PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

chutesnreloads
12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Just ran accross this old thing.Will it work as a smelting pot ?55940

canyon-ghost
12-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Looks to be enamel, or enamelled steel. Probably a bit on the thin side for hot lead that will weigh considerably.

I'll Make Mine
12-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes, it'll work for melting lead. No, you don't even want to attempt to lift it if it's as much as half full; that pot will hold 80 to 100 pounds of melt which, at 700º F will completely ruin your day (not to mention your legs and feet) if a handle comes off -- and I wouldn't trust those handles for more than about forty pounds; that pot is designed for boiling water (and stuff added to water, i.e. soup and such), and a full pot wouldn't weigh much over twenty pounds.

Another possible concern, people have reported the thin enamel on similar pots flaking off the steel at lead casting temperature. Not a major problem; the stuff floats and you skim it like wheel weight clips and similar, but if you should miss a small piece and get it into a boolit, you could be looking at a permanent scratch the full length of your barrel. If you have a choice, I'd suggest trying to trade it for either an uncoated stainless pot with welded handles (not bigger than one gallon capacity) or an uncoated cast iron pot of similar size (like a Dutch oven) with cast-on handles.

chutesnreloads
12-14-2012, 11:48 PM
OK...Knew that'd be too easy since wouldn't cost me anything.

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-15-2012, 12:43 AM
OK...Knew that'd be too easy since wouldn't cost me anything.

Use it for your water drop

I'll Make Mine
12-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Anything free is worth hauling away (well, almost anything)...

possom813
12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
It looks like it would be a heckuva Campbell's Chunky Soup Pot :p