PDA

View Full Version : Black Bean Chili Recipe

Boyscout
12-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I have been working in this recipe for about 6 years and I usually make a batch with my prime scraps of venison that I don't want to grind. Be sure to remove the ribs and seeds from the peppers as that only adds heat but no flavor.

Black Bean Chili Recipe

2 cans Black Beans (or cooked equivalent)
2 cans peitite Diced Tomatoes (Red Gold petite Diced Mexican, with Chipotle or Plain)
1-1.5 lbs stew meat, steak, or chuck cubed ½” (Beef or Venison)
½-3/4 onion, diced
½-1 Poblano Pepper, Diced
1-2 Japenos, Diced
2 cloves fresh garlic
Dried Spices
1 tsp cayenne pepper 1 tsp corriander
1tsp black pepper 2 bay leaves
White pepper 1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp cumin powder (chili powder OK) ½ tsp dried mustard

Condiments
Cilantro Sour Cream
Fresh corn tortilla sliced lime
Shredded Jack Cheese (Any cheese can be substituted such as Queso Fresca or Quesidilla)

Intructions
Sautee the onion, fresh peppers until the onions are clear, then add garlic and cook until soft. Place in bowl.
Brown the cubed meat with a little oil until it has a good crust. Do in batches or it will not brown.

Once all of the meat is browned, add diced tomatoes to the skillet and scrap up the browned bits. Add back in the sautéed onions and peppers, put both cans of beans (with water) and the dried spices together. Stir until well mixed and simmer for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, taste the chilli for heat/spiciness. Adjust dried peppers until you get heat you want. Don’t worry so much about flavor at this point as it will harsh. Put contents in a slow cooker on low and walk away for at least 4 hours. Over-night works even better. Check occasionally and add water if needed to prevent scorching

Serve with corn tortillas, sour cream, cheese, lime and cilantro on the side.
Note: Grilling meat before cutting adds some nice flavors too. Spice amounts are a starting point. For a full large crock pot add one more can of beans and diced tomatoes adjust spices to desired taste.