PDA

View Full Version : Tin kitchen items: a real source of tin?

RG1911
12-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I picked up some thin tin kitchen-related items at the junk store yesterday. Did I waste a few dollars or are these items that can be alloyed into wheel weights? (Yup, should have done some research before reaching for my wallet.)

Thank you,
Richard

GLL
12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Most "tin" cooking-related items I use are tin plated steel.

Jerry

cbrick
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
No idea what you mean by "tin kitchen items".

If what you bought is indeed tin, sure you can use it. Just don't know what would be tin kitchen items. Melt one and see what temp it melts at, if it is tin it should melt at 429 degrees.

Rick

GLL
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Rick:

A wide variety of specialty food preparation items are tin plated steel. I have a bunch of such as cookie cutters, molds, etc.

Jerry

Alan in Vermont
12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Melt one and see what temp it melts at, if it is tin it should melt at 429 degrees.

Stick a magnet on it, if it's tin plate over steel the magnet will stick. My bet would be that it's tin plated. Stainless may or may not grab the magnet depending on what type of stainless it is but it won't melt at any temperature we're apt to get it up to.

RG1911
12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the information. I never even considered it would be plated steel.

Richard

winchester85
12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
there is a bit of tin stuff for kitchen items. i have found cake tins and such. bend them, they sound like tin.

atom73
12-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Most cake tins and the like are aluminum.

evan price
12-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Most tin used to be terne, which was tin-dipped steel. Long ago that was replaced with zinc galvanizing. Nowadays anything called 'tin' is most likely thin sheet steel.
You can find lots of tin at thrift stores as junk pewter- look for shotglasses, tankards, ashtrays, picture frames, candlesticks, vases, etc. and look for a pewter hallmark on the bottom, soldered on not rivited, "Genuine Pewter" stickers, etc. and you'll get tin for under $2 a pound.

RG1911
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
The magnet stuck to the "tin" items I had bought, so thin steel. I'll have to remember to carry a magnet with me when I'm junk diving.

Real pewter items have been almost impossible to find, despite haunting junk stores and posting ads on Craig's List. So far, I've netted two goblets and a small cup. Pewter may be more available out East.

Richard

Beagle333
12-19-2012, 10:19 PM
It ain't available 'round here. I stopped by the thrift store the other day to check, and there was already 3 guys walking around in the kitchenware section, kinda halfway discretely trying to scratch everything with their thumbnail and see if it will bend easily. I don't know of any casters in this area, but they were definitely looking for pewter.