PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Family Safe In The Event Of A House Fire?

No_1
12-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Published November 28, 2012

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), the standards-setting organization for the industry, has provided this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&list=UUiWxn1eVlnOQ8sZQqLL-ijQ) to fire departments nationwide to help firefighters better address the realities of fires in which sporting ammunition is present.

Are your components stored in such a way to minimize risk to your family?

Artful
12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Good Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

imashooter2
12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I suspect fire and smoke in house fires kill a whole lot more people in a year than ammunition, powder or primers have in a century. As long as you don't sleep or have to escape through the storage area, there isn't an issue.

Marvin S
12-16-2012, 06:17 PM
If you are not out of the house by the time ammo would be set off you are not goingnto make it. In 1987 our house burnt and my parents where killed in the fire from smoke. No ammo went off all though some got pretty hot. Butane lighters stayed intact also.

Springfield
12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Spend 100 bucks and put in a few more smoke alarms and don't worry so much about the ammo. And yes, mine is stored away from the house in a shed inside a locked old refrigerator.

Marvin S
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
The little cheap smoke detectors would have been a life saver.

Digger
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
excellent vid , but all that brass ...... brings tears to the eye's ..:(

digger

Geraldo
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
In a twenty year career of fighting fire I never saw ammunition ignite in a house fire. There was an article in Fire Engineering about an incident where a loaded M1 Carbine got hot enough to cook off the chambered round, and the way it was laying on a shelf it cycled a couple more rounds before jamming. The rarity of such a situation was the reason for the article.

I've said it before, the most dangerous substance I saw was cooking oil. Unattended oil on a stove accounted for a large number of the house fires I went to, one victim of 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and a couple of fatalities.

As a couple of posts mentioned, WORKING smoke detectors are the greatest life saver there is. In fires with working smoke detectors I don't recall a single fatality. Property damage was pretty minimal due to quick reporting time and our fast response times. In fires without working smoke detectors, we had a lot of fatalities. I would never sleep in a house that didn't have them.