PDA

View Full Version : Value of a star sizer

ktw
06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm looking for some input regarding the value of a Star Sizer someone is offering me as part of a trade deal. I understand the part about "willing buyer/willing seller" and "whatever someone is willing to pay for it".

The other party is interested in one of my rifles. This afternoon he dropped off a big pile of things he figured I'd likely be interested in towards a trade. I am supposed to put a value on his pile and tell him how much more cash he's going to have to throw into the pot to take the rifle home. I can put a fair value on most everything but this Star Sizer.

Wouldn't mind picking one of these up. It's not worth much to him, but I'm not looking to take advantage of him either. I've never used one. Has some surface rust but looks to me like it will clean up fairly well. Pictures to follow. Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/Star3.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/Star2.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/Star1.jpg

-ktw

ANeat
06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
My best guess would be $150.00.

madcaster
06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
ANEAT,
That's what I was thinking,sizing dies and top punches will of course be worth a bit more.

44woody
06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
KTW make sure that the die puller all 3 pieces of it comes with the luber if you don't get that it will be $35 more dollars that you will have to shell out to get one :castmine: 44Woody

Springfield
06-27-2007, 08:41 PM
150.00 sounds fair, maybe, they go for more than that on e-bay most of the time. A new one is 195.00 with the die puller. It looks like it has a top punch and a Star is best run with a bottom punch. But I bet you could grind it down and use it. It does look like it is missing the lock nut for the punch, though. 125.00 wouldn't be unreasonable considering the rust , too.

ktw
06-27-2007, 09:17 PM
... It looks like it has a top punch and a Star is best run with a bottom punch. But I bet you could grind it down and use it. It does look like it is missing the lock nut for the punch, though. 125.00 wouldn't be unreasonable considering the rust , too.

Thanks for the comments. Been looking it over more closely.

Has a 429 size die, and, as you noted a 421-ish top punch for base first sizing, rather than a bottom punch for nose first sizing. There is still a bullet (nose up) in the die. There is no lock ring on the punch - I was wondering what was supposed to keep that in a fixed position. There is no die removal tool.

I did download a user manual/parts list from Magma and will run over it again with that in hand.

This is turning out to be a pricey pile of stuff. He also had a lot of 44 Mag and 45 Colt brass (~1500), a high percentage of which is new-unprimed.

-ktw

ANeat
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
If you can use the .429 die my original estimate is about what I would give. If not, plus what the others have noticed about the missing items I would lean more towards Springfields $125.00.

One warning; Since you said you havent used a Star sizer. It will kick **** when compared to other sizers. You will not be dissapointed:drinks:

Texasflyboy
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
$150 - $175, maybe even $200 based on over 100 eBay auctions I've tracked on STAR sizers. Lotta folks put a premium on the original STAR brand sizers.

By the way, I purchased the die puller from Magma for $10 last year, didn't know they had gone up to $35.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Like was said its easily worth a 150. The die alone is going to cost you at least 30 bucks. and the top punch 8 bucks. I wouldnt worry about a little rust. In my experince they get rusty from not being used. Mine aint go a lick of rust on it and has sized a couple million bullets and all ive done to it is replace the plunger spring and the piston seal. You may think im a little crude but i threw alway my die puller many years ago. Its a pain to use and a little heat with a propane torch and the dies push right out with finger pressure. Ive been doing it for 15 years and its never hurt mine. If you can find one for under 150 without dies let me know as i havent seen one go that cheap for years!

ktw
06-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Lloyd, since you consider various parts of yours to be optional [smilie=1: I've got new and/or used 44 Mag brass to trade for any Star Sizer parts you'd be willing to part with.

Looking for:
1) the die puller
2) 452 die (and/or 358, 312-313, 310)
3) base punch and base punch lock ring

I am willing to order them directly from Magma, but I thought I'd check in with you first.

teaser: The guy I got the star from also claims to have 200+lbs of lintoype. I think he could be talked out of it, but I didn't try very hard on this round since I had already lucked into 100lbs of 60-40 recently...

-ktw

Beau Gee
06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
KTW, don't know if you've completed the swap, but I think the values I'm seeing posted are too high. My bestimate would be $75 to $100.

I am divesting myself of 2 star sizers, with some extra parts, due to a downsizing of houses. And, it seems that the prices I am encountering are not as high as on this thread.

Maybe there are just more buyers here than I've run into elsewhere.

Beau Gee
grotto22@verizon.net

Beau Gee
06-29-2007, 02:03 PM
KTW-- Just another thought. When I was very active in casting I was able to obtain varous dies and top punches for the Star from Phelps Reloading in NJ. These were quality items, at very reasonable prices. Don't know if they are still in business, but it might be worth looking him up.

Phelps also made a loading machine, had some excellent bullet lube, and an ingenious die pulling method.

Good Luck,

Beau Gee

ktw
06-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I am divesting myself of 2 star sizers, with some extra parts, due to a downsizing of houses. And, it seems that the prices I am encountering are not as high as on this thread.

Here is one that has two days left to go on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170125241875&rd=1&rd=1

My experience of intermittently and randomly watching them on ebay tracks with Texaflyboy's comment. I never wanted one that bad.

I have completed the deal. I avoided the whole thorny issue of discussing what the Star was worth, and what my rifle was worth, by only negotiating over the cash difference between his pile of stuff and the rifle. He ended up thinking he got a steal by getting a nice rifle for $50 cash and some old junk he cleaned out of his basement. I ended up thinking I got a steal knowing what I'd have to pay to go out and buy the stuff in his pile. All of it was useful to me and all of it was great trading stock. I am out a rifle that wasn't particularly valuable and that I didn't use much anyway.

-ktw

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Ill send you a money order today for a hundred bucks for one of them!!
KTW, don't know if you've completed the swap, but I think the values I'm seeing posted are too high. My bestimate would be $75 to $100.

Maybe there are just more buyers here than I've run into elsewhere.

Beau Gee
grotto22@verizon.net

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
The die puller and a 452 die are sitting on my dillon primer pocket swadger mounted to the bench in the barn. If im not around when you go through just grab them. The die is an extra that ran a little big. If i remember right it was closer to a 453 and i have a 453 so dont need it. There yours if you want them.
Hey Lloyd, since you consider various parts of yours to be optional [smilie=1: I've got new and/or used 44 Mag brass to trade for any Star Sizer parts you'd be willing to part with.

Looking for:
1) the die puller
2) 452 die (and/or 358, 312-313, 310)
3) base punch and base punch lock ring

I am willing to order them directly from Magma, but I thought I'd check in with you first.

teaser: The guy I got the star from also claims to have 200+lbs of lintoype. I think he could be talked out of it, but I didn't try very hard on this round since I had already lucked into 100lbs of 60-40 recently...

-ktw

ktw
06-29-2007, 10:30 PM
The die puller and a 452 die are sitting on my dillon primer pocket swadger .

Thanks, Lloyd. I don't have any plans to be passing by in the near future, but the next time I do I will stop in and we can discuss it further.

-ktw

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2007, 06:40 AM
email me your address and ill mail them to you. lws43@hotmail.com
Thanks, Lloyd. I don't have any plans to be passing by in the near future, but the next time I do I will stop in and we can discuss it further.

-ktw