PDA

View Full Version : Mold problem

Ruger45
12-16-2012, 12:05 AM
I have a problem with my molds. I don't know what's causing it and I tried everything I knew to fix it short of stoning it. Whebn I fill the mold with lead it acts like it's not closed completely, but I know better. I hold it closed tight as I can get it with one hand. It still lets the lead flow out from around the mold cavity like something is keeping it from closeing all the way. I've cleaned it, honed it(very little!) and it still does it.:-(
Any and help and or ideas would be greatly appreciated.:killingpc

I just hope I have this in the right forum!

Blammer
12-16-2012, 12:28 AM
put the hollow point pin in the bottom before you pour.

got any pics?

Bullshop
12-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Hold the mold closed and apply the normal ammount of pressure to the handles. Now swing the sprue plate open and look into the cavities while holding the mold up to a bright light. If you see a substantial ammount of light comming in between the block faces something is preventing the blocks from closing completely.
If so you will have to find out what. It is often times caused by burrs arround the alignment pin or thier mating recesses. Take a straight edge and lay it over the alignment pin recesses. If you can see light under the straight edge ther are burrs arround the recesses. I debur them by laying a wide flat file on the face of the mold and stroking litely across the face. If there are burrs there the file will smooth them first. Once it marks the face of the mold the burs are gone and the cutting if them will be visable. This is a very light handed operation.
If this is a Lee double or single cavity mold it will have to be delt with differently. You will have to visualy hunt for the high spot then figure out a safe way to remove it what ever it is.

geargnasher
12-16-2012, 12:38 AM

got any pics?

:bigsmyl2: You've done that too, eh?

Gear

GLL
12-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Is this a single cavity mold? Brand? A few photos of the mold faces/cavity might help !

Jerry

gandydancer
12-16-2012, 01:36 AM
what GLL has said. what make of mold? single or double cavity? Pictures would be a great help. GD [smilie=b:

220swiftfn
12-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Sometimes the alignment pins can be too high in the block, keeping the mold halves apart. If this is the case, they can be tapped back into the block to cure the problem.....

Dan

cbrick
12-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Sure glad I've never done that. [smilie=1:

220swiftfn may well be right. If the pins protrude just slightly too much the blocks won't close. If they aren't out far enough the blocks will be loose. Just like Goldie Locks porridge they need to be just right.

Rick

reloader28
12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Plus one on 220Swiftfn.
I had that happen once and gave me fits before I figured out one of the pins stuck out too far. I dont even know how it happened, but it did.

runfiverun
12-17-2012, 02:46 AM
it could be a minute burr on the edge of the cavity too.
it'll block the light or look closed from the top but is letting the bottom stay open a little.
i had one on the bottom edge of the mold itself that drove me nuts till i happened to run my finger over the edge..