PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Rifle That Uses AR Mags?

Alan in Vermont
12-17-2012, 12:46 AM
A couple of us locals were discussing how it would be nice to have a bolt rifle that used AR mags. Is there such a thing? One of the guys thought he had seen something about one like that but couldn't remember who made it. I think I would like one of those better than an AR, being a believer that one aimed round has more effect than 10 sprayed ones.

GARD72977
12-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Mossberg is doing one now. Im really wanting one to convert to a 300 black out

bwgdog
12-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Mossberg-Friend just got one in 223-has to load single shot-long throat-rounds to long for mag feeding-had same problem with last two Rem 700 I tried. So far-for the money-he is okay with it-just put 200 rounds through it-no copper fouling after first 40. Lots more loads to try.

ROGER4314
12-17-2012, 01:26 AM
The Mossberg MVP rifle in .223 has that feature. The MVP has a nice laminated stock, heavy barrel, uses the AR-15 magazines and as a bonus, has a 1:9 barrel twist just like my favorite AR-15 barrel twist. That twist rate allows you to use a heavier bullet like the 62-69 grain Match King. Most heavy barrel .223 bolt guns have twist rates that require lighter bullets like 45-55 grain projectiles. The Remington 700 VLS rifle is in that category.

The Mossberg is unique and I don't know why a manufacturer hasn't picked up that AR-15 magazine idea before. I have noticed that lately some other makers have gone to an AR friendly barrel twist but to my knowledge, the Mossberg is the only one using the AR mags.

The Mossberg rifles are well worth the money!

Flash

GARD72977
12-17-2012, 01:55 AM
I was at a gunshow today and one sold for 539.00 Wish they would come out with the 300 blackout. Hate to buy one and re-bbl it.

Nobade
12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
AICS makes a plastic center feed magazine for .223 that fits any short action bottom metal made for regular 308 size AICS mags. I build quite a few Rem 700s with those, they feed slick and are very nice. Several guys have had me build switch barrel 700s on their tactical rifles so they can swap barrels and bolts, use everything else the same, and have a cheap practice setup on their 6.5 Creedmoor match rifles.

frank505
12-17-2012, 09:59 AM
The Magazine box conversion to take AICS magazines works extremly well, very slick and fast to operate. My Mossberg MVP is accurate, the more I shoot it, the better it gets. The best magazines in my rifleare the 10 round AR Stoner mags from Midway and the factory ten round mag. The larger capacity magazines are not so reliable and clumsy with so much sticking out the bottom. Mossberg has a new model, a short lightweight version that would be a very handy 223.

2wheelDuke
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I want to see that Mossberg come out in a lefty version. .300 blackout and lefty would have me scrambling to order one right now.

TheGrimReaper
12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I was at a gunshow today and one sold for 539.00 Wish they would come out with the 300 blackout. Hate to buy one and re-bbl it.

I second that!!!

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2012, 09:56 PM
The future of a rifle using AR mags. is not looking very positive right now.Robert

FWest
12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
The future of a rifle using AR mags. is not looking very positive right now.Robert

Not much does look good as far as firearms go but do not give up, that's what the anti's want.

I'm looking at the Mossberg MVP Predator now as well.

Griz44mag
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I ordered the Mossberg MVP Predator this morning.
It is getting very positive reviews for accuracy by the varmint hunter crowd.
I opted for the 18" sporter style stock instead of the 24" benchrest model, since I use my guns for hunting and sometime hump them across miles and miles of rough terrain.
The magazine is not a new idea, I have a several with box mags on them, but the 10 round that will also work in my AR is a big plus.
It will be here in a week or so, I'll do a range report after I get it broken in.

FWest
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I look forward to your report.

I ordered the Mossberg MVP Predator this morning.
It is getting very positive reviews for accuracy by the varmint hunter crowd.
I opted for the 18" sporter style stock instead of the 24" benchrest model, since I use my guns for hunting and sometime hump them across miles and miles of rough terrain.
The magazine is not a new idea, I have a several with box mags on them, but the 10 round that will also work in my AR is a big plus.
It will be here in a week or so, I'll do a range report after I get it broken in.

GARD72977
12-24-2012, 02:09 PM
I think that the 10rd mags are going to be safe.

Plinkster
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I also would love to see the MVP in 300 blackout. I think that rifle would flat sell.

Artful
12-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Now the MVP in a swap barrel in 300 blackout and 223 would be a real winner.

Dark Helmet
12-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Saw the MVP listed in 300 Blackout on Gallery of Guns Gun Genie.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=27718#
Not in stock though.:(

Artful
12-26-2012, 01:41 AM
But still - there is hope

Griz44mag
01-05-2013, 11:06 AM
The new MVP Predator (18.5" barrel) showed up late last week, so I finally got it cleaned up.

The initial cleaning led me to think it had been test fired more than just a few rounds at the factory as it required a pretty extensive barrel swabbing with ED's Red and Butch's Bore Shine to get the bore clean.

Once cleaned up, I mounted a Mueller Target scope on it, MU83244TD, securing it to the short rail segments with Leupold QRW quick release rings. The slots on the factory mounted rail are shallower than I would like to see, but the mount was solid and didn't seem to be any problem.

I loaded up 50 rounds of Lake City surplus brass with 55gr FMJ, 26.5gr VARGET and CCI #400 primers. This is a down the middle of the road loading for this round, and were loaded for the sole purpose of breaking in this new barrel. This will also generate a batch of fire formed brass for this rifle for fine tuning high accuracy ammunition for the next range trip.

The range trip, weather a very crisp 38 degrees, wind quartering in from behind us at 5-6 miles per hour. It was light gloves and a furry hat to keep the ears warm. Range is 100 yards. I benched the gun on two sand bags, pulled the bolt out and got the bore lined up on the center of the target. The scope was not too far off the sight alignment, but took 4 turns of elevation and 3 turns of windage to get it lined up with the bore.

The first three shots all fell very closely packed, but 3 inches off the target center. Barrel was cleaned after these first three shots.

The next 18 shots were groups of 3 each, with barrel cleaning in between. Scope adjustments were made after each group to walk the group into the center of the target.

Then I went to groups of five, with cleaning in between, until the breakin ammunition was consumed.

The end results are very encouraging, not quite sub moa, but very close to it. I really did not expect too much from breakin ammunition and a new barrel. The group in the picture is pretty much average. That group measures .973

My observations:

The length of pull is too short. I know this impaired my shooting as I need to hunch up and twist out of good shooting posture to get a good bench presentation. This rifle will be fitted with an extension before the next trip.

The bolt action is pretty decent, with the extraction from the AR magazine being a lot more crude than I liked. That feature of the rifle is one of it's main selling features, so that is pretty much a moot point, you live with it. The bolt locks up very nicely, and feels pretty solid. Extraction after the shot rivals a semi-automatic, it likes to throw brass far enough away that you have to go chase it.

The trigger is very nice. From the factory, it initially broke at 3.7 pounds. Since I use my rifles for hunting, I like a trigger with a little more beef than the average bench gun, so I like the trigger. It's very clean feeling, breaks like a good trigger should, and although I felt no need to adjust it, it is adjustable.

Recoil is practically non-existant. You don't expect a lot from a 223, but the heavy barrel tames even that to just a mild thump.

Accuracy from the initial breakin was very good. I am very confident that with proper load development, this rifle will be capable of sub-moa performances at ranges exceeding 200 yards. I think a bit heavier bullet will help produce a load that is consistently accurate.

The fun factor of this gun is high. With high capacity magazines, this can be a PD or rabbit sniping fun-o-rama.

If you get a chance to grab one of these, do it.

FWest
01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for sharing. I hope to find a Varmint model relativity soon.

Artful
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Griz44mag, did you use standard metal AR mag's (10, 20, or 30 rnd?) or did you try a plastic mag with it?

Griz44mag
01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
It came with one 10 round magazine, steel, it looks like a DH mag.
I loaded up a 30 round Ar Stone mag to try it. It works fine with the 30 round mag, but makes it clumsey and hard to shoot over a sandbag, as it is so long it will drag the shooting bench. That said, if anyone here has some 10 round AR mags they want to sell, or trade for (3 for 1) for a new in bag, unused 30 round AR Stoner magazine, let me know. The 10 rounders are just right for this rifle.

phonejack
01-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Tubb gun. Basically an AR15 with a manual bolt, left hand available. They are truly expensive, boy, are they accurate. Different calibers.http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/39825.jpg

Griz44mag
01-06-2013, 12:43 AM
phonejack,
After looking up a few prices for the TUBB, I think I'll stick with something a little less than 4,000 bucks. Dang, those things are high dollar!

geargnasher
01-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Local gun shop has had two on stock-order for a few months now, my FIL has had his name on one of them since the beginning, so if they ever come in I'll get a chance to finally shoot one. I like the concept.

Gear

Artful
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Griz44mag, did you notice a marked difference in stripping rounds from the 10 round vs the 30 round magazine?

Griz44mag
01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
No Art, I did not notice any significant resistance with the 30 round mag, other than the fact that it drags the shooting bench.
Out in the field, over the limb of a tree or something like that when sniping rabbits or 'yotes, that would probably not be a factor and would be a plus not having to reload and miss some of the action. Plus, it being a mag that is quick to change, would make it a game winner.

Artful
01-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Thank you - I'm looking forward to finding one of my own at some point and appreciate the information.

Combat Diver
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Griz44mag,

First thanks for the report. You might want to try a standard USGI 20 rd magazine in the MVP. Not as long as the 30s, thats what I use in my AR when shooting from the bench, hunting or inside armored vehicles. I noticed at SHOT Show Mossberg had a .308 Win/7.62mm version. Just read a review on it in RifleShooter Mar/Apr 13 issue. It uses AR10 mags.

CD

Griz44mag
02-03-2013, 02:31 AM
That might be interesting in a 308. I have an LR-308 and already have several 10 round mags for it since I do hunt with it.
It took 2 deer and a turkey this year.
However, for long range game, I usually take the Remington 700VSF varmint barrel, it is also chambered in 308