PDA

View Full Version : sized/lubed my first batch!

birch
12-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Well, I went to the Birch Run Michigan gun show a few weeks ago and bought an old star sizer. Thanks to lathesmith and another member, I got my first two sizer dies last week. I finally got my hands on some medium hard RCBS lube, melted it down, and set up my press. It took about 1/2 hour to get the hang of the relationship between screw pressure, plunger stroke, and top punch depth and I was cranking out boolits like there was no tomorrow. I couldnt be happier with the press and see why there are so many die hard fans of these presses. They are incredible. I havent tried any other lubesizers, but I can't imagine anything could top these babies.
I know there are many people who have alot of trouble getting these presses up and running. For those people, I suggest they contact someone in their area who might be happy to help a feller out. I have a good friend who let me run a few through his press yesterday to see how the stroke should "feel". He also showed me how much pressure should be exerted by the plunger, and what to look for and how to correct excess lube on the nose and heel of the boolit. I am sure I will run into many obstacles, but as of now, I am confident and proud to own a truly great piece of history.
Thanks to all who posted such informative questions and issues in this forum. Your help was and is appreciated.

Casey

VHoward
12-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Awesome. Keep it up. We'll be here when you have questions.

ReloaderFred
12-16-2012, 01:10 AM
The fun has just begun! Now you'll be casting more bullets, just so you'll have something to run through the Star. It is a slick piece of equipment, isn't it?

Fred

boltons75
12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
They are great, looking at your handle, are you in the bitch run area? I'm just about 20 minutes south myself.

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

birch
12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I live about an hour and a half northwest near a town called Dighton. I have a good buddy who is a collector as well. We both look forward to the Birch Run show whenever it comes around. It is a good feeling being tired after going to a gun show!
As far as boolits go, I do plan on casting some 452 for my SAA this afternoon. I already look forward to sizing/lubing.

Rockchucker
12-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Congratulations on the Star purchase, It's only the beginning though. The air assist is a great option for the star, however the bullet feed is still on the very back burner for me, just can't seem to justify buying one without some sort of boolit collector and they're very expensive. Like others above said, you'll find yourself casting more just so you can run the Star.

Springfield
12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I have 2 bullet feeders and no collater. I just fill up the plastic tubes I get at Tap Plastics while watching TV, keeps me near the kids and wife but am still doing something useful.

birch
12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I have thought about the air assist, but I don't know if I would cast enought boolits to make it worthwhile. As of now, I can easily to 3-400 an hour. I am lucky to shoot that many per month. As of now, I am going to focus on finding/making the perfect lube. I mounted my press to a 2x12 oak plank that I clamp to the kitchen table for winter use. I don't have a warmer yet, so room temperature is what I am left to use. So far, I added 1tsp of crisco to a rcbs stick and it seems to do the job. I am thinking about buying an alox slab off ebay and trying the 50/50 mix.

boltons75
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Just got my package in the mail from lathesmith, and had to test it out.
Now I need to cast some more......

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

LGSO
12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Try a light bulb next to or touching the press. It will warm the machine and the lube. tt

6bg6ga
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
I have thought about the air assist, but I don't know if I would cast enought boolits to make it worthwhile. As of now, I can easily to 3-400 an hour. I am lucky to shoot that many per month. As of now, I am going to focus on finding/making the perfect lube. I mounted my press to a 2x12 oak plank that I clamp to the kitchen table for winter use. I don't have a warmer yet, so room temperature is what I am left to use. So far, I added 1tsp of crisco to a rcbs stick and it seems to do the job. I am thinking about buying an alox slab off ebay and trying the 50/50 mix.

I have coffee cans full of sized/lubed 230 and 200gr 45acp bullets that I have done with 50/50. I'm going to move on to something a little harder just to get away from the stickey lube.

VHoward
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I hair dryer also will work to warm the sizer.

birch
12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I had a buddy who claims he has dug boolits out of his backdrop that still have lube in the grooves when he pulls them out of the ground. We have found a few fliers from time to time. He is going to try a softer lube to see if his .45 glock likes the softer stuff better. I recently got a 1892 winchester with a 24" barrel. I think the hard lube might serve me better with that gun.

Thats funny because my buddy, who is a master when it comes to star presses, suggested I try the hairdryer/lightbulb trick instead of spending money on the warmer. He claims that he gets a more uniform heat from the lightbulb. All I know is that for some reason, I feel like a pioneer now that I have the lubesizer. It is a great feeling digging lead out of a pile of dirt at the range, melting it down, making ingots, dropping them in a pot, making boolits, and then sizing/lubing. I have tried talking my brothers into getting into reloading as a hobby, but they don't trust themselves to reload and would much rather buy 100 round bulk pacs for $30 bucks a pop. Its very funny how they have no problem shooting the boolits I make after they shoot their "bullets" all up. I think I am going to start charging them at least the price of lead! That seems fair doesnt it?

6bg6ga
12-18-2012, 11:27 PM
A heat lamp will work good too for right now and when you get into it deeper you will opt for a regular heater with some good control to keep the temp where it should be.

VHoward
12-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I had a buddy who claims he has dug boolits out of his backdrop that still have lube in the grooves when he pulls them out of the ground. We have found a few fliers from time to time. He is going to try a softer lube to see if his .45 glock likes the softer stuff better. I recently got a 1892 winchester with a 24" barrel. I think the hard lube might serve me better with that gun.

Thats funny because my buddy, who is a master when it comes to star presses, suggested I try the hairdryer/lightbulb trick instead of spending money on the warmer. He claims that he gets a more uniform heat from the lightbulb. All I know is that for some reason, I feel like a pioneer now that I have the lubesizer. It is a great feeling digging lead out of a pile of dirt at the range, melting it down, making ingots, dropping them in a pot, making boolits, and then sizing/lubing. I have tried talking my brothers into getting into reloading as a hobby, but they don't trust themselves to reload and would much rather buy 100 round bulk pacs for $30 bucks a pop. Its very funny how they have no problem shooting the boolits I make after they shoot their "bullets" all up. I think I am going to start charging them at least the price of lead! That seems fair doesnt it?

It might seem far, but you might need a license to sell them ammo. Legal for you to give them "samples". Not legal to sell them ammo without a license. I think a class 6 FFL.

wymanwinn
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
It might seem far, but you might need a license to sell them ammo. Legal for you to give them "samples". Not legal to sell them ammo without a license. I think a class 6 FFL.

+1...and think about the liability issues too, even from friends.....

i shoot a LOT of Cowboy Action and am often asked to load for others...always decline even though (as yet) i have never had a problem with my reloads....and if i lend a Cowboy Action shooter my gun or guns, they MUST shoot my ammunition....

wyman

birch
12-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I was just kidding about charging them lead prices. They are my brothers.

6bg6ga
12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
+1...and think about the liability issues too, even from friends.....

i shoot a LOT of Cowboy Action and am often asked to load for others...always decline even though (as yet) i have never had a problem with my reloads....and if i lend a Cowboy Action shooter my gun or guns, they MUST shoot my ammunition....

wyman

wyman and VHoward are correct

I don't sell, won't sell, and generally do not even like the idea of giving any of my reloads away. now days its all about liability and who they can sue and unfortunately this also applies to family.

Springfield
12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Man, you guys are tough. Both my brothers shoot my loads as well as my wife and kids. I suppose you don't let family eat at your house either in case of food poisoning?

6bg6ga
12-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Man, you guys are tough. Both my brothers shoot my loads as well as my wife and kids. I suppose you don't let family eat at your house either in case of food poisoning?

Food poisening may involve a trip to the hospital. Getting a bad load might result in a trip to the undertaker. I've see the result of a no powder discharge followed by a good round. Its not pretty for the gun or the shooter.

And its tough but fair...

HATCH
12-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Its your call.
Generally speaking I do not sell my reloads to anyone.
Now I have given a friend a couple hundred to have and I have given my dad thousands but its a issue should something happen.

And there is a difference between family and non-family.

6bg6ga
12-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Its your call.
Generally speaking I do not sell my reloads to anyone.
Now I have given a friend a couple hundred to have and I have given my dad thousands but its a issue should something happen.

And there is a difference between family and non-family.

Been there and done that. In todays twisted society its getting to the point where you simply must make the decision of who and if someone can be trusted family or not.

wymanwinn
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Mark,

i share my reloads with my family/VERY, very close friends (in my presence) as well....figured if they sued me i would disown them anyway...the point was that without proper safeguards/insurance/FFL, selling ammunition to unknowns/general public is a VERY risky business....and prolly illegal as well...

wyman

Powersgt
12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a FFL (06), Insurance and safe practice but I still hesitate to sell to the unknown. It's not that I fear the customer but cringe on the price of components even at the dealer price level. Most people how want ammo want it cheap and there is little room for profit if you want to compete. You have to sell a lot of rounds just to make a little bit, if you don't invest in the technology then you’re losing already. As they say “Go Big or Go Home.”

I would say he has a right to get his Brothers to chip in a little, either some money for components or a little labor. Besides it brings you closer together and that’s what shooting is all about anyway.

birch
12-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I know some people worry about family members sueing, but my brothers would walk to low and high ends of the earth to help me out in any way. I wouldnt think of charging them for ammo, but when wood cutting time comes around, they better not think of haveing something to do the day I put up 6 ric of wood!

VHoward
12-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I would let my siblings use my equipment to reload their own. Don't know about doing it for them.

LAH
01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
man, you guys are tough. Both my brothers shoot my loads as well as my wife and kids. I suppose you don't let family eat at your house either in case of food poisoning?

hee hee