PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Case Lube

jcwit
12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I posted this on another forum and maybe folks here will benefit from my findings.

Guys, I have found a winner!!!!!

I have a product called Fluid Film that I use for rust proofing the undercarriage of my vehicles, works fantastic, stops rust dead, period. It was developed for the Navy as a rust proofing for ocean going ships and is basically unrefined wool grease/oil AKA lanolin.

During the above discussion I remembered the Fluid Film and this afternoon tried it. One of the hardest rounds I have to resize is .30 cal. Carbine, especially so if using a Lee Loader, the one using a mallet. This Fluid Film takes the effort right out of the resizing. Now I'm not suggesting going the route of the Lee Loader, I used it because its so much harder than using the press, and walla it works, even better than my old standby Unique Case Lube.

Fluid Film is available at John Deere dealers in spray, quarts, gallons, and 55 gal. drums. Here in my area the spray can costs approx $10.00 and is probably more than one would need for years/decades.

I have used Unique for 50 years with complete satisfaction, but this stuff even beats Unique.

williamwaco
12-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I have used Unique for 50 years with complete satisfaction, but this stuff even beats Unique.

That is saying something!

res45
12-16-2012, 09:24 PM
You can buy it online as well if you don't have a store near you. I checked out several and this one had the best price per product. I'll probably end up with an 8 oz. can at some point.

http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-C67.aspx

doctorggg
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Is it difficult to remove from cases compared to Hornady's One Shot?

jcwit
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it difficult to remove from cases compared to Hornady's One Shot?

I will probably remove it in the same way I do Unique, a quick rinse in white gas or reg. gas. Dangerous? No more so than filling a lawn mower. I happen to use white gas/naptha as here in Amish country its available at the pump.

quasi
12-16-2012, 11:52 PM
I think I will stick to Lanolin and Alcohol spray, it is much more affordable for me.

John Boy
12-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Might want to try Bag Balm. Been using it for 3 yrs to lube cases, including reforming new calibers. A 348 to a 45-75 - no binding or crimped cases for example

jcwit
12-17-2012, 12:22 AM
I think I will stick to Lanolin and Alcohol spray, it is much more affordable for me.

What are you buying lanolin for and at how many oz.

tbierley
12-17-2012, 12:24 AM
I have always used Pam Cooking spray. It is .99 cents a can and works good.

quasi
12-17-2012, 05:29 AM
What are you buying lanolin for and at how many oz.

Member Dealer Randy Rat

zuke
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Member Dealer Randy Rat

Just ordered 2lbs from him last week, and am waiting for delivery

rodnocker1
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Same for me. I had bought a gallon of pure liquid lanolin a few years back and at a 5:1 ratio (alcohol:lanolin) it comes out to under $17.00 a gallon. Prices hace gone up "a tad" since then,

doctorggg
12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Same for me. I had bought a gallon of pure liquid lanolin a few years back and at a 5:1 ratio (alcohol:lanolin) it comes out to under $17.00 a gallon. Prices hace gone up "a tad" since then,

Do you use plain alcohol or denatured? Thanks

captaint
12-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I think anything containing a lot of Lanolin will work well. I'm still on my first can of Imperial Sizing die wax. May never use it all. enjoy Mike

geargnasher
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Use 91% isopropyl alcohol, or higher concentration if you can get it to cut the lanolin. Denatured (ethyl) didn't work so well for me. For some reason lanolin makes about the best case lube there is next to chlorinated paraffin emulsions.

Gear

doctorggg
12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Use 91% isopropyl alcohol, or higher concentration if you can get it to cut the lanolin. Denatured (ethyl) didn't work so well for me. For some reason lanolin makes about the best case lube there is next to chlorinated paraffin emulsions.

Gear

Thank you very much for the reply. I already have some liquid lanolin so I am going to mix up a batch.

Hawkeye45
12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
91 percent alcohol is as high as you can get because alcohol is so hygroscopic that it will draw water from the air until the concentration gets to a stable percentage (91) .

jcwit
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
91 percent alcohol is as high as you can get because alcohol is so hygroscopic that it will draw water from the air until the concentration gets to a stable percentage (91) .

Everclear alcohol is 95% pure.

Check here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

jcwit
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
To those talking about the price of Fluid Film I purchased a gallon late last summer at our local John Deere dealer for $29.95, that comes out to approx $3.75 for 16 fluid oz. or 1 fluid lb.

Jailer
12-19-2012, 10:27 PM
You don't need much lanolin to alcohol for it to work as a case lube. I mix 1oz with 16 oz of 99% alcohol and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-Lanolin-Pure/dp/B00028MLKC

http://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Volume-Plastic-Container/dp/B003AOL1F6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_2

milprileb
12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Imperial sizing wax: goes on effortlessly, tumbles off quickly.

Why mess with all this other stuff, adding Lanolin, using solvents to clean brass.

There are tons of ways to do case lube but really, Gents...why make it so hard ?

quasi
12-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I am under the impression that Imperial is a mix of Lanolin and wax.

jcwit
12-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Imperial sizing wax: goes on effortlessly, tumbles off quickly.

Why mess with all this other stuff, adding Lanolin, using solvents to clean brass.

There are tons of ways to do case lube but really, Gents...why make it so hard ?

I'll answer this with a question. Why not mess with all the other stuff? If we were all just satisified with what was available we all would be using and throwing rocks. We never would have advanced to the bow and arrow let alone to where we are now.