PDA

View Full Version : Loading by velocity

David2011
12-14-2012, 05:18 PM
This is nothing earth shattering; it was just an interesting observation. Caution: Involves shooting J-words.

A buddy and I were getting ready to go hunting. His work schedule had him at work from before sunup to after sunset so he asked me to sight his rifle in. This is a very cool rifle. It's a Remington 700 VTR in .308 that he uses for long range matches. It's in a JP Rifles chassis with a Timney trigger, aftermarket light firing pin and heavy firing pin spring and a 5.5-22x Nightforce on a 20MOA mount and Harris bipod. The rifle is very accurate and very consistent.

He had run out of his old batch of Varget and had 8 lb of a new batch. He was also out of moly coated bullets and had to go to uncoated so I cleaned the barrel thoroughly. I chronographed the shots, loaded with his usual powder charge, which ran faster than his desired velocity but still well below max. The rifle didn't group well compared to its capability. He loaded up some more rounds at .3 grain intervals, looking for a velocity between 2780 and 2820 fps. One load averaged 2792 and the 3 holes overlapped at 100 yd. Getting away from the target velocity the rifle was only average, shooting 3/4" to 1-1/4" as it got farther from the desired velocity.

Clearly this gun has a very narrow sweet spot where the harmonics are all in sync. With that heavy JP stock it was a blast to shoot, too.

David

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
if you wanna learn about 'velocity nodes" buy a friggin Handi rifle :)
Mine are as picky as a cranky old women

Love Life
12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
56148Ahhhhh the nodes. Many times I have discovered that the fastest load was not the most accurate load. I agree that heavy .308 rifles are very fun. Like this one...

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm no expert but in my humble experience very narrow "nodes" (whatever a node is) usually
has been a case of not using thee sweet powder for a particular gun/caliber combo or the bedding
could be better, a stable stock doesn't always mean its bedded optimally. :Fire:

David2011
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
The stock to action fit must be OK. He had the factory barrel removed and a 29" Kreiger 5R put in its place. He got a 0.072" group with his optimal ladder test 3 shot group. Before criticizing a 3 shot group, all of the ladder test loads were 3 rounds only and at 100 yards just to narrow down the bullet, powder and OAL choices. I can't wait to shoot it again.

David