'm sizing my bullets at .311 and expanding to .310, and having great success. I'd like to get all the operations back onto the 550 though. My current process is a 5 step on a 4 station press. It's size/deprime/prime on a single stage, then on the 550 it's expand the neck and flare with RCBS, powder drop, seat the bullet, crimp just enough to remove any flare.

Thanks for your suggestions, advice and years of experience!

RG1911
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for the difference between the .30 Carbine funnel and the .308 Win funnel, and want to bell your .308 cases. (If that's not your question, ignore what comes next.)

Since I load both those cartridges on my Dillon 650, I disassembled the powder measure and dies, and checked the funnels.

The funnel (C) for the .30 Carbine measures about 2.36 inches long and it is shaped so that you can set it to bell the case mouth.

The .308 Win drop tube is only 1.217 inches long (since the case is much longer than the .30 Carbine's) and has no provision for belling the case mouth.

Dillon may offer a special funnel for the .308 so that you can bell the mouth, but I'm not famliar with it. If you can back the powder die out enough to accommodate the .308 case, you might be able to use the .30 Carbine drop tube to bell the .308.

Another thought is to use a Redding or RCBS sizing die that uses bushings to size the neck to exactly the dimension you want to provide exactly the tension you want, such as this Redding:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/668734/redding-type-s-bushing-full-length-sizer-die-308-winchester

I use these dies for loading for my long-range rifles.

Richard

Alvarez Kelly
12-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Dillon has what they call a "powder activator" for their 1050 line. Some have used it as a universal expander...

Or you could ask goodsteel if he would make you up what you need...

Russ in WY
12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
U mite try the Lee Colet Die . I have the 223 & as long as U clean the cases, & are firing them in the same rifle should work fine . may have to do a fl size & trim after several reloads . But it sure is simple, no lubing & wiping down B-4- U reload. get it all done on the Dillon 550.. My 2¢.. Russ.

garandsrus
12-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I resize and deprime the case in station 1. I bell the case in the next station on the same toolhead. These are the only operations performed as i tumble the lube off the resized and belled cases.

Trimming comes next.

After trimming, I load the cases using the 550 or 650 with a universal deprimer in station 1 to make sure there is no media in the flash hole. The other stations operate as normal.

By depriming and belling in the same toolhead, I effectively add an extra station to the press. I do not expand the case mouths enough to affect the other operations yet dont shave lead when seating a bullet.

wrench man
12-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Not sure I really understand either?, the "B" funnel does no belling, it just operates the powder measure, the "C funnel has a step on the flare nipple, the small end is .299", the step is .304" for about an 1/8"?, then the tapper will bell the mouth as much as you want? up to about 3/8"!

357shooter
12-18-2012, 06:54 AM
If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for the difference between the .30 Carbine funnel and the .308 Win funnel, and want to bell your .308 cases. (If that's not your question, ignore what comes next.)

Since I load both those cartridges on my Dillon 650, I disassembled the powder measure and dies, and checked the funnels.

The funnel (C) for the .30 Carbine measures about 2.36 inches long and it is shaped so that you can set it to bell the case mouth.

The .308 Win drop tube is only 1.217 inches long (since the case is much longer than the .30 Carbine's) and has no provision for belling the case mouth.

Dillon may offer a special funnel for the .308 so that you can bell the mouth, but I'm not famliar with it. If you can back the powder die out enough to accommodate the .308 case, you might be able to use the .30 Carbine drop tube to bell the .308.

Another thought is to use a Redding or RCBS sizing die that uses bushings to size the neck to exactly the dimension you want to provide exactly the tension you want, such as this Redding:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/668734/redding-type-s-bushing-full-length-sizer-die-308-winchester

I use these dies for loading for my long-range rifles.

Richard

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the tip on the Redding. Do you have to flare or do the gas checked bullet seat OK without flaring? That's the step I don't have a hole in my press for.

357shooter
12-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Dillon has what they call a "powder activator" for their 1050 line. Some have used it as a universal expander...

Or you could ask goodsteel if he would make you up what you need...

Thanks for the tip.

357shooter
12-18-2012, 06:57 AM
U mite try the Lee Colet Die . I have the 223 & as long as U clean the cases, & are firing them in the same rifle should work fine . may have to do a fl size & trim after several reloads . But it sure is simple, no lubing & wiping down B-4- U reload. get it all done on the Dillon 550.. My 2¢.. Russ.

I have the Lee die. I'm guessing you don't have to flare when loading cast, unless you found a powder funnel that also flares. Is that right, no flaring needed for cast w/gas checks? I bought a couple of the Lee expanders for the Russian dies, it expands to .3085 and only costs a few dollars each. The slip right into the Lee neck sizer.

357shooter
12-18-2012, 06:59 AM
I resize and deprime the case in station 1. I bell the case in the next station on the same toolhead. These are the only operations performed as i tumble the lube off the resized and belled cases.

Trimming comes next.

After trimming, I load the cases using the 550 or 650 with a universal deprimer in station 1 to make sure there is no media in the flash hole. The other stations operate as normal.

By depriming and belling in the same toolhead, I effectively add an extra station to the press. I do not expand the case mouths enough to affect the other operations yet dont shave lead when seating a bullet.
Thanks, sound like no flaring needed for cast.

357shooter
12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Not sure I really understand either?, the "B" funnel does no belling, it just operates the powder measure, the "C funnel has a step on the flare nipple, the small end is .299", the step is .304" for about an 1/8"?, then the tapper will bell the mouth as much as you want? up to about 3/8"!

Sound like B is no flaring, the C will flare if adjusted out far enough.

garandsrus
12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
357 Shooter,

You do need to belle/flair/expand the case mouth when loading gas checked bullets. It doesn't take much, but does take some expansion. I set the flair die so that the boolit will sit on/in the case mouth without having to hold it. It doesn't take much, but does take some.

I have the .30 carbine expander and tried to use it in station 2 as you are asking, but it is too long to use with 30-06. The powder die was barely connected to the tool head, if I remember correctly. It may work with a .308 or other .30 caliber rounds shorter than the 30-06.

RG1911
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the tip on the Redding. Do you have to flare or do the gas checked bullet seat OK without flaring? That's the step I don't have a hole in my press for.
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that with a good bevel at the case mouth and with a tension of only .001 or .002 inch, a gas-checked bullet would not have a problem.

Note that, although the exterior diameter will stay the same, a change in case brand may well affect the tension. For instance, I think it's still applicable that Winchester brass is slightly thinner than, for instance, Remington brass. So if you got a bushing for WW brass and switched to Remington (or Lapua, or ...), the inside diameter might end up a little smaller, thereby increasing the tension.

Richard

357shooter
12-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys. That's very useful info.