PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With This Bullet Remover...

BCB
12-17-2012, 11:26 AM
I got this critter with a large box of assorted reloading equipment that I purchased…

I assume it is some type of bullet puller…

I am glad I didn’t buy one of these things new!!!...

Is what is shown in the pic all there is to this tool?...

Which way does the insert go into the end of it—rounded end towards the threaded end or towards the bottom—the end struck on a hard surface?...

I’ve tried it and the case just flies out of the insert—boolit remains intact…

Don’t laugh if I am doing it all wrong or if this tool is some type of medical probe or such!!!...

Thanks…BCB

Newtire
12-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi bcb,
You probably just need to get a smaller sized insert. That's one of the good ones. The kind with the all plastic handle breaks too easy.

BCB
12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi bcb,
You probably just need to get a smaller sized insert. That's one of the good ones. The kind with the all plastic handle breaks too easy.

So there are different sized inserts? They appearently don't come with it or are they purchased seperately?..

trying2learn
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
They normally coome with it. Uowever I believe its the rcbs brand. Might call and ask if they sell them extra. The instructions are on the website I believe if that's who made it. Also a normal shell holder work for it from what I have heard. Too use it put the bottom of the bullet in the shell holder boolit facing into the voided area, screw the cap down on it and then firmly "whack" it down on the solid end in to a fiem object such as a block of wood or the floor. It might take. Few whacks depending on how firm the boolits is griped by the brass. Hope this all makes sense and helps you out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BCB
12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Questions answered and the puller works now that I know how to use it...

Yep, a regular shell holder works well...

Just removed a 45-270-SAA from a case. The boolit was in place with a very moderate crimp...

Two whacks, not violent ones either, and out the boolit popped...

It says it is distributed by RCBS...

Thanks...BCB

1bluehorse
12-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Naw, it's a one size fits all...slip the collet over the bullet and case, flat side down, place the bullet end into the "hammer" tighten the screw on part down tight, WHACK it on something solid (I use an old piece of railroad rail) may take more than one WHACK...some folks use shellholders instead of the collet, but I've also read that may not be a good idea....

BCB
12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Naw, it's a one size fits all...slip the collet over the bullet and case, flat side down, place the bullet end into the "hammer" tighten the screw on part down tight, WHACK it on something solid (I use an old piece of railroad rail) may take more than one WHACK...some folks use shellholders instead of the collet, but I've also read that may not be a good idea....

Ahhhhh, now it's coming clear to me!!!...

I just did it the way you indicated and it pulled a 280642 from a 270 Winchester case--again, a moderate crimp--couple of whacks and the boolit was in the bottom of the hammer...

Guess there are several ways to use this critter...

I did not have the collet in the hammer correctly the first few tries--thus the questions...

Some things are just not obvious to me...

Thanks again to all...BCB

nhrifle
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
That is the RCBS Kinetic bullet puller. I have one. It's great for saving bullets and brass but not so much for the powder since you can't get all the residue out of the head. The collet insert is universal and I havn't seen anything it won't work for. The flat side of the insert goes toward the tool, then the cap is screwed on loosely. Insert a loaded round until it bottoms and then tighten the cap fully. Grasp firmly and whack away. I use a piece of pine for a whacking surface since it deforms easily. These things are great for when you have a bad day at work!

trying2learn
12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I had the instructions and still had trouble the first time trying to figure it out. Hlad I could help a little.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sparky45
12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
It really doesn't matter which direction the collet is positioned. As a matter of fact, my whack-a-mole puller is about 35 years old and the collet is worn on the flat side so I get a better case grip by reversing the collet and just whack away. It's actually quite therapeutic.

gwpercle
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
I like to use a shell holder to hold case. Found they worked better than the things that came with it. Maybe the fits everything holder has been improved but mine was pathetic .
gary

1Shirt
12-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I use a shell holder as well! If it works, I try not to fix it!
1Shirt!

Newtire
12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
So there are different sized inserts? They appearently don't come with it or are they purchased seperately?..
Go to one of the sites that don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping.
Berry's has a puller with 4-sizes of inserts. The one you have has 3- available. That one looks like the Quinetics. The ones with the all plastic handles won't last as long as that one.

jcwit
12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Go to one of the sites that don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping.
Berry's has a puller with 4-sizes of inserts. The one you have has 3- available. That one looks like the Quinetics. The ones with the all plastic handles won't last as long as that one.

Mine has lasted 10 years now and yes I do use it, furthermore the RCBS is guaranteed forever, and it has a plastic handle.

44Vaquero
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
This interesting, I have had mine for 10 or 15 years and never knew there was a need for different size collets? Mine seems to work very well for .32 Mag on up! Were they just supplying spares?

Newtire
12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Mine has lasted 10 years now and yes I do use it, furthermore the RCBS is guaranteed forever, and it has a plastic handle. Yeah, I know, I broke mine the first time I used it. Hit it a whack and then it was a second before I realized the handle had broken and covered my head when it came back down again. Sort of surprised me being RCBS and all. Like you say though, lifetime guarantee is hard to beat.

Bent Ramrod
12-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think there are different size holders, if yours is the three aluminum sections held in a circle with an O-ring. However, after a certain amount of use, the lips on the sections won't hold onto the smaller cases. They will fly out the top on the back swing.

You should be able to get a new holder and O-ring keeper from Quinetics or RCBS.

The plastic head of my first Quinetics bullet puller broke to pieces after about two years of use. I called Quinetics and they sent a free replacement, which has soldiered away for going on 30 years now. A very good product.

zuke
12-18-2012, 06:23 AM
I have the same one and it's worked for 20 year's.

Newtire
12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't think there are different size holders, if yours is the three aluminum sections held in a circle with an O-ring. However, after a certain amount of use, the lips on the sections won't hold onto the smaller cases. They will fly out the top on the back swing.

You should be able to get a new holder and O-ring keeper from Quinetics or RCBS.

The plastic head of my first Quinetics bullet puller broke to pieces after about two years of use. I called Quinetics and they sent a free replacement, which has soldiered away for going on 30 years now. A very good product. Here's the ones I was talking about. 4 for $5.99 from Berry's.

C.F.Plinker
12-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Put one of the disposable ear plugs in the bottom to keep from damaging the tips of the bullets.

pt4u2nv
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Mine has 4 different collets for different calibers. The rubber rings are coded with different colors so you know which to use for different calibers. Mine also has a rubber pc in the bottom to stop from disfiguring the boolit. Have used it for years and it works great with no issues at all. I recently had to pull over 200 boolits because of a sizing issue and it worked great without damage to the boolits..

BCB
12-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Mine has 4 different collets for different calibers. The rubber rings are coded with different colors so you know which to use for different calibers. Mine also has a rubber pc in the bottom to stop from disfiguring the boolit. Have used it for years and it works great with no issues at all. I recently had to pull over 200 boolits because of a sizing issue and it worked great without damage to the boolits..

Are you using the same type that I am--you will need to refer to some of my early posts...

Mine has a black O-ring...

I think I have it figured out, but I wonder if all the posts are talking about the same puller as mine or if other ones are being discussed...

Guess I will try a .223 case in mine as that is the smallest head diameter that I have. If it wants to not work correctly, then there must be different collets for mine also...

Dang used stuff one buys!!!!...

Thanks again...BCB

BCB
12-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Just tried it on a 223 and it worked well...

So, I have tried the .223 Remington, 270 Winchester, and the 45 Colt--all worked well with the one collet included...

Maybe this is a "one size fits all" collet and no other ones are required...

BCB

rbuck351
12-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Ok, you have figured out how it works. Now how to keep it working for years. I have used up three of the aluminum collets on my plastic handled puller so I now use shell holders. Do not hold on to the handle with a death grip. Hold it lightly with a couple of fingers and the thumb right at the end of the handle so that it can bounce back easily. Use a very hard surface such as an anvil or concrete floor. Swing it very fast but allow it to rebound and it not only will work better but will last forever.