PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit user takes first place!

oldfart1956
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Ya'll remember me telling you about my older brother who wouldn't use cast boolits on account of they'd roon the barrel? Yeah...the one who finally tried them and liked them? Yeah...that guy. Got a phone call today and he took first place at the Oil City Izzak (sp.) Waltons Hunters Trail shoot recently. AND....he was using them Lee .358tl swc boolits tumble lubed with Recluse in his S&W 686. Targets are all off-hand at various range out to (approx.) 100yds. Go figger eh? He said next shoot he's taking the .44 since the H&G boolits are working so well. Thanks to all who helped make this possible! :) Audie...the Oldfart...

Thumbcocker
12-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Crow isn't half bad lightly seared and then baked.

waksupi
12-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Eyup. Told ya so. Saw it right off.

Wolfer
12-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Crow is a taste that must be aquired. At least it was for me.

reloader28
12-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Thats awesome. Kinda makes you feel warm all over, dont it?:guntootsmiley:

HighHook
12-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Aught to be dern happy about that'n

After a good 45 shoot I have show- off how clean my barrel always is compared to ? Well you guys know...;)

45-70 Chevroner
12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Crow is mighty tasty, but it does leave a bad after taste. I know because I have eatin it a lot, most rescently right here.

cbrick
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Cast Boolit user takes first place!

No surprise there. A few years ago I won the CA State Championship in Master Class Long Range Revolver with a perfect score of 60x60. Yep, that is a right good feeling.

But there is something about it that is an even better feeling, and a much longer good feeling. I won it with my cast boolits, boolits that I made with my own two hands. I was the only one of the top shooters there using cast and some the country's top revolver shooters were there, one of them told me before the match I should forget the cast and go for the win. I took half of his advice. :mrgreen:

Yep, that really is to this day the very best part of winning that match, my cast boolits beat the very best bullets money could buy. :drinks:

Cast Boolit user takes first place! Yep, what a feeling.

Rick

9.3X62AL
12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Funny stuff above! I'm not a competitive shooter, but the deep satisfaction I get from whacking a varmint or clanging a steel critter at the range with hand-poured & home-rolled ammo is substantial. Perhaps the BEST thing that ever happened to my shooting hobby was to get disgusted with the lack of bullets available for my 32 caliber revolvers, and resolve to make my own to service my guns. That was 31 years ago, and now my use of store-bought bullets is quite infrequent.

bobthenailer
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
In most handguns guns i have been able to duplicate accuracy with cast boolets .
I also have only been using cast bullets in various types of handgun shooting matches over 40 years and i was always one of the top shooters

1Shirt
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Eating crow ain't half bad if you are man enough to do it! That said, my dad always said "there is nothing more rightous than a reformed prostitute!" Admiting a mistake and profiting by the learning is what makes life interesting.
1Shirt!

cbrick
12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
my use of store-bought bullets is quite infrequent.

:veryconfu They sell bullets in stores?? :veryconfu

Really? I wonder why they would do that, seems quite odd. Some nut told me awhile back that they sell loaded ammo too. Yea right.

Rick

felix
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
This might taste mo'betta' ... felix

Silvercreek Farmer
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Don't go telling too many people, I already have to fight over wheel weights....

303Guy
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Lets not blame the cast boolits for winning the matches - it takes shooter skill and heaps of it!

leadman
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
It takes a top shooter with very good loads. That he used cast is icing on the cake.
I'm not a top shooter by any measure but had fun when I shot cast in a Remington 1903a3 in a 200 yard military gun match. Placed about 2/3 up from the bottom. Most of the top 1/3 were using AR, some with scopes. It was fun!

MBTcustom
12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
:veryconfu They sell bullets in stores?? :veryconfu

Really? I wonder why they would do that, seems quite odd. Some nut told me awhile back that they sell loaded ammo too. Yea right.

Rick
You joke, but I have been casting since I learned to shoot. My dad was a caster and a target shooter, and when he taught me to shoot, he taught me to make my own boolits. Several times in the early years, I looked at the ammo prices and suffered from sticker shock. $7 for a box of 30-30s?!? heck with that! I did end up buying some ammo to get the brass (before I knew about MidwayUSA) and hunted with factory ammo (yeah I bought the whole "speed" thing hook line and sinker), but I always cast my own target loads and shootin ammo. However, I didn't realize how effective the cast lead boolit is for any type of shooting until I found this site.
Now I take casting very seriously and labor over my loads a lot more than I used to.
Congratulations on a good win.

rintinglen
12-18-2012, 09:34 PM
I started casting to help subsidize my shooting habit. Along the way, somewhere, I started shooting to empty brass to give my casting habit some justification.