PDA

View Full Version : Changing Lube in a Star????

A pause for the COZ
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Is there a trick way to this? My new to me star has lube I would guess is 10 years old in it.

ReloaderFred
12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Heat up the machine and remove the sizing die. Also remove the 1/2" brass screw cap on the left side, as you face the machine. Then crank down on the lube tube screw and the old lube will come out the die hole and the side. Just put a paper towel under the side hole, and one under the die hole to catch the old lube as it comes out, sort of like a fat worm. You'll have to pull down on the handle to open the lube pump, but that will get most of the old lube out. If you don't have a heater for your machine, a hairdryer will work just fine to heat it up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

A pause for the COZ
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try. I have a heat gun that should do the trick.

boltons75
12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Or, take it apart and put in a big pot with some dish soap and boil till it's all out. Let the water cool and then peel the old lube off the top of the water, remove your star. Dry, oil reassemble and your set. It's how I did mine, and my lam when I got it.

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

A pause for the COZ
12-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Heat up the machine and remove the sizing die. Also remove the 1/2" brass screw cap on the left side, as you face the machine. Then crank down on the lube tube screw and the old lube will come out the die hole and the side. Just put a paper towel under the side hole, and one under the die hole to catch the old lube as it comes out, sort of like a fat worm. You'll have to pull down on the handle to open the lube pump, but that will get most of the old lube out. If you don't have a heater for your machine, a hairdryer will work just fine to heat it up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks Fred that worked like a dream!! Cleaned her out and loaded her up with a nice fresh batch of NRA formula. Lubed a 1000 357's in no time at all.
Actually in a little over an hour I lubed 1000 and loaded 150 on the Hornady. This thing is sweet!!!

ReloaderFred
12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
That's the easiest way I've found to change the lube out of my Star machines.

What I finally ended up doing is buying more Star machines and I just keep the different lubes in each one. Once in awhile a good deal will appear on a used Star when you least expect it. My first one was $65.00, and the most I've paid for any of them was $125.00. The cheapest one was free, but it took some work to get it up and running, since it had been sorely neglected by someone.

Hope this helps.

Fred